Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zvezda 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer  (Read 1676 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Zvezda 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 07:00:50 pm »
wow, that's some awesome greeblie work!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 08:38:34 pm »
Wow is right Akimbo.....  Not sure how your build start on this slipped by me but I definitely have you bookmarked now!

I still remember the first time I watched this Star Destroyer zoom across the screen..... sci-fi fans the world over were handed some serious eye candy!!! (thanks Lucas).

You're posting some really nice quality photos...  but I don't see a Tantive V in any of them....  did your kit come with this little add-on or do you need to run over to ShapeWays?

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 07:13:24 pm »
Hi Wolf, and thanks!

Yes, I got the little Corellian Corvette with my Falcon 3D hanger, but set it aside for now. Waffling on even thinking to make this SD canon, or not. Leaning towards the not side.  ;D

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 03:13:39 am »
Great fun seeing how additional detailing has been added! :) Looks like fun too.

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 03:25:24 pm »
Dear God make it stop!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:27:37 pm by Guns Akimbo »

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 09:25:09 pm »
wow! That is looking amazing! The strip on the top of the side walls - is it needed because the sides are too short? I like it none the less.
Your work is very neat and tidy

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 11:12:52 pm »
wow! That is looking amazing! The strip on the top of the side walls - is it needed because the sides are too short? I like it none the less.
Your work is very neat and tidy

Thank you! And yes sir. I added a strip of 1.5mm Evergreen styrene to all the trench pieces. It's a common mod ever since most builders decided that the Zvezda kit's sidewalls are too short. I think that the 1.5mm height addition is perfect, not too tall, but grants enough space to cram greeblies in lol. One must keep in mind that you will also have to add corresponding height to the internal braces and the rear engine bulkhead.

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 03:59:28 am »
That's something I didn't know about this kit. I'm not sure I will do the same, although I am liking the results
What are you using for greeblies other than ship parts?

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 08:02:08 pm »
That's something I didn't know about this kit. I'm not sure I will do the same, although I am liking the results
What are you using for greeblies other than ship parts?

If you search for "model kit lots" on Ebay, you'll often run across sellers who are unloading sprues of spares, often from military kits. I got this for around $35 shipped:

Advantage is you have LOTS of multiple parts.

Disadvantage is most of the stuff is out of scale, so either you must modify (i.e. cut it down) or it's just plain unusable in some cases. I'm also using copious amounts of Evergreen styrene strips, rods, tubes and sheet.  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:04:20 pm by Guns Akimbo »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 10:31:53 am »
Guns,

Love the detail and greebly work!!

Your (anybody's really) adventures on Ebay are astounding! Maybe I am too leary of buying anything through that portal, but, then again, I have seen some really sweet finds happen, too.

Keep going on the build. As I said, loving the detail!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 10:37:19 am »
Minor teeny-weeny update:

One feature that I recall in TESB was an overhead pass by an ISD just prior to Vader's Executor reveal. In it, you can see the details beneath the port side of the command bridge, and the one thing that stood out to me was some sort of open access bay:

So I decided to recreate it. At most I may need a tiny pico led for illumination, or maybe nothing more than a few bundled fiber optic strands leading from the primary LED for the bridge.

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 05:47:22 pm »
I intend to do the exact same thing and open that port hole up
Great to see you updating this thread again

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 06:32:44 pm »
that's some truly incredible detail.  I find myself drooling at the possibilities.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 04:25:27 am »
Love watching both you and Madhatter going in different directions with your greeble art....   really makes a big improvement.

Your latest post regarding the open port reminds me of a thread I was reading at the RPF some years back when Salzo was just making his molds of the BSG....   quite a few people were helping out by studying photo's of the filming model to identify all the greebles on that model, and identifying which tank, warship, or other kit bashed parts were used by the builders of the original studio BSG.

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Enterprise © Bloc