Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1000 USS Defiant NX-74205 - Lighted  (Read 256 times)

Offline Valiant

• Lieutenant
1/1000 USS Defiant NX-74205 - Lighted
« on: June 15, 2018, 07:32:33 pm »
I'm really excited to share this with everyone. I haven't seen a post on it, and wanted to get word out about this excellent model. Polar Lights really did an outstanding job on this kit. The ship has a very good accurate shape, the hull grid lines are molded into the kit (more on this though in a second) the clear parts provided will prevent the need for casting or buying new after market parts, and the deflector/nose of the ship is greatly redesigned - 1. its a separate piece 2. from the best of all the studio model pics I've seen it looks like its attached to the hull in a very similar fashion.

Like most kits, there's some things its missing, but not severe like the large AMT version.

1. Grid lines. With a little more effort they really could have made them a 10 out of 10, but overall its about an 8 out of 10. The lines are nice, but they don't wrap around the hull like the studio model does. This means if you want to get a good studio model work, you'll have to engrave them. This is hardly as bad as doing the large AMT (I'm still only halfway through it on my large, and its those monsters that led me to take a break and do the Enterprise D here).

2. The aft vents. I have no clue what they are, but they're on top of the hull, glow red, and are just aft of where engineering should be. This is a major set back for the kit. The detail is very small, and to open it up you would need to cut strait lines less than .5 mm, probably more around .25 mm in width. I have no clue how to light that while light blocking the other parts within it. Will have to cross that bridge later. I'm up for any input anyone may have on that.

3. talking of bridges (ok bad pun/lead-in) something seems off on the height of it. I had to go back in on all the studio model reference I have, which is probably less than many people's but anyway, from what I can tell the center most circle seems to have 2 layers to it, and the kit only has 1. minor nit-pick to most, but I was planning on an SMD to light that dome area up similar to the studio model in some shots and I'll need that extra height to hopefully get a little bit of spotlight bleed over the outer most rim onto the ship name.

4. Aft warp nacelles. Most people won't care, and for simplicity of the kit, I see the logic of it, but since I plan on building an interior and lighting rig for the warp nacelles, having the grills a full solid clear piece will be a pain.

Overall, I give the kit an 8.5 out of 10. I really like it, it lends itself well to lighting minus the engineer plasma vents, and the detail is nice.

20180612_190938 by Joseph, on Flickr

20180612_190546 by Joseph

20180612_190600 by Joseph

20180612_190614 by Joseph

20180612_190634 by Joseph

20180612_190650 by Joseph

20180612_190704 by Joseph

Hope you all enjoy!

Offline jazzydog

• Lieutenant
Re: 1/1000 USS Defiant NX-74205 - Lighted
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:41:10 pm »
Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 09:44:11 am »
Can you highlight the spot where the tiny channels for wiring are located?  I have a couple ideas but want to see the big picture first.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Valiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 11:22:27 am »
Its the 5th picture. Those "vents" on top just aft of the bridge are solid and opaque. They should glow red between the raised details.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:31:18 pm by Valiant »

Offline holt35

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:56:24 pm »
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out Valiant!  I just finished my first Defiant last week but I enjoyed building it so much I ordered another one to build as the Sao Paulo, really fun kit to work on!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 07:41:27 am »
This is looking good, Valiant!

Keep 'er going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Valiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 10:13:17 am »
Thank you for the interest!

Right now I'm in a close analysis stage of the model. They did a great job of the dimensions, but I'm finding more subtle errors in the gridlines than I initially thought. Basically if a gridline went over any curve more than about 45 degrees they just discontinued it. Its very apparent on the leading edges, but quite annoying once I noticed it, its alk around the bridge deck too. So between matching up grids to the studio model and adding them in, progress is slow.

Enterprise © Bloc