Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monogram Maquis Ship  (Read 1181 times)

Offline AlW

• Captain
Re: Monogram Maquis Ship
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 04:59:52 am »
Hi there!

After buttoning up the Raider and taking care of some seam issues, it's time to select the color pallet for the myriad of panels, vents and covers.  After studying photos of the studio model, work done on SFMA by Lewilsons, on Starship Modeler by Carlos Zangrando, and elsewhere by Warren Zoell, I'm convinced there's no one way or right way to paint this ship.  It's probably because it had limited screen appearances and even then, there are at least two painted and lighted versions of the same ship!

This creates a lot of space for determining the look you want to achieve.  The screen caps and box art have the ship darker, dirtier and more sinister looking than the kit paint guide would seem to produce.  Zangrando's version has multiple dark washes, while Zoell's is more pristine and...colorful!

I'm settling on a paint pallet that is darker with more saturated colors.  After a primer coat of Tamiya gray surface primer, I'll use a mix of MM Light Ghost Gray and Neutral Gray at a 3:1 ratio for the base coat.  I like the slightly bluish tone of GG but reduced by the neutral gray.  The next predominant color is applied to the trapezoidal panels that ring the front of the ship, the trailing edges of the wings and elsewhere.  For those I'm going with Tamiya Duraluminum.  It's not a bright metallic and should look good against the gray mixture.  Other colors are as indicated on the test sheets below which have been applied over the primer color.  The only one I'm not quite satisfied with is the Desert Tan, which I think is a bit too bright for the large grills on wings.  May still work on this one.

Thanks for following along.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 07:14:02 am »
Al, your color pallets remind me of my girls while they were in Art School; we had these things sitting around the house forever! :)

Love the process, though. I, too, have been working on shade selection for my C and I'll post about it in a minute. I should have done what you did rather than what I did; too much work. :)

I'm glad you settled on your own color scheme. This will indeed make it your's!

Can't wait to see what you do with this!

Post when you can; I'll be watching!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 06:20:41 am »
Hey, Steve, I can't help myself with the color pallet!  For me there's always three sorts of plans before beginning a kit -- a lighting plan, paint scheme and assembly sequence.  If I don't map it out, I'll most probably leave something out;)

The updates for the next few weeks will just hours of masking followed by minutes of airbrushing!  With all the details provided on the hull, there's a lot of opportunities to bring them out with contrast painting.  The kit and studio model provide only the basics for what you can do if you're willing to take creative license with the Voyager "script".

In the photos that follow you can see I've painted the major vents in Vallejo German Gray.  It's a great color, not flat black but with a hint of gray and a good contrast to the neutral gray/ghost gray base color.  I've also masked all the areas that will get Vallejo's blue gray acrylic next -- somewhere around four to five hours of mask work!

Thanks for looking.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 08:44:26 am »
Hi there!

Spent a good couple hours every day this week, masking, painting and repeating the process for the major colors on the ship.  It's coming along pretty well, and I'm generally pleased with the colors and the way the paints are behaving.  Since I'm using a combination of Tamiya, ModelMasters and Vallejo paints, I have to keep in mind they don't all have the same thinning ratios or even use the same thinner!

Having said that, the only paint I'm questioning using is the Vallejo Metal Color Duraluminum.  Right now I've only applied this paint to the wings, but it has extensive application to the hull for the "plated" surfaces, or what resembles Aztecs.   The problem is that it seems to scuff easily.  With all the masking that has to be done for the variety of colors I'm using, it just seems to be a bit fragile.  If it was dull coated, I'm sure it wouldn't be problem, but I won't be dull coating till the very end.  It's a great color and airbrushes extremely well for a metallic however.

Anyway, I'm going to experiment with Tamiya's Metallic Gray which should be more durable, if not exactly the right color I was looking for.

The following photos are WIP painting pics.  I figure I have the major areas covered but still have to do all the plating and a number of greebles to bring out more texture and highlights.

Thanks for the comments and happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for looking:)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 09:11:19 am »
Al,

Your paint work is phenomenal! It is so clean, precise, exactly in place! Absolutely awesome!

Sorry I haven't been commenting on your posts. RL has me running in circles so much so that I haven't had the time to post. But I have been lurking! (Does that count?!)

Seriously, if my masking turns out half as well as yours, I'll be happy!

Keep going! Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 04:14:51 pm »
Hey Steve, thanks for the kind words.  Lots of masking, that's for sure -- been thru two rolls each of 6mm and 18mm Tamiya tape and I'm guessing I'm about 3/4 finished!  What's that, at least a couple hundred feet of tape?

I changed from using the Duraluminum for the paneling/Azteks to the Tamiya Gray Metallic.  It's a lot more forgiving and because it's not as bright, it seems to go better with the intensity of the other colors I've selected.

I'm declaring victory on painting the bottom of the hull!  Famous last words, I know, but until the rest of the ship comes together I hesitate adding more color or more accent painting.  If I go with a filter or a wash or both, that should be enough to both unify the colors and accentuate the grid lines, vents and covers.

So, attached are photos of the hull bottom and the wings with struts now attached.

Thanks for following along.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 06:54:06 am »
Hi Everyone,

After completing the detailed painting of the bottom hull, I decided to take a break before beginning the top hull plating, and begin thinking about the way I want to display the Maquis ship.

For those of you who have seen my other builds, you know I like the base to be consistent with the overall look of the ship.  Since I'm painting the ship in more saturated colors with overall gray tones and washes, I've chosen a bare galvanized metal box as the base.  In keeping with my original intention of posing the ship in a downward attack angle, I'll be using the gooseneck shown previously to attach ship and base.  Since the ship still has some top hull details to be painted and it would be cumbersome to orient it right now, I'm using a cardboard cutout for staging and to get an idea for where various components need to be placed.

After a lot of fooling around with it, I decided to mount the gooseneck to the center rear but have the ship angled down and to the right to create some action and drama.  The front photon torpedos will be firing randomly, so it's important that they be clearly visible as well.  The power jack is mounted to the rear left side, and two illuminated switches will go in the left front lower corner, one for powering up all the lights and one for putting the torpedos in a demo mode.  The Starling card will go in the base behind the power jack.  I'm thinking of a large Maquis emblem decal for the front of the box but that's still TBD.  Hopefully, when it all comes together, it will have a slightly industrial grunge look.

About the time I got it all assembled with the cardboard "ship" to where you see it below in the photos, my wife entered my shop and said "I thought you were going to light it!"  What a great laugh we had!  Enjoy the photos and thanks for looking.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 07:44:25 am »
Al, your paint job is precise, beautiful and enviable! Nicely done!

I agree with your wife - where are the lights?! ;) I can almost see the outline of the ship, too!

This is indeed awesome!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 04:24:48 pm »
Hey Steve, thanks for the kind words:)  That's all you need is a few hundred feet of masking tape in 2mm, 6mm and 18mm widths and anyone can do it!

I put my cardboard toys away and got back to masking for the top hull plating Azteks.  So, after two days of masking and five minutes of airbrushing, I think I'm finished with the painting.  I'm tempted to keep going with all the detail, but I'm afraid it can quickly become "cartoonish".  I think a good black/brown wash will integrate the colors I have nicely and further accentuate the details.

Next up will be to put a satin clear coat over the ship before applying the wash.  I also want to make a couple small decals of the Maquis symbols (~10mm) to apply to the rear fins.  The wash would come after that.  Then wiring up the base, the Starling cards, switches, etc.

Still some work ahead but the end is in sight!

Photos of the top hull Aztecs painted in Tamiya Gray Mettalic are attached.  Thanks for looking.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 04:43:46 am »
This paint job is awesome. The wash would be a nice finishing touch. Very well done.
Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
www.NemVia.net

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 05:00:52 am »
Hey Mark, thanks for the kind words:)  I was liking the overall color palette too so it was with considerable trepidation that I applied the wash.  But the "industrial grime" look was what I was going for when I started this project, so I jumped in with a mop-style soft brush, a moistening application of enamel thinner and followed with a couple thinly applied coats of brown/black enamel wash.

First, though, a few words about assembling the base and electronics.  I took the Starling Nav/Strobe/Torpedo card along with the sound card and speaker and attached them to an ABS sheet for sliding into the galvanized base.  There are two LED lighted switches on the front of the base, one for on/off and the other a momentary push button for firing the torpedoes either singularly or in a continuously random demo mode.  (Stan at Starling was great to provide this mode).

The base is maybe 18 gauge galvanized so with the gooseneck mounted on the back and the ship coming over the base from back to front, it was going to be rear-heavy, so I hot glued six 2x2 steel bearing plates to the inside front panels to balance out the weight of the ship.  It's not going anywhere!

The enamel wash was applied as I mentioned above over the coarse of a week to let the multiple coats dry.  Some areas had two applications while others had as many as four to dirty things up.  As expected the wash darkened the overall look of the ship, toned down the metallic Aztec panels, and unified the pastels with the various grays.  The Maquis symbol custom decals on the rear "fins" also look reasonably good with the wash applied over them.  All in all, it's looking pretty threatening!

Next up, and probably the last post here, will be getting the ship mounted and the electronics rung out.  Very close to calling this a wrap!

Thanks for looking.  Photos follow.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 07:25:02 am »
Al,

This is looking great! I love the work you did on the display stand; the lighted buttons, the connectors for the buttons, the holes through the wall with grommets!

Dude! (Can I call you Dude?) This is truly awesome!

I love the wash on the ship. As this ship was small enough to go into atmosphere, I think it would have a fair bit of grim on it. Well done!

Thanks for a peek at the electronics. I really am in awe of the knowledge and expertise of these aftermarket electronic boards people. Too Cool!

Can't wait to see the final product! Or to see it win in a show!

Stay strong!

Steve

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 05:31:15 pm »
Hey, thanks, Steve!  I'm okay with Dude;)  Thanks for the kind comments, although the way you recover from some of the "technical" challenges you've had in your builds is really commendable:)

I still have to get the Maquis decal I made applied to the base and everything hooked up and ready to go.  I'm hopeful it'll look good enough to enter into a couple IPMS shows.  We'll see!

More to come soon. 

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 06:36:31 pm »
I have serious paint job envy.  Well done!  8)
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 07:11:56 am »
Thanks, Scott.  I think what made the biggest difference in my painting was going from the knock-off Iwata airbrushes to a genuine Iwata HPCS brush.  I used to struggle with clogs, uneven paint application and paint sessions that were interrupted with all these issues.  Some of it was experience in how best to thin the various paints, but a lot of it was the fact that the "imitations" are not that precisely engineered -- poor taper on the tip, bad axial alignment through the barrel, etc.

Using the Testor's transparent decal paper and a Maquis symbol I picked up off the internet, I printed a fairly large decal, almost 4" x 6".  I was dreading having to slide the decal off its backing, so I probably overcoated it with Decal Bonder.  I think I put on three coats and the last was pretty heavy.  It seemed to work, though, and I didn't have any issues maneuvering it into place.  After a couple coats of MicroSol, then Dullcoat, it looked pretty good with the galvanized mottling show through.

Mounting the gooseneck and ship to the base was straightforward since there aren't that many wires to feed through.  I have a knurled nut at the base of the ship so I can position the ship downward and slightly to the right and then tighten up the nut.

There a two pushbuttons on the front, one controls the general lighting and powers the Starling card which in turn powers the navs and strobe.  The second fires the ship's front torpedoes either once or in a random loop.

It's time to declare victory on this one!  I'll post a few photos here and a full set in the "gallery" very soon!

Thanks for following and your comments are very much appreciated:)

Al

Enterprise © Bloc