Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ghostbusters ECTO-1  (Read 1863 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Ghostbusters ECTO-1
« on: May 15, 2018, 03:00:47 pm »
Saw this in the store the other day and couldn't resist.  Unfortunately, I'd forgotten why I dislike car models!  Too late now!

I plan to deviate from the kit (which is ECTO-1A) to give a fair representation of the original. 
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Ghostbusters ECTO-1
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:14:56 am »
Hey, Scott!

I was gonna ask what was next after your Y-Wing, but here it is!

Good luck on this one and, as usual, I will be following along!

I have a few aircraft and cars that I have to build, no lights, so I understand your sentiment...

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten why I dislike car models!  Too late now! 

;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 08:24:35 pm »
Hello again!
As is typical of my builds I work on many parts at once.  While trying to figure out a good lighting solution for the headlights, I have also been working on the 'equipment package' on top and the 'police lights'.  For the equipment package I decided to cutout the panels rather than try and paint the support beams apart from the background.  Also, some of the components have been scratch built to be closer to ECTO-1.  However, there will be some ECTO-1A present as removing it all is just too much of a hassle!

First are pics of the initial parts, then pics of the work on the roof mounted equipment package.

Next up, recovering from chemistry stupidity!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:27:37 pm »
The lighting plan, if it works (?!) is to light the police lights, the headlights, and some of the other spotlights.  Most give plenty of room, but there will be challenges.  Have to say, it was fun working with the Arduino to get the police lights to flash as desired.  Now, will they look OK mated to the kit?.....stay tuned!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 10:42:14 am »
Love this! When you complete it, many Shrubs and Zuuls will know what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day I can tell you!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:30:03 am »
Love this! When you complete it, many Shrubs and Zuuls will know what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day I can tell you!

Neil! Glad to see that Scott and I are not the only ones who quote movie lines with ease! And you picked a good one!  ;D

Scott - this must be my day to ask Arduino questions!  8) ;D

Why did you decide on the Arduino? Wouldn't a smaller module do just as well? (i.e. WeMos or ATtiny85)

Where are you gonna hide the thing? In the back of the ambulance? Have you placed the code somewhere to look at? (Bad grammar, I know, but it's Monday morning and coffee hasn't kicked in yet! :)  )

Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 08:58:57 pm »
I'm using an Arduino Nano, which is pretty small.  At this time I'm thinking it will go in the back (there is no equipment rack).  Most of the wiring goes to lights in the body, so if I'm lucky the whole thing will be wired up and pretty much finished before the chassis and 'body?' are attached.  Of course, there are a lot of lights to wire up, so that alone should make it interesting. 

More pics tomorrow: how the roof equipment is coming along, scratch built ladder, and how to handle the headlights.

Started the new job this week and have been a little busier.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 07:16:55 am »
Congrats on the new job!

I thought that's where you would place the board. Nice.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 08:45:01 pm »
finally time for an update!
Here are two pics of some scratch built parts.  There is the ladder from ECTO-1 (not ECTO-1A), the R2D2 looking thing (not ECTO-1A), and the gizmo with the two red tubes.  There are a few extra Bandai parts in here... The top of the dome is in fact an R2D2 dome, and the cylinder is a 1/72 X-wing tail cone.  The disk is a wheel hub.  Two holes were drilled for antennas, which are not positioned precisely like ECTO-1, but the positions for ECTO-1A were totally wrong.

In the second pic is the connector box.  In the next post you'll see where this goes.  A blank from a Death Star (tm) panel was used, hollowed out, and drilled to make the end of a patch panel.  Rod and tube styrene were cut and glued to make the connectors, and black wire will be glue into that to complete the picture.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 08:48:16 pm »
A closeup of one of the 'police lights' in progress.  The chrome plate has been removed and small holes drilled for lights.  What you see here are holes drilled through the 'light' portion.  What you don't see is a hole drilled up from below that intersects with this passage.  This allows an SMD to pass up into the light, with the two on each end at different angles.  With the timing right they kind of look like they are rotating. 

The wires will run out the bottom and be covered with a piece of channel styrene.  The difficult part will be sealing up the clear part to this base piece, as there is a gap.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 08:50:58 pm »
And last for today is a pic of the main assembly of the 'gizmo' rack.  As seen before, the side panels were cut away to give a better look.  The bottles on the side will get decals for the 'meters', two pieces will get lights, and the other parts seen here will get mounted on this rack.  I was pleased that after assembly it fits right into the mounting holes on the roof.  You can also see the cut away portion that will be where the patch panel goes.

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 10:57:13 pm »
Love this more and more! Tell 'em about the Twinkie, Ray.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 02:16:25 pm »
What about the Twinkie?

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 07:16:44 pm »
What about the Twinkie?

Well. Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 07:38:42 pm »
That's a big Twinkie.

A request for ideas.  The interior of the car is one piece.  After priming with gray, how would you suggest painting the seats and floor mats, which will be black.  I'm kind of at a loss.

Enterprise © Bloc