Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ghostbusters ECTO-1  (Read 2078 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Ghostbusters ECTO-1
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 03:46:04 pm »
I dunno, Scott. It does seem to be a masking nightmare. Even with masking in place, the airbrush would get everywhere.

Some thoughts

- cut out the "bathtub" sides. This may give you access to seats and have less mask bleeding than with them on. I can't really see the detail on the sides of the bathtub - are there door handles or sumpthin?

- handpaint. Then you could get fancy, if viewable, with the trim that surrounds the two different textures on the seat. Just thinking; aren't the seats red? Two-toned maybe?

Dunno. This is a headscratcher.

Whaddayouthink?

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 06:44:15 pm »
this is an example of why I say most American model manufacturers are lazy.  I'm relatively sure that separate seats would not have been that much trouble, nor would separate components within the car.  Just lazy.

Steve, I think I'm going with hand painting for most of the items.  Some things will be masked and airbrushed, but most will be by hand.  Most of the windows will be painted transparent black, so there won't be much to see past the front seats anyway.  After all, that is where the board is going...
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 04:07:50 pm »
As far as the makers being lazy...yeah, I agree. I wonder, sometimes, if the model companies still think young boys and girls are buying these things; kids who don't care about the details. Not a bunch of "more mature" people who love to build and love the beautiful engineering that should go into these things! sigh

Ah, gotcha! Still, I'd love to see what you are going to do with the interior and how you do it so keep us informed!

"Who ya gonna call?!"

Probably not me. I don't know much! :)

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 05:31:43 pm »
Cut out the sides?  Holy missing panels Batman!  That's a bit more work than I am up for.

Equipment package coming together, just a little more work to do.  The car interior is coming along, with a few extras.  I've added in armrests, and will add window rollers, and then light up the keyboard and the CRT in the back.  Up next will be painting the body (to include the silver parts around the windows), painting the front and rear bumpers, and figuring out how to wire it up!

also, the blue hoses that are supposed to connect on the driver's side are too short if you leave off the GBII signs...meaning I'll need to make my own.  Stay tuned!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 09:52:09 pm »
Looking good Scott! I had a lot of fun building this model. I hope you do too.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 06:22:32 am »
The equipment pack is looking suhweet, Scott!

Cut out the sides?  Holy missing panels Batman!  That's a bit more work than I am up for.

Aw, com'on!  It'll be fun! It'll be fun! It'll be fun!  ;D

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 08:51:38 pm »
@Macupar, I just realized your avatar was the ECTO!  Not sure my headlights will be so awesome!

@Steve, nooooop.  not doing the panels. 

My new job is really taking a ton of time and updates are slow.  I've been working parts of the kit however, and should have some updates this weekend.  I might even start taking my kit on work trips.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 09:34:25 pm »
@Macupar, I just realized your avatar was the ECTO!  Not sure my headlights will be so awesome!

I cut out the lights and replaced them with 1/25 scale sports car lights.
This is not the one I used but it will give you a good example. I only used the clear part.

https://www.ebay.com/i/273235016399?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D8f23cf92ad9f47cf93152928f8989701%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D192013291103%26itm%3D273235016399
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:39:53 pm by Macupar »

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 07:02:20 pm »
Been making progress, but not with the updates!

Here is a shot of the installed and completed dashboard.  The whole thing was primed black, then I drybrushed details.  I had no idea the numbers on the speedometer were legible until I took this pic.  You can also see the window roller I added.  There's also an armrest on both sides.

Second pic is the monitor that goes in the rear of the car.  It will be lit, though the dashboard will not.  Yes, the words on the monitor are from a P-38 kit...I couldn't read them until I took the pic.

The Arduino will not be in the back, it's a bit too big.  Instead, well, you'll have to wait and see when the parts arrive.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 07:20:13 pm »
The equipment rack is complete but for three things: plugging in the SMD LEDs for the two lights, and adding the 'cables' to the passenger side box.  The LEDs will be glued in place and tested before final assembly, while the cables will be attached after the rack is mounted. 

I would fix the black lines on the bottles, but I don't live my life in HD, so only the pictures show the goofy lines.   :P

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 09:15:20 am »
Scott, this is looking great!! Love the precision of your painting, even the dashboard and seats!

Keep it going! Lovin the thread!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 09:50:34 am »
Been busy with work and travel, but progress is still being made on ECTO-1.
First up, the equipment rack is complete.  A shot of the wires in the underside and then with the two lights on.  Though they are solid here, the lighting plan is a pulsing light on top and more of a blinking light for the clear one up front.  Gotta find a way to reduce the lens flaring...

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 09:53:22 am »
the interior is complete as well.  The panel next to the seat was added to give something to look at in the back.  The wires in the back are for the monitor, which has a white SMD LED inside.  The monitor will be on, and then 'fritz out' every once in a while.

All of the wires will be routed to the back of the car where they will be soldered to a connector.  Final assembly will be a bit tricky.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 10:00:45 am »
I think I mentioned that stripping the chrome parts resulted in the total loss of a number of parts when 100% acetone was used.  Fortunately, I used regular strength stuff with the irreplaceable parts, namely the front and rear bumpers/grills, steering column and police lights. 

What was lost included the spot lights (4 on top in first pic here), antennas and flashing for the fins.

The first pic shows all the scratch built stuff so far.  The ladder is about complete, just need a top piece when I can fit up the equipment rack.  The four spot lights are HO scale trash cans, cut down, sealed with strip styrene in back, puttied, and a small styrene rod used to attach it.  The original clear plastic will fit into the front opening. 

The second pic is looking at the inside rear of the body.  The holes that were there were too big for the styrene rod to fit tightly, so an easy trick is to add strip styrene on the back side, then drill through that.  Good snug fit.

Third pic is a close up of an unfinished antenna.  Shocks from a discarded auto kit are the base, with simple rod styrene for the antenna.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2018, 10:04:19 am »
and last for this morning, work on the crazy tubes.  On ECTO-1 these disappear under the rack.  On ECTO-1A they disappear under billboard signs.  This means the 1A parts are too short for 1.   Tube styrene adds length, but a little work is needed to make them look better.

Enterprise © Bloc