Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ghostbusters ECTO-1  (Read 1056 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Ghostbusters ECTO-1
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2018, 01:20:57 pm »
As previously mentioned, the accents for the fins were dissolved in a fit of stupid chemistry.  :(
I wandered around a local craft store for about 30 minutes before stumbling upon something of the right material and shape for the job: plastic needles!  Snipped down to size then sanded flat on one side.  They'll be painted chrome and good to go.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2018, 08:16:38 pm »
Brilliant save!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 06:57:44 pm »
body primed with white Stynylrez.  Headlights complete (save for lighting).  Programming complete for lights.  All chrome parts (save for the features on the body) painted.  Lights test fitted for the tail lights (fiber optic).  Next up is spray painting the chrome on the hood, and hand painting the chrome on the window frames.

Just a couple of things left to solve.  The biggest one is are the headlights.  I've ordered some warm white 5mm LEDs after finding out the strip LED won't run at 5V. As the plan is to switch the lights on with the arduino, short of a separate switch different lights will be needed.  There will be about 6 or 8 wires leaving the car.  Hopefully my shipment from China will show up soon and you'll see how I plan to do that.  Much more elegant than my past projects (I hope!).
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2018, 07:39:55 am »
Nice save on the fins!

This is looking really nice! Your solutions to fit issues are excellent and can be used in a variety of situations.

For the tube across to the instrument rack - did you use styrene tree parts or did you use styrene you got from the LHS?

I was seriously looking at buying and building this model at my LHS - then I remembered my stash and thought better of it!

Keep going so I can live vicariously! :D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2018, 07:35:03 pm »
@Steve, for the tubes I drilled into the bitter end of the hoses (x2), added a piece of rod styrene (from LHS), then fitted tube styrene over that to secure it.  I used some beading wire to add some depth, then used strip styrene to cover the joints--the new one and the two old hose clamps.  (BTW the beading wire is nice as a wiring solution also.  More rigid than magnet wire, doesn't get tied in knots, and nearly as thin.)

Wait, I could just post a picture.  Here's the painted piece.  To finish, rod styrene will go in the open (bitter) end and be cemented into the roof.  Still need to paint the hose clamps.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 07:42:29 pm »
The body is in the paint shop now, gloss cote tomorrow.
First up, when the head lights were drilled out something was needed to take their place.  In the first pic you can see the front grille, one of the head lights (2nd from left) is in place (liquid mask on the back side), and the googly eye I used as a head light is there as well.  These are 6mm googly eyes, so cut off the backing, fill with epoxy and they fit right in.  That one in the pic got a bit to much epoxy and it's in there to stay.  I'll epoxy the others in place soon. 

Next a pic of the chrome fin accents, then a pic of the HO scale garbage cans that are my spotlights and the scratch built antennae. (all casualties of the great chemistry fiasco!)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2018, 07:50:28 pm »
Wow, has it really been three weeks since I last posted?

Had to wait on the mail to provide warm white LEDs.  I now have more than I can use in my lifetime (96 remaining...)  For the headlights I finished the googly eye epoxy project, then epoxied them in place.  Next up was manufacturing a 'rack' for the lights which will be cemented to the hood. 

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2018, 07:59:20 pm »
Here's the painted body with the chrome grill/bumpers in final place.  Aside from bare metal foil I think the chrome trim turned out OK.  I decanted some chrome paint and went to town.  The area around the hood was actually masked and painted.

Inadvertently, and fortuitously, I ordered a second set of decals.  This meant I had decals for both sides of the fins.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2018, 08:02:46 pm »
and last update, here is a pic of the new connectors I acquired.  Until now I've passed the wires (either 2, five or more) out of the body and connected them up while holding the beastie in my lap.  But no longer!

Now, the big silver part will be secured inside the kit, with all the wires plugged in, and then I can just thread in the connector from the outside to make the connection.  Based on the design, this will require a second mount for things like starships, but it will be clean.  Twelve wires, enough for a lot of different ideas inside the kit.  I have 9 pairs remaining.   The wires are 18" long, so they will reach quite a ways even on large kits.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2018, 07:47:28 am »
and last update...

Que Pasa?!

Whaddayamean "last post"?!

Anyway, this is looking awesome, Scott! The "googlie eye" idea was inspired! I wouldn't have thought of that AT. ALL!

The silver detailing on the body of the car, the fins, and the equipment rack are phenomenal!

I looked at the Ecto-1 kit in the LHS and then remembered your build and decided I could never build as good as this and put it back! (Besides, my stash is so big now, I will be in the hobby for the next 20 years - given my rate of building!)

Stay at it and post more assembly stuff - Unless the build is complete. ;)

Love your work!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2018, 08:05:45 pm »
"last update" for now Steve, I'm busy, not dead yet!

The head lights are in place now, soon to be followed by the tail lights.  Then the difficult process of assembly and soldering will commence in earnest!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 03:38:44 pm »
Fiber optic was used to light the tail lights.  The first pic shows the stubs sticking out the back end.  Clear epoxy was applied to the ends, the red cones attached and then pushed into place.  Once secure, clear epoxy sealed it up on the inside. 

To aim the FO for the main tail lights some sheet styrene was cut to fit and then drilled.  Now the FO will be bundled into a straw, sealed with clear epoxy, with an LED at the other end of the straw.

Next are the lights on the roof.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 07:30:01 am »
Nice technique, Scott!

I always learn so much from your builds.

In the last pic, it looks like you are prepping for another fiber run. Are you planning some more lights above the back door?

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr. Raymond Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point! :)

Keep going, Dr. Venkman - this is looking very cool!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 01:22:48 pm »
@Steve, No additional lights on the back end.  The holes you see above the door are for the silver cup 'spot lights' that will be installed last.

The one large piece of clear plastic for the windows has been sanded to remove some molding lines, and will be dipped in future to remove the sanding scars (a cockpit canopy technique).  In parallel, the police lights and 'blue hoses' will be installed.  Once the 'glass' is in place, the equipment rack will go in and everything will have to be soldered to the connector.

Enterprise © Bloc