Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for 1/72 big plane cockpit kits (info)  (Read 91 times)

Offline homyakchik

• Emperor of the Known Universe
  • Ensign
Looking for 1/72 big plane cockpit kits (info)
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:14:59 pm »
I'll admit, I'm trolling for an answer here. :)

I've got a kitbash/scratchbuild project that I'm gathering parts for (where available; anything I can't reasonably find I'm going to have to scratchbuild). One of  the parts that I'd really rather find than scratch build is a cockpit for this ship.

How I picture it is like any of the 2 to 4 seat cockpits of the really big airships of the US/NATO past--B-52s or C-5s or the like. Something with 2-4 seats in the actual command section (pilot, copilot, navigator and communications?), if possible with a section immediately behind it for other purposes (kind of like one of the ships in, I think, 2012, that we were in that got trashed on-screen). I'm going to customize it enough to look like the 50s notion of a spaceship, but that's where I'm starting from.

I'd really rather not have to buy one of the Big Plane Kits just to get the cockpit parts; that'd be making this kit too expensive to be fun.

I'm working in 1/72 scale, my preferred scale (so I can display it and play with it alongside my Zoids and Z-Knights and Apollo 27 mods). This appears to be creating the problem. Most people seem to prefer working much smaller (1/144) or much larger (1/48 or 1/35).

I'm looking for some source of 1/72 cockpit (and if I can find 'em, bomb bays and/or cargo bays) resin kits. So far I've only found Pavla with any real catalog of 1/72 cockpit kits, and they're mainly for little delicate single-seat and double-seat fighters (prop and jet), too small to be useful to me (I've noted the few kits they sell, in hopes of finding them on eBuy, as I haven't found a US dealer carrying them; we'll see how they look). I'm sure there are other aftermarket kit makers, but the few I've found via Google don't have what I'm after, and anyone else is avoiding the notice of the Google Police assiduously.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has any recommendations of any dealers or resin kit manufacturers who they've dealt with in the past that might have a catalog of such things: 1/72 cockpits for the bigger fighter-bomber-carrier planes that I could plug into this increasingly-large spaceship model I'm wanting to build. (Scratch-building a cockpit set for the thing may be a fun challenge, but I'm not sure how qualified I am to do it from scratch. *sigh*)

Any recommendations are very appreciated.

Many thanks.

Davey

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: Looking for 1/72 big plane cockpit kits (info)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 08:30:31 am »
I went ahead and did some brief hunting; there's enough 1/72 kits out there that there should be a market, albeit a smaller one than 1/48. Looks like some people make stuff for the B-1B and S-3A Viking.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=213&osCsid=26f5aca015fe4194f4ab6bb495a1f8ee

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=2858

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=2833

I do suspect that part of the problem you're having is in the nature of larger aircraft in 1/72, and that is that few bombers and cargo craft really have good ways to display the interior "on the tarmac", because crew doors tend to not be canopies, and the canopies aren't full panoramic like a fighter, so resin cockpits don't provide the same visual "bang for the buck" the way they do for fighters in that scale.

Offline homyakchik

• Emperor of the Known Universe
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 07:00:49 pm »
Yah. The very first link you provided was beautiful, and far out of the price range I could afford (regardless of beauty); oh, my aching imagination. (But what a cutaway ship it'd've been!) UMM isn't one that I came up with during my own searches, and I don't know why, considering how much they seem to offer.

I strongly suspect that you're right about the "parts available reflects what the modelers are going to do with their modelers." Reviewers for some of the super-sized 1/72-scale airships I read noted that although the external detail might be marvelous, and even some cargo bay detail was great, the cockpits (usually being sealed up and behind teeny-tiny windows) was usually pretty bad (and one spaceship I scratch-built a cockpit for had such teeny-tiny windows that I remember cutting a few corners myself, so I sympathize).

The second link (to the S-3A cockpit) and the third (to the S-3A bomb bay and wheel wells) I think I've got bookmarked on the Pavla site itself, but it's nice to find a closer source than Europe (blazes, they're in my Time Zone!) Many thanks for taking a look, and drawing my attention to UMM.

Muchos gracias for the looking. And may I say that I miss Colorado...

Davey

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:34:10 am »
Yah. The very first link you provided was beautiful, and far out of the price range I could afford (regardless of beauty); oh, my aching imagination. (But what a cutaway ship it'd've been!) UMM isn't one that I came up with during my own searches, and I don't know why, considering how much they seem to offer.

Oddly, I actually have the kit that would go into (and a slightly older release at that), so I have added it to my own bookmarks. I probably won't wind up getting it, though:

I strongly suspect that you're right about the "parts available reflects what the modelers are going to do with their modelers." Reviewers for some of the super-sized 1/72-scale airships I read noted that although the external detail might be marvelous, and even some cargo bay detail was great, the cockpits (usually being sealed up and behind teeny-tiny windows) was usually pretty bad (and one spaceship I scratch-built a cockpit for had such teeny-tiny windows that I remember cutting a few corners myself, so I sympathize).

The B1-B, I have actually built one before. Yeah, as these things go, it's one of the more visible bomber interiors, so to speak, but at 1/72, that's not really saying much. It would basically be the first two seats that are the most visible.

The second link (to the S-3A cockpit) and the third (to the S-3A bomb bay and wheel wells) I think I've got bookmarked on the Pavla site itself, but it's nice to find a closer source than Europe (blazes, they're in my Time Zone!) Many thanks for taking a look, and drawing my attention to UMM.

Muchos gracias for the looking. And may I say that I miss Colorado...

You're very welcome. Most of this stuff, it's a matter of just finding the closer source; there IS a market, it's just how viable that market is for a given budget.

Enterprise © Bloc