Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How best to place windows for lighiting/TOS 1/100 Enterprise  (Read 192 times)

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
Hey all,

Here's my query.  Got me a 1/1000 TOS Enterprise which I'm planning on lighting.  For the window holes, how do you "place" them appropriately?  This is mainly for the secondary hull.  My first thought is to lay down the decals as a template -but that screws things up for the sanding/painting/etc process.  Another though is to cut out the "racing stripe" part, use the window portion of the decals as a template, then apply the racing stripe after assembly, clear coat, etc.  Any thoughts?  Leaning towards the second but would be interested in hearing any other options I haven't thought of.  I'm not that smart :)...you guys/gals are gooder!  I've youtube-fu'ed this without finding anyone describing the "hole cutting" process.  Any advice would be most appreciated!

PS: Loaded question for extra points...any "simple" paint mixtures for a base coat </ducks>

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline Valiant

• Lieutenant
Re: How best to place windows for lighiting/TOS 1/100 Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 07:54:55 am »
I don't know which release version you have, but mine have always come with 2 window versions a pilot and production. (Even had one with 4, sticker and decal for both). I woukd say use the opposite version your making put them down and drill.

For question two.... 

I'm told concrete grey is the way to go *ducks and hides*

Offline Mark2000

• Ensign
Re: How best to place windows for lighiting/TOS 1/100 Enterprise
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:08:35 pm »
Definitely put on the decals in the bare plastic as a template and drill away. You can then sand them off before painting.

Enterprise © Bloc