Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/150 Scratch build ADLIB-1  (Read 688 times)

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
1/150 Scratch build ADLIB-1
« on: May 28, 2018, 12:33:47 am »
Today I cannot say much about this model. Have not yet figured out the design basics.
It will be a spaceship of sorts. Also a type of cross-section showing the interior. I guess you could say that the interior is the model's diorama.
I have ordered some plastic building materials, glue and paints for this project. Already have some plastic figurines, so according to them, the scale will be 1:150.

The main model section will be based around a piece of PVC drain pipe:

As you can see from the above figure, there will be lots to stuff to build and add to the interior.
This will be my first Sci-Fi model, and my fifth model I have ever started. The first and fourth models are still in progress. The first one is a huge diorama (4 x 8 feet). The fourth model is the XXI submarine with interior. I am having so much fun with the XXI model; it has inspired me to create this model totally from imagination.

Since I am busy with the other models, I will now and again pay attention to this one just to do something very different. I am sure this model will keep the creativity in me alive. I plan to work at least one night per week on this one.

Please feel free to make whatever comments, suggestions, etc., I can be quite stubborn when I have an idea/plan already in mind, so please do not be offended if I do not follow a suggestion made. However, I will more than likely take that suggestion on board and use it some time later. I am always open to learning.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
Re: 1/150 Scratch build ADLIB-1
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 06:06:09 pm »
Been thinking about what is the vessel's purpose, and what would it consist of.

Purpose: Buoy Tender.

Compartments:
a) Buoy Storage, Buoy Dispersal and Retrieval Dock,  Repair Workshop, Service Drones, and Teleport.
b) Ship's Bridge, Control Centre, Sensors, Communications, Intranet, Galley and Mess, Storage Rooms, Power Room, Engines, Auditorium, Wardrooms, Recreations, Medical, Gymnasium, Weapons, and internal accessibility system.

I think that ought to cover it.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:58:30 am »
I have to have some sort of initial framework. That is, a space ship with a shell and compartments. The compartments will be modules of ad-lib constructions. So far I have the main shell. What gets attached to that will arise when it comes to mind. Much will depend on what the modules will consist of. For example, a buoy storage module will need to have a docking area for dispersal. So an opening is required on the outside of the ship, depending on size and location of the storage module. Also, each main module may have several floors, and each floor a different compartment.

Okay, so far I have an idea of the module side profile. From this, an idea of what the side profile of the display may look like.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 03:30:09 am »
were you going to make decks perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder, like a tower? 

Or were you thinking of the deck being thd circumference and it spinning to maintain "gravity" via centripetal force?

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 08:13:45 pm »
were you going to make decks perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder, like a tower? 

Or were you thinking of the deck being thd circumference and it spinning to maintain "gravity" via centripetal force?
Like a cross-section of a submarine.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 07:37:24 am »
Been figuring out how to make a landing dock area for visiting vessels, such as re-supply.
Want to have a lit platform as well as ground level flood lights.
The lit platform will be made from various segmented shapes, each one will be lit following a sequence. However the sequence is long and therefore hoping to create a sort of random display. I have not made this yet, but I imagine if you look at it for awhile you may pick up a sequence to it all.

With electronics, I am old school. So bare with me as I explain an old approach to turning LEDs on and off in an odd sequence. To do this I am going to use a seven segment counter circuit. For those that do not know, all single numbers can be derived from the seven segments that make the number 8. Each segment is a LED. Instead of using a seven segment LED display, I am using seven LEDs arranged however I want them.

Here are some of my notes:

As you can see in the table, the 'e' segment is only on 4 times during a 0-9 count. This means that this segment flashes on and off most frequently, where segment 'c' is on most of the time. My goal is the have the more active segment LEDs near the centre of the docking platform.

The whole platform is only 110 mm square. At 1/150 scale = 16.5 m square.
The cross portion will be rows of orange rectangular LEDs turning on in sequence, one at a time, moving towards the centre. The four rows will work together in sequence. The centre round white LED will flash on when the rows had reached the centre. Then it will turn off when the sequence starts again from the outside.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:45:36 pm by Tecko »

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 01:12:05 am »
Found parts for Drive Room.

Plans for Drive Room

An entry into Drive Room

Cutaway plan for Portal Door way

I am getting close to actually start building this model.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 08:09:28 pm »
Started building. But may need to stop for awhile because other work needs my attention. 
Late last night saw me working on the Particle Beam - Plasma Drive (PB-PD). Feels strange to use make-believe words.

Not sure what LEDs will eventually be used. Orange and yellow will most probably prevail due to the colours of the reflector disk.
These LEDs, into the cross-section will be placed at the transformer end.

These LEDs will be placed at the reflector end.
Experimenting with red, green, yellow, and orange LEDs.
Bottom photo uses an orange and a yellow LED.

Made an animated GIF to show what it may look like when the LEDs are made to flash (arcing style).

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 06:17:33 am »
Techo, obviously you have put ALOT of thought into this design!

I think I overplan my builds, but you, Sir, are a master planner!

I like your concepts, but most of all, how did you get the gif on here?! That's cool!

Keep going! I'm liking what I'm seeing!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 06:37:08 am »
Techo, obviously you have put ALOT of thought into this design!

I think I overplan my builds, but you, Sir, are a master planner!

I like your concepts, but most of all, how did you get the gif on here?! That's cool!

Keep going! I'm liking what I'm seeing!

Steve
Thank you Steve for your comments. Much appreciated.

The gif, got downloaded via imgur. Made from two photos by using PhotoScape software.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 07:31:02 pm »
Thank you @MSgtUSAAFRet, and @starsiegeplayer for visiting my build.

The control panel for the model will have control switches etc. For the Engine Room there will be a toggle switch labelled 'Low' and 'High'. This will turn on the Orange and Yellow LEDs in the right-hand side of the above Perspex rod. On the other side are four LEDs, Red, Green, Blue, and White. A rotary switch selects which one. These are labelled 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%. What that all means is up tp you.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 07:34:11 pm by Tecko »

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 07:19:14 am »

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 06:44:08 am »

Offline homyakchik

• Emperor of the Known Universe
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 02:05:19 pm »
Ah, sawing the pieces-parts out of the PVC; that's always the part that I like about the least. Like it the best when I'm done, but like it the least actually doing it. Hat's off to you. Ironically of all those of us reading this thread, I'm looking forward to the innards and the decks more than I am the lighting. Looking forward to seeing this ship as it progresses; keep these updates coming. :)

Davey

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »
Ah, sawing the pieces-parts out of the PVC; that's always the part that I like about the least. Like it the best when I'm done, but like it the least actually doing it. Hat's off to you. Ironically of all those of us reading this thread, I'm looking forward to the innards and the decks more than I am the lighting. Looking forward to seeing this ship as it progresses; keep these updates coming. :)

Davey

Could not agree with you more on all accounts.

Love the ferret. Had one just like it. Her name was Tracy. Persistent, playful, very intelligent, 100+ mph. Impossible to not play, laugh, and love them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:22:56 pm by Tecko »

Enterprise © Bloc