Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/150 Scratch build ADLIB-1  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
Re: 1/150 Scratch build ADLIB-1
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 06:26:50 am »
Propulsion Room drawing updated.

Had to cover the fan's wiring and trench. Used 2 mm card and acrylic paint.
Drilled hole into PET plastic nipple. This is for a 5 mm LED. The lid actually locks down on the LED. No glue here. Easy access to this LED, if need to.

Used a new glue (Weicon VA 8312) for attaching PET to polystyrene (I think). It worked well.
Used a 90 mm PVC End Cap for hiding fan's exterior brackets.

Here, the fan is operating. I was surprised that I could not hear it.
With different viewing angles one can see all black or all yellow reflector.

This is not all. I am still waiting for a LED strip which will be fitted between reflector and fan.
Future update on this will show it with the LEDs on. Be interesting to see how it will look.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:08 pm »
you just gave me an awesome idea for a scratch build...the S3 AD&D module from the 80s....hehehe.

Now I must follow your build to steal more awesome ideas!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 07:05:51 am »
Wow, Tecko! Just...WOW!

I thought my drawings were pretty good, but your's are like...Engineer or Architect level work! Outstanding!

Are you following a movie or TV series for the tube or is this OC from your noggin?

Either way, keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 06:03:13 pm »
you just gave me an awesome idea for a scratch build...the S3 AD&D module from the 80s....hehehe.

Now I must follow your build to steal more awesome ideas!
Thank you for complement, and following this thread.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 06:29:24 pm »
...Are you following a movie or TV series for the tube or is this OC from your noggin?...
Thank you Steve.
I am just making it up as I go along. That is why it's called the ADLIB (i.e., ad-lib)  ;)

Drawing is old school course in technical drawing. Been doing it for years in my past hobbies. It helps me to sort out what goes where. An old hobby of mine is electronics design and building printed circuit boards. The components had to be measured so one can estimate how close they can be together, including the tracks, to minimize space. So, the above drawings is an example of both of those past experiences put together.

Thanks for visiting my build.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 06:38:48 pm »
Well, the LED strip arrived. It is now placed between the reflector and the fan. It proved to be too bright for my liking...

...so I placed a 100 ohm, 2 watt, resistor on the (+) positive 12 vot DC lead. This dimmed the LED lighting down nicely.
The last two photos show the fan in operation.

The LED lighting penetrated through the bulkhead. I like the effect. It gives an indication what the Particle Beam is feeding.
It also lights up the Propulsion/Drive room.
Top two photos are in dim mode. The bottom photo shows how bright it would be at full brightness.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 07:15:02 am »

It ought to be a challenge to include instrumentation to the console.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 09:28:16 pm »
Played around with the console instrumentation. I have to admit, I had lots of fun.
Tried to illustrate instruments on card and paper, but photographic paper worked best. Will try the gloss type later.
The following photo should explain how I went about it.

The original view point is not blown up like here. So at normal vision, it doesn't look so rough.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 04:47:04 am »
Slow progress with this model at this stage. Have been busy with work and other commitments. Hoping to update some more soon.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 07:47:11 am »
Found an old pair of polarized sunglasses. Will use them for a window.
Have one lens rotate, by servo motor, up to 90 degrees to filter out light.

By using a sensor, such as ultrasonics, a circuit could determine how close an observer is to looking into an ADLIB-1 window.
The closer the observer gets to the window more the lens rotates from 90 to 0 degrees, allowing more light through the window.
This will give the impression that ADLIB-1 is curious too, and wishes to have a closer look at the observer.
Because it operates opposite to the common need for privacy (darken), it ought to be somewhat surprising for the observer to see it open up (lighten).

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 08:08:12 am »
I am really enjoying your posts on this build.  Your use of "off the shelf" items to create unique lighting effects are ingenious and inspiring! 

Thanks for sharing

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 12:44:53 am »
I am really enjoying your posts on this build.  Your use of "off the shelf" items to create unique lighting effects are ingenious and inspiring! 

Thanks for sharing
Thank you Tshark for visiting my build. Appreciate your feedback.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 12:47:00 am »

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 05:21:16 pm »
Found a front door peephole. Will use this to reveal a surprise. What that surprise is is still on the drawing board. You may have to wait near the completion of this build.

Offline Tecko

• Ensign
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 01:59:17 am »

Enterprise © Bloc