Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vulcan Shuttle Repair  (Read 366 times)

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
Vulcan Shuttle Repair
« on: June 11, 2018, 09:01:36 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I was doing some detail painting on a Vulcan Shuttle kit that I was trying to complete, and when I was removing the masking tape a small piece on one of the nacelles broke off.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this without having to do any major surgery?

Thanks,

Tom

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: Vulcan Shuttle Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:04:29 pm »
Those intercooler pieces are delicate.  You may be able to precise cut a piece of stock styrene to fit the gap, but it will take some sanding and filling around the joint.  I don't think "major" surgery will be needed.

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 01:34:32 pm »
Sorry it took me so long to update Starsiegeplayer. I was busy this week and didn't get on the boards until today. Someone on another forum suggested using Aves to fill in the gap. Since I had some Aves in my stash I thought I would give it a try and it worked out pretty well.

I have to let it cure overnight and by tomorrow I can hit it with some 600 grit sandpaper and then mask and airbrush a new coat of paint. :) After that, I have one more detail to paint and it should be ready for decals.

Tom

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 03:13:53 pm »
Here it is all fixed with a shot of base coat just to see how well it turned out.

A little more clean-up then hit it with the correct color, and it should be good to go!

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:20:45 pm »
I hit it with the final coat and it looks great! hopefully, I can get some decals on it by this weekend!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 06:48:45 am »
Nice repair!

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 09:46:16 pm »
Thank you Sir! ;D

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
Re: Vulcan Shuttle Repair **UPDATE**
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 12:41:01 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I am finally able to get most of the decals on and it's looking pretty sweet! I am still in need of a couple of decals that didn't survive and I hope to have some come my way soon. Otherwise it is about 95% done and if I can get the decals I need it will be ready for some dullcote. Thanks everybody for your help and support! :)

Tom

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 04:20:15 pm »
Nice!

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 04:47:09 pm »
Very nice.

I will need to get the finger out and start mine one day after seeing this build.
Iain

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 10:12:57 pm »
Thank you guys it means a lot to me! :) Just a bit of advice though Iain if you're going to build it, get some Microscale liquid decal film. The decals for this kit are super delicate and will flake apart if you are not very careful. This product will make them more sturdy and a bit easier to handle, then use a decal setting solution to keep them down. I got the idea from James Small who made the build-up for Round 2 in an article from their old website.

Tom

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 02:26:23 am »
Will do Tom and thanks for the heads up.
Iain

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 02:05:33 pm »
Where are you getting the decals from?  I can reproduce those for you. www.cameronsdecals.com
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 09:39:22 pm »
The decals are all from Round 2. I have them all on except for the three I am short. The two that go on the front of the shuttle itself which I believe are numbered 108 and 109. and number 33 that goes on the bottom of the starboard nacelle. If you look at the picture you can see the one missing on the shuttle and the one I tried to make from a scan on my home printer. The color is not as sharp and the yellow from the thrusters are a bit darker. Ideally, I would like to find a set of original decals but, that has been next to impossible.

Enterprise © Bloc