Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star Trek VI Refit Enterprise Build  (Read 557 times)

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
Star Trek VI Refit Enterprise Build
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:16:35 am »
Hi all,

So I am planning to build the Refit Enterprise 1:350 as seen inn Star Trek VI The undiscovered Country.

For this one I will be using the PE from Paragrafix, the replacement Impulse engine from Don's light and Magic as well as his Officers Mess.
I will be doing a basic lighting system that will replicate the lighting in the move perfectly and using an Arduino for the Nav/Strobe lights.

For the Aztecs I will be using the decals sheets that came with the previous release of the kit.

So anyway I will be doing a complete video build guide on my channel which will be focused for the average modeller that is not quite confident enough to build this big detailed kit yet. I will show some basic modifications, how to paint, how to make your own lighting system and how to use the Aztec decals and still have a decent model at the end. As well as talk about other modifications that can be made for the more experienced modeller.

You can check out the intro video on my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN4-S8iIyZI

More to come.
Scott.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: Star Trek VI Refit Enterprise Build
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:30:01 am »
I have my Enterprise refit on hold atm until I get to move to a larger apartment, but I will have fun watching you guys working on yours. :)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 09:45:07 am »
I look forward to one day building a 1/350 beast, so I'm eager to follow your build!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 11:11:00 am »
Looking forward to watching this build! Thanks for sharing.

Neil

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 06:35:08 am »
I am slowly gearing up to start my own 1/350 refit towards the end of the year so really looking forward to watching your build.
Iain

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 02:41:14 am »
Hi everyone,

I have made a start on building the lower section of the Secondary Hull. MAJOR fit issues. I have the current release of the 1:350 kit and have had trouble with the 2 side pieces and the bottom piece of the hull.

The 2 side pieces, halfway down the length in the centre of both side pieces there are big gaps when mounting them to the bottom piece. It is like something has happened to the moulds as I never had any gaps on the previous release it always fitted perfectly. Wondering if it was this particular kit I got out my second kit of the new release and I have the same gaps! It took a bit of work to hold the pieces together while they were gluing to minimise the gap.

Has anyone else had this issue?

So part 1 of the video build guide is on my channel and you can see the issues I had getting these pieces together.

https://youtu.be/dx5qiXdy7x8

Scott.

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 03:22:49 pm »
Scott,

I also had those fit issues with the secondary hull. I followed the suggestion by Boyd to wedge something in between the two side walls to basically shove them into place while the glue dries. Worked pretty well. I only have experience with the reissue kit (actually I'm still in process of my build), so while I can't compare to the other releases, there are indeed several fit issues that I have run into.

Loving your videos so far! Keep it up!
Neil

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 06:29:21 pm »
Love the videos!

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:41:04 pm »
Hi Everyone,

So working on the Secondary Hull still and I have decided I don't like this release of the kit. There are so many problems with the manufacturing process of the kit now. Polar Lights/Round 2 really need to step up on their quality control and fix the moulds for this kit.

So I was working on the light blocking and on the inside of the Secondary Hull there are a lot of circles where the plastic is thinner which meant I had a lot more light leaks than I did on building previous releases of this kit. I used Tamiya Basic Putty the grey one to fix my light leaks. You can see in the pictures below.

The video of this is on my channel where you can see all the issues I'm having with this.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=2WQPbUqbmCk

Scott.

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:43:01 pm »
Scott,

I also had those fit issues with the secondary hull. I followed the suggestion by Boyd to wedge something in between the two side walls to basically shove them into place while the glue dries. Worked pretty well. I only have experience with the reissue kit (actually I'm still in process of my build), so while I can't compare to the other releases, there are indeed several fit issues that I have run into.

Loving your videos so far! Keep it up!
Neil

I have built every release of the kit and I have not had these fit issues with any other release. I think it is really poor on Polar Lights/Round 2 for not making sure that everything is fine with the kit before they re-released it.

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 07:43:22 pm »

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 09:51:55 pm »
Hi all,

Been working on Episode 3 of the build series which is up on my channel.

So I am currently working on the lighting for the interior of the Secondary Hull. Not really anything I can show photo wise at this stage but you can check out the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6F01-DESeU

Stay Tuned.
Scott.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 07:08:41 pm »
If the pieces will fit, but just need some elbow grease, I suggest the oven trick.  Clamp the beastie in shape, stick in the oven to 20 minutes, then cool.  Now when you cement it the hull will already be in the correct position.

Of course, this won't work if it's just full of gaps...
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 05:51:18 pm »
Hi all,

Video 4 of my build guide is up on my channel.

https://youtu.be/5bOWSxonbuo

I am currently working on soldering wires and resisters to SMD LEDs, so you can check out how it's done in the video.

Scott.

Offline neilfsmith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 03:25:26 pm »
Hi all,

Video 4 of my build guide is up on my channel.

https://youtu.be/5bOWSxonbuo

I am currently working on soldering wires and resisters to SMD LEDs, so you can check out how it's done in the video.

Scott.

Scott, first of all, I loved the video. Keep 'em coming!

Also, had a question for you. Have you ever painted over LED tape to lessen the amount of light? I'm wanting to slightly dim the neck spotlights on my 350 Refit but wasn't sure how best to proceed since actually dimming them is out of the question since everything is all closed up by now. Your thoughts?

Neil

Enterprise © Bloc