Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star Trek VI Refit Enterprise Build  (Read 897 times)

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
Re: Star Trek VI Refit Enterprise Build
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 05:40:16 pm »
Hi all,

Video 4 of my build guide is up on my channel.

https://youtu.be/5bOWSxonbuo

I am currently working on soldering wires and resisters to SMD LEDs, so you can check out how it's done in the video.

Scott.

Scott, first of all, I loved the video. Keep 'em coming!

Also, had a question for you. Have you ever painted over LED tape to lessen the amount of light? I'm wanting to slightly dim the neck spotlights on my 350 Refit but wasn't sure how best to proceed since actually dimming them is out of the question since everything is all closed up by now. Your thoughts?

Neil

Hey Neil,

I've never painted over LED tape, I've never had the need to. The Neck spotlights I use 3mm Leds, mounted on the upper piece of the Secondary Hull pointed up directly under the openings at the rear of the Photo Launcher Deck. If you are finding that the light is too bright I wouls suggest. If you are using the clear lenses or filling the opening with canopy glue or any other white glue that dries clear you could mist the base colour over it to dim it down. I just had a look at your build thread and see what you are talking about with the brightness. I personally do lots of light testing when it's dark in the primer stage and base colour stage so I have all the lighting sorted out before I start on the next stages. This way I know everything is perfect but still can fix it.

So seeing that you have done your Aztec painting, I would then mask up 2 or 3 inches around the opening of the spotlight opening and then mist your base colour over it starting on the masking tape too get your amount of paint coming out of you r airbrush low.

Scott.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 08:57:30 pm »
Neil,

Are all of the LEDs on a single power line?  If yes, you could still vary the voltage being sent down the line, although in my experience, LED tape takes more voltage, something like 7Vs that a single LED.  If the LED tape is on it's own power lead, you could just lower the voltage, or add a series current limiting resistor. 

I own one of these, DC Power Supply Variable Adjustable Lab Grade Clip Cable 30V 10A LED Display, which you can find on Ebay, I wouldn't call it lab grade, but it works well for what we do, and would allow you to fiddle fart with the power voltage to see if you couldn't tune the voltage to get the overall lighting effect you want.

My two cents.

Cheers and good luck!
James

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 10:22:27 pm »
Thanks to you both. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 10:46:44 pm »
Scott is super awesome and helpful, I bet he doesn't mind!  Now, if we started talking about how awesome Star Wars models are and I don't know why anyone would assemble Star Trek models, he might get a wee bit irate!

James

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 06:05:26 pm »
Hi All,

I've been working on getting the PE window frames installed to the Secondary Hull for the Arboretum. It took longer than I was hoping not that I had any issues, just putty, sand, primer and repeat until you can't see the seams.

Here's the link to video 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umZFSuy5Xn8

And some pics.

Scott.

Enterprise © Bloc