Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 537 refit 3D parts  (Read 453 times)

Offline WeeMoe

• Commander
537 refit 3D parts
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:11:04 am »
Found these on shapeways anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wileycoyote
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:00:13 pm by WeeMoe »

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
Re: 537 refit 3D parts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:10:13 am »
I am curious as well.  These parts and the ones from DLM seem to be the only aftermarket parts for the 1/537 refit.  I was hoping that with the R2 re-pop of the kit that more parts would become available.  My next build is a smoothie Enterprise so I am already looking around.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:04:35 am »
The choice of material determines the qualitative characteristics of the items, and although I am no expert, I would at least wonder how much work, if any, will be going into making the surface more smooth, as the surface I suspect won't be polished by default.

The shapeways forums will surely provide the quickest/best way to familiarize yourself with the choice of material as a potential buyer I think.

I made some tiny cannon carriages, and they were not entirely smooth (flat sides and all), I just don't remember anymore if they were made with the same material as with these Star Trek parts as discussed here.

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:43:21 am »
After doing some extensive internet searching I went back to Don's Light and Magic for my 1/537 Enterprise refit parts.  He has a large selection and had no problem customizing my order by casting the tinted parts in clear only.  I have ordered from him before and found him reputable.  My only suggestion is order parts from him months before you need them.  It takes him awhile, but the parts are worth it.

http://www.dlmparts.com/amtrefitreliantparts1537scale.html

Hope this helps

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 08:24:13 am »
New detailed replacement bridge available from HDA soon.  I have done business with them several times and have always been pleased with the service.

http://hdamodelworx.com/537-SCALE-BRIDGE-REPLACEMENT-PART-by-HDAMODELWORX-_p_683.html

Offline Markeno

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 09:27:47 pm »
Wiley makes great 3D Models.  I have worked with some of his models in the past, but only "in computer use", not in 3D printing etc.  They are beautiful on screen.  I would expect the model to be amazing (and looking at it on screen at the website it sure looks to be), I don't know about the printing though.  I have never ordered or used 3D printed parts.  I know there are different types of printers.  There are real life pictures of the parts or some there.  You can see a definite "texture" from the printing process in various shots there.

The DLM parts are amazing.  I ended up ordering a set and the inboard nacelle grills.  Yes it took over 2 months to get them I think it got close to three months before they arrived.  I messed up not asking for deflector etc in Clear..   The quality is amazing, just plain amazing.  I don't think I am good enough to do them justice.  The surfaces are near perfection, the clears blue parts are just clear and shine.  Granted I need to defuse the Nacelle grills and deflector a bit.  I cut in the grills last week, and started light blocking the other parts last night actually.  Be sure to wash them very well before trying to paint them, they have I guess a bit of a release agent on them from the molding process.  I washed them, but apparently didn't get it all off yet as I had issues with paint taking properly on part of the inside of the bridge dome.

It looks like the costs are similar either way, depending on what you want.  Maybe time being a factor, or if you don't want the whole set etc.

Enterprise © Bloc