Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star Wars R2D2 replica  (Read 136 times)

Offline Saturn5

• Ensign
Star Wars R2D2 replica
« on: June 24, 2018, 10:16:05 pm »
After discovering the world of part-work model kits with the Delorean build I stumbled upon another kit that caught my eye. This one is a 1/2 R2D2 that (when finished) will move around, beep, blast projections on walls, and hopefully be a faithful reproduction of everyone's favorite astromech.

Here is the dome skeleton about half way done. Note how it's composed of several plastic ribs that bolt together to form the dome shape.

Lots of mini nuts and bolts hold the parts to metal rings that provide rigidity.

A better view of the metal support rings. You can also see the small ball-bearing in the center of the head that will allow Artoo to spins his nogging around.

There are many cut-outs in the ribs and a Star Wars fan can probably figure out what each one is for. I have also received some of the lights that will eventually fit into some of these cut-outs (haven't had a chance to photograph them yet.)

Starting to take shape. Looking forward to the aluminum piece that will cover this all!

The legs are also made up of several individually molded parts. The metal skeleton for the leg is cleverly built of 4 parts that all bolt together like an erector set. Should be plenty durable when complete.

The legs look way to clean but I'm planning on adding some weathering. I've actually done a dark wash on these parts since photographing them and even that has helped the parts look a bit more realistic.

A ways to go before this is actually attached to the outter leg skins but here's what it will sort-of look like. I suspect there will soon be a motor attached to the bottom area there.

A fun kit so far that should be pretty fun once completed. I hope to chase cats around with it since what else is a mini droid good for?

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: Star Wars R2D2 replica
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:25:46 am »
Interesting.

I agree that the too-clean-look is a little jarring, so I think some clever weathering could be interesting.

Maybe try some more natural dirty solutions? Like dust, grime and scratches.

I am wondering, can this model handle oils, grease, or stuff that can make plastic brittle? Presumably one ought to be careful what stuff one smear onto the parts, in case the stuff is damaging the parts somehow.

I guess some long term plan might be in order, to better get an idea of how to dirty up this astromech unit, and still be happy with it. I think I would prefer a light, or moderate, normal-use weathering.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:28:45 am by Decoman »

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 07:22:41 pm »
1/2 scale?  Egads he's going to be yoooge!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Saturn5

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:39:12 pm »
Interesting.

I agree that the too-clean-look is a little jarring, so I think some clever weathering could be interesting.

Maybe try some more natural dirty solutions? Like dust, grime and scratches.

I am wondering, can this model handle oils, grease, or stuff that can make plastic brittle? Presumably one ought to be careful what stuff one smear onto the parts, in case the stuff is damaging the parts somehow.

I guess some long term plan might be in order, to better get an idea of how to dirty up this astromech unit, and still be happy with it. I think I would prefer a light, or moderate, normal-use weathering.

Good point. I used a very thin coat of oil and gabsol which didn't seem to cause a bad reaction. I have seem what nail polish remover can do to styrene so I will be cautious. I picked up a set of Tamiya's weathering powder today so we'll see if I can give the leg just the right amount of grime.

1/2 scale?  Egads he's going to be yoooge!

Yup, although a bit more manageable to display than a 1/1. Kind of bought in for the chance to play with some robotic electronics (and the mini lightsaber that's stored inside.)

Enterprise © Bloc