Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can A High Quality Acrylic Primer Be Found In Bulk?  (Read 136 times)

Offline Harumph

• Ensign
Can A High Quality Acrylic Primer Be Found In Bulk?
« on: June 29, 2018, 01:43:38 pm »
I've been slowly but surely getting back into modelling.  I recently purchased an Iwata RG3 miniature spray gun, for priming, light blocking and base colors.  I'm 47 years old, so I've really only used enamels like Testor's.  I have an Artograph 1530 Hobby Model Spray Booth, which works great with a regular airbrush's fumes, but working with the RG3, there is still a little too much left in the air for my wife's comfort, and even mine.  So, I think this may be finally the time to move to acrylics.   Before I do, I would like to try to find a more economical product than little bottles from Tamiya or some such.  So, my question is, are there any primers any of you have used that perhaps can be purchased by the quart or some large amount?  I know nothing really about acrylics, so I'm familiar yet with all the different companies.  I thank you very much in advance for any help provided.

Offline RossW

• Captain
Re: Can A High Quality Acrylic Primer Be Found In Bulk?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 08:34:45 am »
Your timing could not be better - in the last few years we finally have quality acrylic primers available, some of which come in pretty big bottles. My current fav is Badger Stynlrez. Comes in a number of colours and big 32-ounce bottles if you paint a lot. Looks thick in the bottle, yet it dries very thin. Wet sandable, too, which is what kept me using Tamiya spraycan primer for so long. You can find it on Amazon.

The other option is much newer - Mission Models. Their paints are fantastic but I

Online starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: Can A High Quality Acrylic Primer Be Found In Bulk?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 02:13:15 am »
Something to look for in acrylic primers is how well it adheres. 

For vinyl models, acrylic primers adhere well.  They are the only primers that one should use on them, because solvent based primers can interact with the vinyl.

For plastic, its not so good.  The first model I built with acrylic paint, I used acrylic primer and was very frustrated when the paint and primer lifted off the model with masking tape.  I then learned that acrylic paints need a primer that has good surface adhesion.  Since then, I use rattle can primers and acrylic paint adheres to that.

I have heard people say good things about vallejo primer but you can't sand it and its really more of a urethane than aqueous emmulsion acrylic paint.  I have not tried the Badger paint that RossW mentions.

My advice is to test the adhesive properties of the primer before comitting a build to it.

Enterprise © Bloc