Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question on getting rid of the over size patterns on the 1/537 1701-A kit  (Read 215 times)

Offline James. T. Kirk

• Ensign
 Hello All,

I have the old Amt 1/537 scale 1701-A refit.  and want to light her up.  but before building her want to get rid of that so called aztek patern that AMT scribbed into the hull.  I thought about sanding it off  but worry that sanding that deep to remove it will also get rid of details I don't want to remove.   I also thought of filling it in with bondo  but fear the filled lines will show through since I was thinking of doing the flood light effect by not covering the areas they shine on the lettering and numerals with black paint  so the interior lighting will show through the hull color and purhaps look like the flood lights?

Any suggestions or tips on any of this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
                                                                                                                    Kirk

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Hello All,

I have the old Amt 1/537 scale 1701-A refit.  and want to light her up.  but before building her want to get rid of that so called aztek patern that AMT scribbed into the hull.  I thought about sanding it off  but worry that sanding that deep to remove it will also get rid of details I don't want to remove.   I also thought of filling it in with bondo  but fear the filled lines will show through since I was thinking of doing the flood light effect by not covering the areas they shine on the lettering and numerals with black paint  so the interior lighting will show through the hull color and purhaps look like the flood lights?

Thank you for your time,
                                                                                                                    Kirk

Most people who have attempted this go with the filling approach. Epoxy-type fillers like bondo would be your best bet, so they don't shrink.  The filler WILL show up if you attempt the Ratheon lighting technique.

Sanding down until you have removed the brickwork is not going to give good results, since the brickwork pattern is cut pretty deep into the mold.

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
The only suggestion I can think of is to try casting light from the bridge and sensor domes on to the saucer.  It will take some trial and error and I would recommend using these super small LEDs:

http://hdamodelworx.com/5-PACK-0402-SMD-WARM-WHITE-Pre-Wired-with-LEAD-WIRES-and-prewired-resistor_p_104.html

These LEDs are the size of a pin head and are very bright.  You can also adjust the brightness to a degree by using a higher resistor value or have complete control over the brightness by using an Arduino.

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
Hello All,

Thank you for your time,
                                                                                                                    Kirk

As stated above, filling in the panel lines would be the way to go.
I don
Matt

Offline Valiant

• Lieutenant
I have to echo some of the comments here. I had one of those releases from the 90s well before our prized 350 amd 1000, and speaking from experience you are best to fill and use smd lighting for flood lights. Yeah it'll take more time and effort, but overall even if you could Raytheon effect (term i picked up for bleed through lights) i really doubt you would be as happy especially after any aztec pattern over top of it.  This effect is best replicated on solid no pattern surfaces.

Enterprise © Bloc