Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finished 1/1000 USS Defiant  (Read 485 times)

Offline holt35

• Ensign
Finished 1/1000 USS Defiant
« on: July 02, 2018, 05:36:37 pm »
I just finished my 1/1000 scale USS Defiant model built over the last four weeks and wanted to share with you guys not only the model but also a few things I found out when building the kit. First let me tell you that although it's a snap kit I did glue mine together and I would recommend you do the same. I decided not to use the hull panel decals, not because they look bad but because they seem to have an as seen on TV or in space look which was not the look I wanted.

The model was primed with Tamiya grey and then painted Tamiya Insignia White for a base coat, doing this made the model a vary light grey color and also I was able to tape off some of the grey panels before painting the Insignia white. After the base color I did other panels in Tamiya light blue AS-5 which has a vary grey/green look to it, I also used USAF light grey AS-16 in a few areas and IJN grey TS-67 for the dark grey on top of the warp engines and a few other small spots, The rest of the colors are custom mixes and I also gave the model a vary light weathering job which doesn't really show up to well in the photos. Overall I enjoyed building this kit and would recommend it to anyone even if you don't care for the Defiant design.

This is a list of parts you should glue on the model if your not planning on gluing the whole kit which I thick everyone should.
#101 which are the clear parts that go in from the inside, if you don't they may push back in like mine did.
#106,107,108 and 109 which are the phaser banks and I would recommend painting them before you try to install them incase you drop one so you can find it. NOTE test fit these parts before adding glue.
#110 which is the deflector dish.
#102 which are the impulse engines
#9,10,103 and 104 which are the warp engine plates both front and back. I would cut off the snap tab and just glue theses on when the model is almost finished. If you just snap them in you run the risk of braking the seal and putty job( if you did that) along the side of the warp engine plus when looking at the model from front or back you can see where the tab is but the rest of the part has a small gap around it which looks odd.

Anyway here's the finished model, as always questions and comments are welcome! Thanks for looking.

https://imgur.com/a/NUyTjlo
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:34:43 pm by holt35 »

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: Finished 1/1000 USS Defiant
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:48:45 pm »
Your build looks quite nice and I like it next to Lakota. 

There was another incident of Federation ships fighting each other.  M5-Enterprise fought four starships.

Offline holt35

• Ensign
Re: Finished 1/1000 USS Defiant
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 08:52:28 pm »
Your build looks quite nice and I like it next to Lakota. 

There was another incident of Federation ships fighting each other.  M5-Enterprise fought four starships.

Thanks and I can't believe I forgot about the M5 incident.

Enterprise © Bloc