Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Its been a long time...  (Read 402 times)

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
Its been a long time...
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:00:28 pm »
Hey guys and girls,

I almost can't believe how much time has passed between my last post (last year) and today. Long story short i am switching jobs, i moved houses and thus needed to remodel my new room and such it all made me forget this awesome forum in a way to take active part. I did login some days and read your builds, but could not bring up the motivation to post my builds i tried to do in this turbulent times.

Well although not everything is back at its feet (switching jobs and such) i can now say i've sort of settled into my new home, so lets get back on track shell we?

As some of you may remember i started this journey with a 3D printed Runabout followed with a Revell Voyager build and a 1/1000 1701-Refit.
My third project i was doing concurrently with the Enterprise was a 3D printed Puddle Jumper from Stargate Atlantis. It's printed in a reduced percentage of the original, so i don't really know at what scale it turned out in the end, but i think the results is decent. Not as good as my others, but a fun little build. It includes 4 smd lights, 2 in the interior lighting the inside and 1 per engine to simulate thrust. As i wanted the model to have chairs a pilot and scientist in the back i decided to make it in a lift off kind of state with the back hatch partially closed.

Its not bad, but could have been better in the way its mounted on the base and the layer lines could have been nicer. This project was completed around januari 5th of this year.

After this i saw something in a 3D printing channel that i follow on Youtube and after seeing it, i just needed to have it. So project 4 was born.
But what is it i saw you wonder. Well it was a 1701-D WarpCore desk lamp!  :o

As it was featured in the 3D printing channel i knew somebody most likely ha shared the design and thus began my search and not to long after i found one. or actually a couple. So more people were doing this and all this time i hadn't seen it before.  :P

The project was quite easy as it was just going through the motion of printing the needed pieces in clear plastic for the core rings and light defuser inside, and a grey colored plastic for the housing. But i needed to think of a way to do the lighting and what kind of led's i wanted to use because of the defusers.
I settled on using addressable led's in a light strip and an arduino nano to control them. There are 10 led's in sections of 5 above the intermix chamber and 5 led's in 1 section beneath it. Because that is the portion seen in the show. But one could most definably make the core longer if desired.

Here are some pictures of the build:

As you can see there are 2 buttons on the back. The black one you press to change warp factor. It start up in warp 1, but you can increase it to 2, 3, 4 al the way to warp 9 and then back to 1. And the Red button is used to change color. Naturally i start in blue and most of the times it stays there. But if i'm in a different mood i can switch to green, red etc.
Longer pressing the red button changes the saturation of the color, so that i can mix a few more colors or even white. And pressing the black button longer changes modes. Modes include warp core breach (it speeds up turns red and then resets), color fading (switches automatically between all colors), slow color fading (the same but slower giving a better effect and more in-between colors) and lastly solid (in which the running effect is disabled and all the leds are on at full power, if you really want to use it as a lamp  :P )

Here a video showing some of the features and running effect:
https://youtu.be/oGb_Hniiduw

This project was completed in February of this year.

Lastly i wanted to share one more thing i build and completed last week. It is however not Star Trek related, but in its own way i think it is science fiction and thus i think you guys would like it. Right around the time i started my 3D printer hobby one of my uncles started a RC car hobby and bought some Tamiya and Traxxas 4x4 cars to go crawling as racing it not really our thing. Well about 1,5 month's ago i decided i also wanted a car and we had talked about how fun it would be to build a Jeep Wrangler in the Jurassic Park style.

Enter project 5: Jurassic Park Jeep Wrangler

I won't bore you after this long post with all the details, (unless one of you requests it, then i will divulge all the info) but suffice it so say this build is based on a Tamiya CC-01 chassis with a Jeep Wrangler body from Tamiya. The body is a hard shell and so needed to be painted on the outside, like i had a little bit experience in. The body is however a hardtop and not the open top kind of Jeep. But by my reckoning the park would have soft tops and hard top jeeps. At least that is what i tell myself  ::)

I also chose to use metallic paints instead of the mat paint Jeep used on the real car and also i decided to make a full interior for the Jeep with the 3D printer, consisting of a fake roof with roll cage (that hides the wires of the roof lights), dashboard which is modeled after the real deal, front and back seats, a driver, door panels to hide the mirror stubs. And even a rearview mirror with number tag  ;D And the JP decals are homemade with an inktjet printer and decal paper.

Well thats it, those were the 3 projects i worked on in the time i was away. I hope you like it, and if you have questions about on or maybe all of the projects feel free to ask and/or comment on my work.

Oh and lastly you may remember i sold my Voyager to my uncle because i didn't really have the space for it in my old room and thus build the smaller Enterprise model. Well in my new room / home i have the space for one "bigger" model. So i'm thinking of building a new Voyager for myself. What do you guys and girls think? Should i build one for myself now that i have the space? And if so, should i try and incorporate an arduino with addressable led's for lighting effects such as power up sequence and warp flash?
3D printing enthusiast - Model making noob - SciFi fanatic
Previously build a Revell U.S.S. Voyager and a Polar Lights 1:1000 U.S.S. Enterprise Refit
Currently building Spekkie's U.S.S. Voyager Mark II (with motorized warp nacelles)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Its been a long time...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:15:00 am »
Welcome back.

Superb builds and that warp core is just awesome.
Iain

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 05:00:48 pm »
Thanks TK Iain,

The warp core was a fun thing to build. Especially the light core and figuring out what led's gave the best result was a challenge that in the end paid right off.
Previously build a Revell U.S.S. Voyager and a Polar Lights 1:1000 U.S.S. Enterprise Refit
Currently building Spekkie's U.S.S. Voyager Mark II (with motorized warp nacelles)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 03:58:09 pm »
...getting from there to here!

Sorry, Spekkie, that it took me too long to recognize your title source!

Well done, Sir!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 06:14:53 pm »
Hey Steve,

Then again i did mix it up a bit, because the start of the song is: It's been a long road  ;) (the its been a long time comes later in that verse)
But indeed it was chosen with a double meaning in the back of my head and you Sir found it!

On an other note, i'm glad i'm back on the forums and in the SpaceDock chatroom, i'm enjoying the builds of others and my second Voyager is progressing steadily, so in the end we'll get there ;)

Enterprise © Bloc