Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/537 USS Saratoga Conversion. Deep Space Nine  (Read 990 times)

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
1/537 USS Saratoga Conversion. Deep Space Nine
« on: July 22, 2018, 06:41:24 am »
Hello to all

Started working on a conversion that I have been thinking about for a long time, USS Saratoga from Deep Space Nine
 I could not find a 1/1000 conversion , I thought I had seen one somewhere , So I picked up the a Alliance conversion.
 upon getting all the parts washed and checked, it took me almost 2 days on and off sanding filling all the air bubbles and
 mold lines. The sensor shields were the worst, I still have some more sanding and filling to get them where I want them
 after 2 days of that I thought I would turn my attention to the warp engines, I did not want to use the DLM inserts, So I
 thought I would try something different, The pictures you see are the result of my attempt, No after market parts were used
 but I did spend the better part of a day cutting. Also I will be toning the blue down maybe some more, I want to keep the blue
 toned down and to keep it in scale, I could not find any pictures with the Saratoga with its warp engines lighted and I know
 most of the Reliant class in Deep Space Nine had both sides lighted, but I am only going to light the inside of each engine
 The pictures below is my progress so far, I am a very slow builder. 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:59:32 am by charlie-mike-six »

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: 1/537 USS Saratoga Conversion. Deep Space Nine
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 08:04:26 am »
Also I will be toning the blue down maybe some more, I want to keep the blue
 toned down and to keep it in scale, I could not find any pictures with the Saratoga with its warp engines lighted and I know
 most of the Reliant class in Deep Space Nine had both sides lighted, but I am only going to light the inside of each engine

To my knowledge, the physical Reliant filming miniature didn't actually have the violet grill nacelle lighting the way the Refit Enterprise did. And the DS9 "both sides bright grills" lighting came about when they switched over to CGI for most of the effects.

That said, there's definitely arguments for all three; not lit because we never saw it lit originally, purple inboard grills because the Enterprise had them and the two ships shared the engine design, or full on both sides bright blue because clearly there was a major refit program afoot sometime during DS9.

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:34:53 am »
 I agree on three accounts, The only shots of the Saratoga on DS9, the ship was using impulse drive so the warp engines
would not be lighted, So I am going to go on the impulse that during the first shows was before the Miranda refit where
both sides of the engines was lighted, and after the Enterprise was destroyed in STIII, Being the 1701A was the USS Yorktown
renamed to USS Enterprise 1701-A, I will use the theory that the Yorktown had a upgraded warp engine, from violet to blue
so I will use the blue. of course I could be wrong on all accounts, But is sounds good anyway.

Offline holt35

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 01:45:42 pm »
No reason they can't be lite but if it were me I'd have a separate switch from the other lights to turn them on and off. Someone did make a vacuformed conversion kit for the 1/1000 Reliant kit but I can't remember who it was and Multi-Verse model has one in the works but they didn't know when it would be out.

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
Re: 1/537 USS Saratoga Conversion. Deep Space Nine Update 2
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 03:11:48 pm »
Hello to all

Thought I would post a small update, Engines are coming along, waiting on some small parts, So I turned my attention
to the big sensors. I got the first coat of paint on them, Mr Color Super White and International Orange. It took a lot
of work just to get them to this point, The conversion takes a lot of TLC. I know they are not perfect but it is the best
I can do. I should get them together and decaled this weekend maybe ! I am a slow builder. I am also working on the
lighting, and drawing out the plan. I should post another update next weekend.

Bye for now ! 

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
Re: 1/537 USS Saratoga Conversion. Deep Space Nine Udate 3
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 09:11:52 am »
Hello.

I have not had a lot of time to work on the Saratoga but I did get a few hours in. working on the engines
I glued the engine half's together with Tamiya extra thin with bits of plastic sprue melted. doubles as a putty
and this stuff is like stone when dry. I forgot how bad the rear of the hull fits. took a lot of work to get it to
the point you see in the pictures. I used perfect putty on most of the seams, using a wet q-tip to remove the
putty once dried, and there were some huge gaps between the engine pylons and the hull, so much I thought
I would have to use some strip plastic to fill the gaps. I hope to have another update next weekend, depends on
how much the wife will let work on it this weekend.   :)

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 09:21:58 am »
 A few more work in progress pictures.  :)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 10:42:33 am »
CMS (You really have me wondering about what that stands for!)

This is looking good!

The conversion takes a lot of TLC. I know they are not perfect but it is the best
I can do. I should get them together and decaled this weekend maybe ! I am a slow builder. I am also working on the
lighting, and drawing out the plan. I should post another update next weekend.

From one slow builder to another: "...maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey." Besides, you are building for you, not us, so take your time and do your best. That's all we ask! :)

Hey, if you want, post your lighting plan! I have posted my designs on the few builds that I have lit (lighted, litted...? :/ )and have received lots of help!

Stay strong and keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 02:17:05 pm »
 Steve

as for a lighting plan, I am going to us the Tena lighting kit for the Reliant. Of course I will not be using the photon
part. some I will design myself. The engines are almost ready for paint, Slowed me down somewhat putting that
little mod on the front of each engine, but to me it looks better. for now it is more sanding and some more primer
than I will polish all the seems. I have a closet full of Star Trek Models, I dont think I will live long enough to build
them. :)

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 05:13:44 pm »
Hello to all.

Just a small update on the Saratoga, opened some windows and test fitted some photoetch. Nothing is glued
Drilled some holes in the deck below the bridge, also drilled out all the , Nav , strobe, lights. I also like building
the lights and having them ready to go. I will post another update Monday.

Thanks for looking.
CM6

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 05:24:54 am »
The PE looks great.  I haven't seen the lights out in the open much, do the LEDs have little stubs on them or how are they done?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 06:50:00 am »
Scott

The LED's are assembled and soldered, I left the ends long until I install them in the ship, They are light house
2mm leds, I know this maybe a large for this scale but I countered the size by upping the resistor size, which
toned down the brightness, The nav light should not be close to brightness as the strobes. I have did a test
on this and it looks more in scale than running the same resistor on all of them, Once the LED's are installed
in the ship, I will sand them flush with the hull. I am toning all the lighting effects down this way, I don't want
my ship to look like a Christmas tree. even the warp engine effects will get the tone down treatment. as far as
I can tell the Saratoga from Deep Space 9 only had three strobes. one each at the end of each warp engine and
one at the rear of the bridge, I am replacing the kit bridge with a 3d printed one or I may use the one that came
with the conversion, I don't like the bridge that came with the kit, it just does not look right. Some of my light work
will be guess work, but I am keeping that down to a minimal . I have the Tena Controls main board to use. I would
rather use the Big Easy Model one but it takes to long to get products from them. I have been waiting on a order
for going on six weeks now , I am not even sure they have even started on the order. so I will have to use what I
have. 

Offline charlie-mike-six

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 03:09:46 pm »
Hello

Just a small update, I am starting the painting on the engines, after sanding and priming , after working on
them most of the day today I finally got rid of all the light leaks, I think other than a bare metal finish , white
is one of the hardest colors for me to get right. I used MR Color Super White. I will let this dry for the entire week
next week before starting the trim painting and masking. I want the base color to dry completely due to the masking
I have to do. the spot lights are good on both engines. I am going to do detail both engines including decals before
mounting them. I think it will make it easier. The mod I did for the fronts of each engine makes a huge difference
in the way they look.

CM6

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 10:51:39 am »
CM6, yeah white is a difficult color to work with. I tried a white base with a pearlized white aztecing and it looked great, until I handled it.

Man, it was hard to keep from introducing scratches until I sealed it!

Keep going! You're doing impressive work!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:41 am »
I really liked the spot light effect on the nacelles.  Are you using the Raytheon method?

Enterprise © Bloc