Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spekkie's USS Voyager Mark II  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
Re: Spekkie's USS Voyager Mark II
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 06:54:05 pm »
Outstanding! I had only seen one other person do the motorized nacelles, but I like this iteration a lot more! I have to go thru the thread in detail to catch up, but I love it!

Armando
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 02:14:40 pm »
Thanks Armando!

I saw those video's as well back in the day, but could never figure out how he did it. And he did not document his work for the whole world to see, so i thought its my turn to give something back to this community. I have learned so much here, and every little bit i can give back i gladly do.  ;)
3D printing enthusiast - Model making noob - SciFi fanatic
Previously build a Revell U.S.S. Voyager and a Polar Lights 1:1000 U.S.S. Enterprise Refit
Currently building Spekkie's U.S.S. Voyager Mark II (with motorized warp nacelles)

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 03:19:44 pm »
I have to go thru each post to understand what you did, but the concept is something Ive been wanting to do with my Voyager kit AND with the Klingon BOP.

Armando
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 04:51:15 pm »
No problem Armando,

And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them here or in a personal message to me. i will be glad to explain any of it.
Previously build a Revell U.S.S. Voyager and a Polar Lights 1:1000 U.S.S. Enterprise Refit
Currently building Spekkie's U.S.S. Voyager Mark II (with motorized warp nacelles)

Offline Rusty

• Ensign
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 07:11:29 pm »
Yes great job Makes me want to redo another Voyager.

Offline Slider

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 08:44:37 am »
And the only other thread in the forums i could find, is corrupted because the pictures don't work anymore.

I had read in the topic with the missing images of somebody that suggested a wire bent at an angle of about 45 degrees that would end up in the pylon and would force the pylon up when rotated. At the time i read it i could not get a clear image of how that would work, but now having drilled my wire holes i needed to test this right away
Amazing work Spekkie! I loved reading your progress and could't help to wonder if I was your missing image person you were referring to.  :-X
Was it this thread? USS Voyager, making rotating nacelles. Theory-crafting

I have not been on this forum for years :'( and switched host providers since then. I completely forgot update those images!
If it was my post, I apologize :)

But, it is exactly what I had in mind back then! I never got around to actually building it my theory, but apparently you have nailed it!
Since you proved it's not only theory any more, I might have to finally starting building mine, using your system. ;D

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 05:45:41 pm »
Hey Slider,

You don't know how cool i find this that you found my thread referring indeed to your thread of back then! Like you guessed correctly my entire system is based on the ground work that has been done in your topic and the video's that were on youtube without any info on them. Video's for inspiration, you're thread for guessing a mechanism that could work.

Well good sir, it works! And it works good. It could always be better for a version 3.0, but for now and as my ship is sealed its going to stay this way, i'm happy with it.

I still need to edit the final video of my build, to show it here, but some other stuff came up and i hope i get the time this weekend or beginning of this week to edit the video. (i've shot everything, but ass for reasons i will explain in a second, i need to past and cut some takes in the video.

What were those reasons you ask?
Well, the system of using 5 buttons with resistors and sending the voltages through 1 wire into the arduino using a headphone connector is kind of junk. I should have thought of a batter system like a bluetooth remote or something. The problem i face is that the resistor values can shift resulting in the arduino not recognizing buttons anymore. and the headphone jack has a little wiggle room in the length resulting in a possibility that you place the ship wrongly and therefore don't get the connection of the 3rd wire (so power and ground work, but no buttons) or even sporadic signals (such as pressing button 2 and getting action of button 1)

However i can reprogram the arduino, so if i think of a better system that still would work with 1 analog input wire, then i can just implement that later, as the ship does not have to be changed for that. only the base. Which is a win for me.

Again Slider, i find it amazing you found me and got to see your theory come to life! And i would love to see you build the Voyager and even improving my version of the system  ;D

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 08:16:49 pm »
what? it's done?  where's the posts!  Really looking forward to seeing more here, especially how the lights and everything turned out.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 05:16:39 pm »
Hey Scott,

I know i need to make a big writeup of the last parts and the video showing it in action. Like i said i hope to get time this week that is about to start.
It has been hectic for me in preparations to attend a hobby expo (next weekend) and show off 3D printing and to do that decided to upgrade my printer with multi color capabilities, that i did today. And last Friday i had a wedding of a good friend for which i was responsible for capturing drone footage of the arrival and such.

But i promise i will post the info asap.

Offline Slider

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 02:53:28 am »
but some other stuff came up...

...What were those reasons you ask?
Well, the system of using 5 buttons with resistors and sending the voltages through 1 wire into the arduino using a headphone connector is kind of junk. I should have thought of a batter system like a bluetooth remote or something. The problem i face is that the resistor values can shift resulting in the arduino not recognizing buttons anymore. and the headphone jack has a little wiggle room in the length resulting in a possibility that you place the ship wrongly and therefore don't get the connection of the 3rd wire (so power and ground work, but no buttons) or even sporadic signals (such as pressing button 2 and getting action of button 1)

However i can reprogram the arduino, so if i think of a better system that still would work with 1 analog input wire, then i can just implement that later, as the ship does not have to be changed for that. only the base. Which is a win for me.

Tell me about it, moving homes, marriage, having our daughter. And building a Marklin (scratch build electronics) railway project took me away from building my Defiant and Voyager.
When the parts are in, I'm starting a Ikea Duktig kitchen project (with Arduino of course) for my daughters birthday. Lights and sound  ;D With an off-switch, so we don't go crazy!

My first project here, which needs to be rebuild, is my: USS Defiant
Which also has lost all pictures, I need to restore them soon.

I used a 3-wire 3.5 phone jack too, but instead of using 1 analog wire, I used another Arduino in the "base" for the switches.
That Arduino sent a simple command to the models Arduino using UART Tx only. You can sent as many different commands as you wish with this.
And, you can make this wireless using Xbee shields or something. Switches are being read using a MCP23017 port expander.

I also used an Adafruit Wave Shield, in the base for sound effects.

But, I had the very old Defiant version from the '90's, which doesn't fit at all.
Just after the base layer of paint (which was good), the new version came out. Bought that 1, salvaged the electronics and still need to rebuild the 2.0 version.

Anyway, I found the original picture from my Voyager post. For your own peace of mind, I thought it would be nice to share it again for you  :)
It was a simple sketch-up I made using Lego Technic building software, just to illustrate the idea.

Thanks for the praise, but you're the one who actually build it! ;D

Mazzel!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:06:49 am by Slider »

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:21 am »
Thanks for the image Slider!

First off all i find it fantastic you used a Lego design software to sketch it out, as i would have used Lego Technic pieces in the past when i build models. Heck i even used it last week in powering a windmill i 3D printed.  :o

The real interesting stuff is in seeing how similar your sketch and my final version are. The "wire" with the 45 degree bends is exactly what i understood from the text. only the connecting arm is different. and based on what you have. so in my case i needed to work towards a servo and used 3D printing for that. If i would have used Lego then your sketch would have been the way to do it. It might still be a little better as for the strength of that piston powered by rotation.

And i know you only intended the picture as a sketch, but sometimes Lego is a good way to go.  ;)

And credit were credit is due, because without the tekst of your topic i would have never thought of the 45 degree bend wire tp pull up the pylons.

Enterprise © Bloc