Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to - spotlights from nacelle to registry mark - Enterprise refit 1/350  (Read 196 times)

Offline mashumatthew

• Ensign
I've been looking and looking for an in-nacelle mini spotlight solution that will illuminate the Starfleet mark on the lower hull of the PolarLights Enterprise refit 1/350 model. Has anyone been able to successfully do this (and the spot look tight/good)? If so, please let me know...how???

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
It's tricky to do. The best I could manage was to mount some 3.5mm LEDs in short bits of brass or aluminum tubing (can't remember which- doesn't matter) to aid in focusing them... somewhat. I experimented with various lengths of tubing until I got the best result. While testing I mounted the inboard half of each nacelle on the pylon temporarily. This allowed me to aim the lights through the spotlight holes until I got them where I wanted them, then I fixed the tubes in place with some epoxy putty. It's best to do this in a darkened room. I'm pretty sure I had to enlarge those spotlight holes because they were blocking too much light, and there's the rub: a smaller hole means a narrower but dimmer beam while a larger hole allows brighter but more diffuse light. Damn you, physics!

Here's the end result:

IMG_2727 by Marshall Blythe, on Flickr

IMG_2793 by Marshall Blythe, on Flickr

Offline mashumatthew

• Ensign
Thank you for the reply and apologies for my delay in this answer back!  Your end result looks incredible! I seem to recall maybe (?) seeing a video by you on YouTube of this work? If you have a link to that (if my memory is correct), please share.

I'm working on some home remodel projects now but will get back in touch when I move to this "beast" of a model!

Thank you again!

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
Some have considered raytheon lighting. but if the thickness of the plastic doesn't present an issue, then the color of the actual material will. You may end up with a rather yellowish tint to your spotlight.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
You could look at collimating micro lenses.  Real spotlights use collimation. 

Offline mashumatthew

• Ensign
Thank you for the replies! Never heard of "collimating micro lenses" so since I learned something today, that makes today NOT a good day to die!  I will check into them.

And WRT the Raytheon style... I'm looking to avoid that on this model - with one exception - I may break down and use that style of lighting for the back end registry illuminations on the nacelles. That is, unless someone has some other brilliant idea (other than reflected lights from dental mirrors!).

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
Thank you for the reply and apologies for my delay in this answer back!  Your end result looks incredible! I seem to recall maybe (?) seeing a video by you on YouTube of this work? If you have a link to that (if my memory is correct), please share.

Thanks, but I have nothing posted on YouTube. You're confusing me with someone more talented & ambitious!

Offline mashumatthew

• Ensign
I am sure I saw the pix somewhere. Do you have a blog by chance?

Again, great work and thank you for the ideas!

Offline Decoman

• Commander
I think I've learned that the tip of a single strand of glass fiber will shine like a spotlight.

Perhaps a thin glass fiber strand might offer enough focus given the small diameter?
Or, I guess even then the light might be too diffuse again.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:56:35 am by Decoman »

Offline mashumatthew

• Ensign
Thanks for the suggestion. Lucky for me, I have a 16YO son interested in electronics, engineering with a small dose of interest in Star Trek so I have tasked him with trying to figure out how to get a LED in some tube that has a microlens to focus the beam into a tight stream across the roughly 7~7.5" distance it has to be thrown to reach the secondary hull's insignia. He even suggested designing something on a 3D printer to put inside the nacelle that can help. Will update as we proceed!

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
I am sure I saw the pix somewhere. Do you have a blog by chance?

No, sorry. My only postings appeared here and on HyperScale. Again with the ambition (or lack thereof) thing...

Enterprise © Bloc