Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 22" Space 1999 Eagle Transporter  (Read 266 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
22" Space 1999 Eagle Transporter
« on: July 27, 2018, 01:04:08 pm »
Here we go folks.

As my Liberator is on hold until the new parts arrive in a week or two I looked at "The Stash" to see what could be on the build agenda next and this BIG kit just screamed at me to be built and so here we are.

As you know this is the MPC 22" Space 1999 Eagle Transporter from the classic Gerry Anderson series from the late 70's/early 80's and like all the kits I have I have been itching to build this one for a wee while now. I think this kit has been showcased a few times on the forum but I can't find any posts so once this initial waffle gets laid down I'll have another wee look.

Apart from the Babylon 5 spacecraft I think the Eagles have been "the" most thought out design of what a "future" spacecraft will actually look like and the design is now enshrined in sci-fi lore and history.

Anyhoo! Better get on with it I suppose. For those that have never seen this kit it is "BIG" as in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy BIG (see what I did there!) and the box gives you an idea of the scale of what lurks inside.

The kit is best tackled in setions apparently and that is how I plan on doing this build starting with the Command Module/Beak and working my way backwards. It will of course be lit but only the cockpit. I have seen some truly awesome builds of this kit but in the tv series it was only the cockpit that was lit, There were no running lights/anti collision lights/formation lights or so on so in that respect I have a 5mm diffused yellow led wired up and ready to go to be installed in the cockpit when the time comes. I have the led epoxied to some platicard so it can be easily attached (I hope) to the cockpit interior.

TBH the cockpit interior is extremely basic comprising off four pieces and two pilot figures but seeing as very little will be seen anyway that's not really a problem but it would have been nice to add some internal blinkies and so forth if a full interior was available.

First plan of attack was the command module halves which were glued together (no suprises there) and left overnight to cure properly.

The kit is a lovely moulding but after watching some build videos it was apparent that the two halves leave a very noticeable gap which can be a bit of a swine to tackle so out with the squadron putty (I really need to get the white putty as well one day) and once again all was left overnight to cure.

The next day it was out with the files and sandpaper (of various grades) to start work on the seam and here is where it starts to get a bit weird.

Once I had done the initial filing and then spent some time sanding both wet and dry I hit the module with some primer to see what areas needed more work and slap me down with a kipper I could'nt see anything that needed a bit more work so like I said - WEIRD.

I got it first time which has only happened once since I took up modelling again.

On with the show and after I got over my shock I primed rear of the cockpit, which also has had a small hole drilled through it for the cockpit light and the two pilot firgures have been primed and there we have it so far.

There is a photetch set for this model but I did'nt bother with it as a) I'm not a great fan of PE as I just don't seem to have the knack of working with it yet, and b) most of it will be hidden anyway. There is however a decal set that allows for weathering and more accurate markings and I have bought that from Gerry/HDA and hopefully that will arrive in a week or so.

I hope you come along for this latest build.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:08:23 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Re: 22" Space 1999 Eagle Transporter
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:23:01 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this progress!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 02:28:12 am »
Looking forward to seeing this progress!

Thanks mate!
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 02:38:10 am »
Yet again you pull out another kit that I have in my stash as well that I would like to make!
Aside from the 2 SD's I've seen you make, where do you find room to keep these massive kits??
I shall be following along again  ;D

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 03:18:59 am »
Thanks Mad!

As far as I am concerned it's my name on the front door, the bills and the bank statements so I can put the kits anywhere in the house I want (if Eleanor ever sees that I will die a thousand horrible deaths!).

Actually running out of room now so my big 1/350 NX-01 kit is up in the loft alongwith some other kits. I do have a space in the spare room looked out for my 1/350 refit when I get around to that one later this year. I swap my models about a lot and those not on display are kept in the loft out of harms way.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 03:45:27 pm »
Iain,

Yet another wave of jealousy and excitement sweeps over me as  I see you unveil yet another build!

Jealousy in that you have pick another one I want to build and excitement to see what kind of lighting your are cooking up for this one!

Keep at it, Mate!

You are doing an awesome job!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 02:17:51 am »
Thanks Steve.

The beers are on me (ie:- Eleanor) if we ever get to meet. Would be nice to swap some military stories.

Anyhoo! As for the lighting I only plan on having the cockpit lit up. No dis-respect to others who have built this kit in the past, present and future but the Eagles never had running lights or blinkies in any shape or form during the tv series and I want to keep it that simple. Saying that other builds that do have the blinkies look amazing. I was toying with putting some flickering lights in the main engines but at this time it will just be the cockpit that will be lit.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 02:23:17 pm »
Back again.

Being off work last week (bloody chest pains but thankfully the 'ol ticker is in perfect shape but the rest of me is totally gubbed!).

Anyhoo! I got a lot of work done in the cockpit area but first I decided to tackle the two pilot figures which TBH aren't the most highly detailed figures I have ever seen but they will do for this kit.

After priming the figures where painted out in orange, yellow, white and grey. I used some Tamiya clear yelow to simulate the helmet visors and I'm quite chuffed with how it turned out.

So far so good. I thern turned my attention to the rear bulkhead of the cockpit and although it does'nt show the cockpit wall is done in a light brown overall and the main hatch is a couple of shades lighter. I still have some detail painting to do and to apply some decals but that part of the kit is pretty well done.

Once that was out the way I got to work on the cockpit beak and after applying some black primer on the inside and outside to tackle the light blocking I airbrushed the inside of the beak white to help bounce the light around on the inside when it comes to that part.

Once the paint was dry I attached the 5mm diffused yellow led to the inside after a bit of sussing out where the best place to put it would be.

Whilst I waited on the epoxy to cure around the led bracket I attached the first part of the framework to the rear cockpit wall (more for something to do TBH).

I thought I would have a quick look as to how the two pilots would eventually look. The figure on the right has had some more clear yellow applied to the visor as the face/nose is plainly seen. As I said earlier I still have decals and detail painting to do on this section before I think about closing up the beak.

And last but by no means least I thought I would have a wee look as to how the cockpit will look when eventually finished.

There we have it so far then. I hope to get back to the beak before the weekend and I hope you like what you see so far.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:27:57 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 08:07:16 pm »
Looking good.  My little 1/48 will be puny by comparison, but I love to get ideas ahead of time!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 09:43:47 pm »
This is looking good. Keep it up!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 03:28:39 am »
Back again.

Just a short and sweet update in that the beak and outer rear wall have been painted in Tamiya Flat White.

So far so good but obviously got a long way to go. TBH I am having difficulty getting the enthusiasm going for building this kit (and for any others) as all I have done for about 3yrs straight is build model after model and that's including the last three auction builds so just going to take this one slowly as I do still have that big SSD to finish off once the base is ready and the base mirror in place.

One bit of news is that the weathering decals you can get for this kit arrived from Gerry/HDA in just over a week (USA to Scotland) so that peaked my interest. Got a few things to get sorted out then I'll attend to the cockpit windows and the black areas on the beak.

Like I said just taking it slowly but surely with this one.
Iain

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 06:46:39 pm »
Looking pretty good so far

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 09:25:02 pm »
(if Eleanor ever sees that I will die a thousand horrible deaths!)
I would guess more like death from a thousand horrible cuts with your very own hobby knife.🤕

Seriously, very nice work so far. I assume you are going to seal off the two bottom triangles of the cockpit beak, as these were never lit.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 08:16:03 am »
I fully understand having a lack of enthusiasm for building and have several unfinished projects as a result. Why not take a short break and come back to it when you feel more motivated?
I have to admit my mojo has come back with a vengeance on my SD build and I think it's because I am just taking my sweet time with it and enjoying it more as opposed to having to do something on a deadline and feeling rushed and obligated which sucks the joy out of building.
For what its worth, what you've done so far is great. I love the clear yellow for the visor idea. May have to steal that one day....

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 10:27:09 am »
Thanks Mad. ;D
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc