Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neil's 1/72 MPC Space: 1999 Eagle 1 Transporter  (Read 155 times)

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
Neil's 1/72 MPC Space: 1999 Eagle 1 Transporter
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:56:20 pm »
This will be a quick one: After seven months of building the Polar Lights 1:350 Enterprise Refit, you think I'd be tired of modeling. I dunno, maybe I simply have withdrawl symptoms after completing the Enterprise, but I went out and picked up a Space: 1999 MPC Eagle Transporter kit and started on it this past weekend. I built one of these when I was a kid back in the day and it was fun to open up that box once again.

This is an incredibly easy kit - but I'm going to do a few customizations. I've done a little bit of research as to what other builders have done and additionally, it'll be me thinking about what'll make this little guy look better.

The first step is to cut out the two cages (I don't know what they are called exactly, but I'm calling them cages).

Once the cages were cut out, I needed to create some boxes to put inside them. This was pretty fun because I was able to incorporate some of the unused parts from my Enterprise Refit model. In fact, one of the box sides was created entirely from the board I blew while building the refit!

With the cages put together, I added some more greebles to the top of each one and then attached the spine. The rest of the kit went together nicely and I hit everything with some primer.

More later...
Neil

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Neil's 1/72 MPC Space: 1999 Eagle 1 Transporter
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:09:29 pm »
this is in the revolver of 'next six' projects.  Enjoying watching your take on this.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 01:36:10 pm »
So I'm almost done with this little guy. I've added a bunch of little details around the engines and tanks. Most of these were modifications and additions that I saw others do on the internets.

I did a VERY light base coat of white over the grey primer. I then gave it a light spray of black on the underside. I then went over it again with the white very lightly. This gave me a nice almost weathered look to start with. Most of the "panel" painting was done by using Tamiya masking tape and making little shapes along the hull. I was using several images of the studio model for reference... although the studio model was repainted A LOT during production, so there's not one really definitive look. Once I had all the little shapes painted I did a few more that were a bit more loose and ghosted - to give it  bit more depth. Quick tip: If you happen to have any unused paint masks from the 1:350 Refit, you can use the extra random blocks for the secondary hull of the NCC-1701-A to use as masks on this model. They're just the right size!

I starting adding some weathering and scratches, etc. but have decided to wait until everything is completed before I continue. I don't want to overdo it because I was looking at a part out of context from the rest of the model.

I applied most of the decals and I did a lot of the little detail painting by hand. A few flubbed brush strokes here and there, but nothing I can't fix.

So, she just needs a little bit of tweaking - and some more thoughtful weathering - and then it'll be time for the finishing dull coat.

More later...
Neil
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:05:41 pm by neilfsmith »

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 06:31:13 pm »
That's looking good!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 06:38:23 pm »
Never built one of these, but I am soooo looking forward to it after a couple of threads here!  Your work is quite nice.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 06:51:01 pm »
After some more subtle weathering, I’ve completed the Eagle Transporter and have a few shots to post. I’ll be shooting them in a better setting and putting it in the gallery in the next few days or so.

I liked building this little guy - especially right after the 350 Refit. I was just the right size of project to ween me off the need to be working on something every single day. I would have liked to build up some better looking landing gear, but my 3D printer needs some attention at the moment. I guess that’s my next project! LOL

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 07:16:57 am »
Nice job, Neil!

Great build!!
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc