Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project
« on: July 31, 2018, 08:52:24 am »
Hi everyone

Well, time to bite the bullet and start on the "smaller" of the 2 Star Destroyers I have in my stash (well really, the Bandai mini SD's are the smallest I have but they are not ones I am going to detail). The bigger one is the Korbanth Super Star Destroyer which measures out to be about a meter or so long! The Bandai ones are to go with the SSD. I will build the monster one day but I want to tackle the one that requires the least amount of work first. I'll have to clear some room on my display shelf even for the standard SD but I think this will be worth it.

This kit needs no introduction as there have been a multitude of these built online. I bought this ages ago but just haven't had the mojo to put in the effort it deserves.

I will be adding details and of course lighting (which goes without saying really). To go with this kit, I have the Falcon 3D printed hangar bay, rubbish chute, shield generators and engine bells - all of which are beautifully made and smooth as a babies behind. I might even go to Shapeways and order a set of gun turrets too.

No pictures as yet as I have only just started but I'll add some soon enough.

As always, your feedback will be welcomed throughout the build - good or bad. If something looks wrong, say something. As nice as it is, I don't always need a "good job" and constructive critique is a good way to learn and be a better modeller.

I will be starting with the engine block and have already removed the smaller molded on piping as they don't connect to the parts that they're meant to. It just looks weird

See you all again soon

Si

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 02:02:40 pm »
Go for it bud.

Going to be watching you put this one together.
Iain

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 04:20:01 pm »
Looking forward to this also!

Cheers,
James

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 10:36:47 pm »
Interested. I'll be watching!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 07:27:35 am »
Interested. I'll be watching!

Me too!

If only for your new icon! ;)

And the build!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 04:36:43 am »
There seems to be several after market products for this kit now. :)

It isn't clear to me what I would chose, though I know there are both photo etch and resin (I think) for the hangar. If I were rich i would at least get the nice large thruster casings I've seen, but I think I will use the default ones myself when I get around to it.

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 05:50:27 am »
Thanks for the interest guys.
I'm looking to do a few mods to the engine casings and add some inserts to the walls. You won't see much of them once the bells go on but you and I will know they're there ;)
There will be more added piping etc as well. They are a bit bare but still infinitely better than the AMT offering.
The back end is the part I'm most excited about doing. The side walls will also benefit from some extra shelves etc

Me too!
If only for your new icon! ;)
And the build!

LOL - yeah - I quite like that one myself to. It's very addictive in a sad kind of way

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 02:50:10 am »
Update #1 - playing with the back end

So this is what Zvezda give you in terms of detail OOB

Nothing wrong with that at all. Once those bells go on, you don't see much unless you're looking

I removed the molded on pipes in the middle here because they don't even meet up to the parts at the end. They seem pointless and half done, which on a ship this size is noticeable

Now here's what I've added to the surfaces (bear in mind I have only just started and there is a LOT more to do yet! I am just winging these details BTW)

The white bits are all cast resin pieces of bits I use a lot of

As you can see in those last 2 pics, I've gone outside what is on the filming model and added an insert to make things a little more interesting. I'll be adding some pipes going in later

Anyways, I'll update again once I've finished the other sides which will be a while away as I only build 3 nights a week

Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 09:09:20 am »
That looks great!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 12:56:54 pm »
Love it, what do you use to bend your small copper pipes with out collapsing the wall?

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 01:22:55 am »
Just a pair of rounded pliers. Its all brass rod, not tube so no worries about bending the walls in  ;D

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 06:49:27 am »
Looks amazing and you have only just started.

I have another two of these myself with one for me and one to get built up and sold on the UK Garrison forums so I am going to pinch all your ideas for both as this just raises this kit to another level.
Iain

Offline madmonk

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 07:38:51 am »
Mad by name, Mad by nature!!

Great to see you giving this your normal upgrade!!

As for only building 3 nights a week, what a luxury! I struggle with 3 a month!

Keep it up Si.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 06:33:40 pm »
As for only building 3 nights a week, what a luxury! I struggle with 3 a month!

I feel your pain!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 08:35:42 pm »
thanks heaps for the encouragement guys. Warren - great to see you again my friend! I hope all has been well with you?
I guess I shouldn't be facetious about building 3 nights a week when some of you get that a month or even 2 I dare say.  ::)  ;D

Enterprise © Bloc