Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project  (Read 2743 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2018, 10:49:06 am »
Si, you are the King of detailing and greeblies!

I really want to learn how you bend those wires without kinks. Nice job on the piping!

Keep going and keep astounding!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2018, 08:56:52 am »
Thanks Steve - your very kind. I also get the odd kink but its all about putting the pliers in the right spot. There will always be a degree of indentation no matter what method or device you use.

Thought I would show you where I am up to on this before I go on a well deserved holiday for a few weeks.

I've only really just started but it's not a race. I probably won't take any more pics now until the bridge is finished

Hopefully the cutting board will help some of you convey a sense of scale as well

The first set of pics are the walls for the bays underneath which are present on the filming models. I thought that was a cool feature so I did the same, except I opened up another one that wasn't there. All for my own personal tastes

Well, that's me done, but if you have any questions or comments or critique, I am always open to it

As always, thanks for looking in

Si

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2018, 10:41:23 pm »
Do like!

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2018, 06:12:09 am »
Loving this build! Together with Iain's I reckon I have a good chance of making mine look not too bad!

Can I please ask where those little resin greeblies came from?

Are they just spares from other kits?

Thanks!
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 07:12:15 pm »
sorry for the delay in answering your question Quarky. I cast the resin pieces from ship part sets that I use a lot of - mostly the Pitroad sets 1 > 4. It's infinitely cheaper than buying these sets all the time :)

It's been a while since I last updated this thread, so time to do so. I have finished detailing the bridge and am about ready to start adding the fiber optic threads and then get it all sealed up.

The main hangar bay has also been started. I have used a mix of Green Strawberry PE and Falcon resin parts as well as some strip styrene here and there, with more to go in due course. The front hangar bay is the GS PE set and looks good. It's all lit, painted and ready to install

So, less talking and more pics I say

Starting with the hangar bays:

I will try to meld the TIE fighter bay to the Falcon hangar section but it may not work do well. If not, I will need to scratch build it. I had a heck of a time mounting the SMD's as the wires kept coming off. They are not the best quality SMD's I think

Lastly, the bridge detailing is all but done. I won't be adding anything further to it. Once the paint goes on, it'll look much better and not so busy

Well, that's all the pics I have for now. I am about to start on the neck area and garbage chute etc. I won't add too much detail here....well, maybe a little but not too much

Feel free to comment, critique or suggest

Thanks for stopping in and looking

Till next time

Si

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2018, 03:18:51 am »
I hate you! :(

Just because it makes my two look so crappy in comparison so when I start a third one in a couple of months I am going to totally pinch all your ideas in an effort to come anywhere close to what you have achieved with this build. My first one was for a charity auction and it was essentially a straight out of the box build as none of the PE/3D parts had been thought of yet and it went for 1400GBP so lord knows what price it would have commanded if it had anything approaching the level of detail your build has.
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2018, 05:52:07 am »
LOL - no worries mate - steal away  ;D
I thought your build that you did the thread on was awesome. Obviously others thought so as well if it got 1400 quid for it!
I won't lie, I had to do 2 side projects to stop myself from burning out on this one. I sometimes wonder if I have gone a little too OTT with the detailing, but I soon get over it and chug along some more

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2018, 09:43:17 am »
Keep on truckin Mad!

Your brain does tend to turn to mush sometimes and especially as all you seem to do is drill an endless amount of wee holes. :o
Iain

Offline Plaztek

• Commander
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2018, 03:09:42 pm »
LOL - no worries mate - steal away  ;D
I thought your build that you did the thread on was awesome. Obviously others thought so as well if it got 1400 quid for it!
I won't lie, I had to do 2 side projects to stop myself from burning out on this one. I sometimes wonder if I have gone a little too OTT with the detailing, but I soon get over it and chug along some more

This is.....AWESOME!
Please don't stop with this insane amount of detail. This is fantastic.
Take breaks but dont stop. Coming from someone who is always going overboard and usually beyond my abilities but that's how we get better Right?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 12:35:54 am »
Thanks mate  :) . Don't worry - I won't be stopping it. I have invested too much time and money into it so far t give up on it I sometimes think I've bitten off more than I can chew, but I dare say most modellers go through that phase at some point during a complex build.
Your quite right when you say that doing more than what you think your abilities are used too can make you better. I started off with my first detailing project after seeing Yatasith's Venator. I had never scratch built or detailed anything up until that point and now I am glad I did it, otherwise I'd still be doing most things OOB - which could also be considered a curse in some respects :)

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2018, 10:56:57 am »
The added surface detail is amazing...keep going man!

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2018, 04:32:12 am »
It's looking much more uniform now that the bridge has some paint on it.

Started on the neck section

The garbage chute is installed and has some red fibers on the inside

Adding some details to the big antenna thing using some scrap PE bits

Close up shows there's some clean up to do, but that won't be hard

Anyway, thanks for looking

Si

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2018, 04:34:00 pm »
Yup....   Sure looks great with that first coat of paint....   I hope Zvezda is stealing all your detail ideas for a future release!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2018, 11:37:57 pm »
I hope Zvezda is stealing all your detail ideas for a future release!

Or better yet,  Bandai.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2018, 07:36:52 am »
Si, *SMH* This is just...spectacular! Love the detail you're doing - of course you always add detail - but this is next level...uh..stuff! ;)

Keep going and thanks for sharing your work!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc