Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bandai's new Death Star II Vehicle Collection model  (Read 81 times)

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
Bandai's new Death Star II Vehicle Collection model
« on: July 31, 2018, 08:58:36 pm »

While in Tokyo last weekend shopping at model stores all afternoon long in the Akihabara district, I picked up the new Death Star II kit. I'd brought my nippers with me, so with some sanding sticks I bought that day I did a quick build of this kit in my hotel room that night. Here is a photoset of that build on my Tumblr modeling feed. I posted this on the SFMA Google+ page a few days ago.

After filling the seams I'll prime it black, then build up the gray, do a wash, and probably do some drybrushing on the construction layers to help bring out the detail.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: Bandai's new Death Star II Vehicle Collection model
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 04:58:00 am »
Somehow the "laser dish" looks rather large on the 3d model. Not sure what to think about that. I should go check out the photos. Sometimes, camera angle can wildly distort the proportions of something.

I periodically look for Bandai Star Wars kits on ebay in hopes to find new stuff. :) Btw I've seen Y-Wing, X-Wing, B-wing, Tie fighter, Vader's Tie Advanced ship, Snowspeeder in 1:144 scale, which would complement the 1:144 falcon kit(s). Sadly, with recent sales of the new B-Wing, the price is just too high for a 1:72 kit imo. Hopefully the price for the B-Wing will lower, though it sort of seems like maybe the B-Wing is a limited thing, which would be well silly. Ah, I've also seen a 1:144 death star trench kit, but it seems to be simply a collection of those collectable parts that comes with the 1:72 kits, and only showing the bottom and the right side wall afaik, probably not authentic.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Bandai Super Star Destroyer kit to go with their tiny Star Destroyer. :)

Btw, I have the B-Wing in 1:144 scale (toy, not Bandai) and up till today I've always wondered how the B-Wing could be so powerful as it seems to be in terms of being a bomber, though looking at my shelf now, the X-Wing is so much smaller than the B-Wing I see now. Never thought about that before until today. Probably a lot larger than the Y-Wing as well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:51:46 am by Decoman »

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: Bandai's new Death Star II Vehicle Collection model
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 06:00:26 am »
Btw, I found another photo. The proportions looks more correct in this photo below.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:02:05 am by Decoman »

Enterprise © Bloc