Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMT 50th Enterprise 1/650 build. *Complete newbie*  (Read 554 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: AMT 50th Enterprise 1/650 build. *Complete newbie*
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 08:43:18 am »
I understand how annoying it can be when new people post without searching but it appears I missed it.

psylow, I didn't mean to imply I , or anyone else, was annoyed. Quite the opposite, as a matter of fact. I love to answer questions and try to help others avoid problems and issues; because I find them so often. I very much appreciate having a step-by-step thread to follow as an example and thought you might as well as a "complete Newbie" :) (Sometimes, I feel like I am not too much removed from being a newbie after seeing all the masters on this site!)

If you only knew how annoying I am about asking technique questions; often times stating "Type slow so I can understand" or "speak to me like I'm a kid"!

So no offense meant - we are all learners here, me moreso than others.

Ask away and know that you are more than welcome and the only stupid question is the one un-asked!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline psylow

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 09:15:01 am »
No problem.

I would like to know what glue you recommend. 

I also think I'm going to use perfect plastic putty for my attempt at seam work.

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 09:52:10 am »
psylow, not to say you can't ask questions, we here love questions, but there are several threads that may provide you with info for step by step.

This thread is my own. I am not claiming to be the best, or the only, but it may give you some ideas and pit falls to avoid.
Steve's

This thread is the reason I joined Scifimodelaction -
Crowe-t

No offense to any other builder, but this is probably the best thread ever on accurizing the 650 kit! Crowe-t didn't light it or anything, but everything else is spot on; and the results, IMHO, speak for themselves.

You can use the search function and type in "1/650" in case you hadn't already figured that out. Many threads or examples of the finished models should pop up!

Keep going! As this one was my first in decades and got me going again in the hobby, I have a special love for the kit and any thread building it!

Steady as she goes, Mr. Sulu!

Steve

Thanks for these links.  I too did extensive searching on this forum and the internet in general, but did not stumble across these threads.  Both builds are beautiful and I hope mine comes out half as good.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 10:40:15 am »
psylow,

As for the glue, its a kinda "whatever works" situation - unless you are dealing with ABS materials, then you either need ABS glue (recommend Tamiya) or cyanoacrylate (CA or superglue). Used these on my NSEA Protector build AAAAALOOOOOTTT!

For my TOS E 1/650 build, I used Tamiya extra thin cement (has a green lid/cap/thingy). This super thin cement allows you to use capillary action to cement tight seams; i.e. the nacelle seams and the primary hull seams. It "melts" the styrene and creates a durable bond between the pieces, but the pieces MUST be in contact for this glue to work best.
For areas where you would need more of a fill (open seams) and strength, I would use either Tamiya cement (has an orange cap; much thicker than the extra thin) or Testor's Red tube glue. Both of these also melt the stryene to create a better bond.

If you are needing strength for areas such as nacelle pylon supports, you may want to use reinforcing brass tubes running the interior of the pylon to prevent the droop.

If you have not made it through my tome of my first TOS E build, after I glued the pylons in place, I also used Millput, a two-part epoxy putty, shaped to fill around the pylon to secondary hull contact point to lend strength to the assembly.

CA is excellent for "tacking" a piece in place, but I would recommend using the Tamiya or the Testors for the permanant bond as a follow-up.

My "go-to" for fill, strength, and bonding is monomer and acrylic. I used to work in a dental lab and am very comfortable working with it and am familiar with it's properties. I use it alot to addd bulk and strength to the model. Search "Great White Whale Restoration" as I wrote alot about using it in a 1974 AMT TOS E restoration. Others use CA and baking soda (I think) to accomplish the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Lemme know if you have anything else.

Steve

BTW - you're welcome T-Shark. Are you posting here on Scifi? Did I miss it? If so, do you have a link?

MSgt
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 11:48:23 am »
BTW - you're welcome T-Shark. Are you posting here on Scifi? Did I miss it? If so, do you have a link?

MSgt

My posts here on Scifi have been in the Arduino section regarding my method of bussard lighting (http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=7363.0).  I am fully lighting my TOS Enterprise along with detail parts from DLM, JT-graphics, and Paragraphix photo etch.  I have reached the point of primer coats for the sub-assemblies.  After reading the threads you have posted I think I will assemble all the main parts prior to final paint colors.

Offline psylow

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 03:23:19 pm »
*Update*

Have not had to mach time to work lately but finally got around to some fitting before I putty.  On one of the nacelles, the two halves do not match up.  How do I need to address this?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 03:52:14 pm »
psylow,

How does the rest of the piece look? Does the nacelle support line up? Does the other end line up?

A possible fix is to perform surgery on the piece - i.e. take out a sliver of the engine on the offending end further down on the engine (enough to allow you to re-align the grooves) and glue the pieces to each other. Then use putty and sandpaper to make smooth the seam at the extracted piece site.

Another solution is to buy an aftermarket piece that has you cut off that end anyway and replace it with the aftermarket piece. Just a thought.

I may be able to help more once you show more of the piece.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:57 am »
*Update*

Have not had to mach time to work lately but finally got around to some fitting before I putty.  On one of the nacelles, the two halves do not match up.  How do I need to address this?

I too had this problem.  My suggestion is to order replacement bussard caps from JT-Grpahics (part number JT-033).  These replacement caps have the ridges molded in so you just saw off the ridges on the nacelles.  Not only does this easily solve the misalignment problem, but the bussard caps are better detailed, come with clear domes, and the internals visible through the domes really adds a lot of detail to the model.  The only downside is that they are expensive and take a little while to get.  I highly recommend all of JT-Graphics resin parts for the 1/650 Enterprise.  Much better detail.

Here is a link to the parts:

http://jt-graphics.com/RP_650.html

Hope this helps

Offline psylow

• Ensign
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 08:06:53 pm »
Sorry for the delay.  Here is the other end.

Enterprise © Bloc