Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1000 TOS Enterprise Lighting Question  (Read 185 times)

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
1/1000 TOS Enterprise Lighting Question
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:20:44 pm »
Hey all,

I'm currently working on the 1/1000 TOS Enterprise and am planning on lighting it.  My question is in regards to the red/green flashing beacon lights on the either side of the saucer.  I've got the arduino code just fine, but am wondering on the best technique for lighting those sections without bleeding into the "white" saucer section lighting.  There's really not much room near the edges where the lights are - so what's the best way of doing this?

1. Are people using the clear parts and putting a red/green LED right up flush to the side of it (with maybe some black tulip to mask some of the extra exposed LED?
2. Are people just painting the clear part transparent red and green (thus using standard white LEDs in so it doesn't matter)?
3. Are people putting red/green SMDs (the fairly tiny ones) flush on the upper AND lower saucer section for each light (ie, 4 total) and not using the clear parts at all?  Filling the "holes" on the top and underside with krystal clear?
4. Something way gooder that I'm missing?

I've got tons of SMDs and LEDs of various colors and sizes (though soldering them is a minor miracle with my skills).  What are you all doing?  The rest of the lighting is pretty simple - I'm just really curious what method to use or what method to competely stay away from.  Thanks all!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline Mark2000

• Ensign
Re: 1/1000 TOS Enterprise Lighting Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:29:15 pm »
In such a small space I would use one clear light on each side and paint the protruding bulbs. If you sand them a bit their surfaces should pick up the light.

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 08:20:09 am »
Are doing colored Nav lights on the top of the saucer and white on the bottom?  Then I would use a white LEDs on each side of the saucer with a light fence, made of styrene, around the LED and Nav holes.  Add a small piece of fiber optic to each Nav light hole in the saucer just long enough to transmit light through the plastic.  Then color and lightly sand the Nav light beacons (or you might just be able to sand the ends of the fiber optics to make the Nav light tops).

For the scale of the build you might consider these LEDs:

http://hdamodelworx.com/0402-SMD_c_38.html

I have used these LEDs.  They are about the size of a pin head and very bright.

Hope this helps

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:15:11 pm »
Thanks fellas!  Some good ideas!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline scout56

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:58:46 pm »
Hello:
In my model I used fiber optic for the white, red and green beacons of the soucer, the leds are hidden inside the model and thus do bleed into the white saucer section lighting.
regards

Enterprise © Bloc