Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: And then an interesting thing happened ...  (Read 222 times)

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
And then an interesting thing happened ...
« on: August 11, 2018, 12:09:06 am »
Hi everyone,

An issue has developed from a build which I finished late last year, which was a 1:1000 Romulan D7.
Let me tell you the story behind it before I show you the problem.

After attaching the pylons to the main hull, there were a few uneven spots around the locations of the attachment tabs. Example pic.

So, after copious sanding, priming, using red spot putty and all combinations and permutations thereof, the surfaces were basically perfect.
Then came your typical coat of enamel, Future, decals, Future and flat clear. All the while, I'm of course continually checking
things under all sorts of lighting and "finger rubbing" tests.

The model gets finished and looks good. But now, a few months later, this has happened.

One of the spots has returned ...  ??? ... I can assure you this was not present for at least 3-4 months. I can only see it in certain light
at certain angles, but I can feel it with my finger. I'm nearly 100% confident this has developed recently.

So, what gives? Several days, 1 week+, went by between putty/priming and the enamel coat, and I'm sure I would have caught an interaction.
I can't check my only other build before the D7 because I sold it.

Are there known issues with red Bondo over the long term? Trace amounts of moisture? Temperature changes? Something else
at work. I'm scratching my head over this one.

I'd like some idea of what's happening before I pick my current build back up and use bondo again.
I have some Perfect Plastic Putty and Liquitex modeling paste to try out, but that stuff is expensive and very difficult
for me to source ...

Spencer

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
Re: And then an interesting thing happened ...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 12:23:45 pm »
The red spot putty can shrink over time. It can also soften the styrene beneath it if applied to
thick. Which can show up later. I use it sparingly. For large areas I use Squadron white or green putty.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
Re: And then an interesting thing happened ...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 02:57:01 pm »
The red spot putty can shrink over time. It can also soften the styrene beneath it if applied to
thick. Which can show up later. I use it sparingly. For large areas I use Squadron white or green putty.

That's sort of my thought, though it's still strange that it only showed up in one spot and none of the others.
Unluck of the draw perhaps ... I didn't put it on all that thick.

Anyway, I'll go with Squadron, PPP and/or Liquitex from now on.
I'll only use the red stuff for what it says: "glazing and spots" on small surface scratches and what not.

Enterprise © Bloc