Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monogram Maquis Ship -- Completed  (Read 416 times)

Offline AlW

• Captain
Monogram Maquis Ship -- Completed
« on: August 13, 2018, 06:24:35 am »
Hi Everyone,

After a three month build, I'm doing the final shoot of the Maquis Raider.  Here's a brief summary of the build which can be found in the WIP section of SFMA:

*  This Monogram kit is a 1995 vintage kit at a scale of 1/323.  There are few parts and the build is pretty simple
*  DLM aftermarket clear resin parts for engine lighting
*  Starling Technologies modified Defiant nav/strobe/torpedo card
*  About 24 inches of LED strip lighting, 4 marker LEDs, 1 strobe LEDs and four nav fiber optic "lights"
*  The Maquis decals for the ship fins and base came off the internet, as did the Voyager-looking crew in the windows
*  Tamiya paints primarily used for base coat and Vallejo acrylics for accents
*  There are three coats of gray "wash" over the entire ship
*  The gooseneck mount is from Sweetwater music supply, and the galvanized base is a planter repurposed from Hobby Lobby

All in all, an enjoyable build.  Only a little seamwork, mostly around the hull halves.  The fun starts with the painting and deciding on the paint scheme for all the raised panels and other detials.

Special thanks to Stan at Starling Technologies who modified his firmware to provide a demo mode where the torpedoes will fire randomly once the torpedo putton is pushed.

Happy to answer any questions and thanks for all your WIP comments!

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
Re: Monogram Maquis Ship -- Completed
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 05:26:02 am »
what a cool looking ship! I have no idea what series this is from but I like it!! It looks a lot bigger than what it probably is judging by that last shot. The lighting is really well done too.
I'll have to go look for one of these myself I think.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 01:03:19 pm »
Very nice work.
Madhatter, this ship was seen in DS9 And the first episode of Voyager.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 04:52:38 am »
Thanks, guys.  It is a cool ship and an easy, straightforward build.  As Starsiegeplayer mentions, the ship had few appearances and I believe was even modified between episodes, so there's opportunity to exercise your own creativity!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 07:19:34 am »
Sorry I'm late to the party, Al! This looks fabulous!

I love how you have chosen to display this ship - very unique!

The finish and lighting are superb and very well done!

Thanks for sharing your hobby and art!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:26:27 pm »
Hey Steve, thanks for the kudos!  Hope you can back to your "C" build soon.  We're all looking forward to it:)

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 10:13:24 am »
Been waiting for the final reveal.  ;D You done this one justice. The lighting, detailing, and the paint work brought out the potential this kit has.

Nice work here. 

L.
"You are not stuck where you are - unless you decide to be"

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 11:38:52 am »
Hey L, thank you!  Your comments mean a lot coming from a fellow Maquis ship owner;)

After exhibiting it in an IPMS show last month, and taking a good objective look at it, I actually think I'm going to revise a few things.  I was never quite happy with the pastel colors of the DLM resin parts so I'm going to airbrush on some red and blue Tamiya clear and darken them up a little.  Also, while I really think the ship mounting, and the color and texture of the base is perfect, I think the scale is a bit too big for the ship.  Granted, it's a large ship but the base may be overpowering or too distracting.  Not sure how that critique will translate into a "redo" just yet, so I'll give it some time.  The next IPMS show I'd consider isn't until February!

Thanks again for checking it out:)

Al

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 11:48:00 am »
I had actually bought 2 of these kits when I purchased them years ago. The intent was to build both at the same time but alter the second one as I'd seen a slightly different version on an episod of STNG from that of Chakotay's ship on Voayager. That build never materialized as I had a few kits going at the same time.
I have the DLM after market parts for that one as well, been debating on selling it on Fleabay as I'll never get around to building another one. I've probably got around 30 or so models still in kit form to build as it is. When I get done with remodeling the house I'll be back building kits. 

keep up the good work.

L
"You are not stuck where you are - unless you decide to be"

Enterprise © Bloc