Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trying Stynylrez primer (TESTED)  (Read 568 times)

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
Trying Stynylrez primer (TESTED)
« on: August 29, 2018, 12:13:30 am »
Hey everyone,

I've decided to try out some Stynylrez primer to see if would be something I could use.
I like lacquer primers but want to learn how to spray acrylic primers, because I hack at even a whiff
of lacquer.

I had a pretty bad experience testing Vallejo primer. It peeled, tore, lifted etc. when I tried to sand or tape over it.
So I'm a little dubious about Stynlyrez, which is also acrylic polyurethane, but I bought some off of Amazon.

I noticed that some of the gray primer is stuck to the inside of the bottle, but I shook it up well and there weren't any bits or
chunks in my airbrush cup when I sprayed it. I know it the stuff freezes it's ruined. Badger had a problem with cold weather going
from dealers to end users this past winter, but I doubt that's the case here. I'll let it set for a few days and see if it settles the
way it's supposed to.

The instructions say to use a 0.5mm needle and 20-30 PSI. I have a 0.5 mm set for my Eclipse on the way, but got impatient
enough to hook up my Talon with a 0.38 needle and set my compressor to 30 PSI. That's a bit out of my comfort zone and
it's about as high as my little compressor goes.

I took a piece of spare styrene sheet and washed it, then sprayed on all three colors in succession.

I like it. It sprayed on smooth with little sputter. The airbrush tip didn't clog and the primer dried fairly quick.
One color was dry by the time I had flushed the airbrush for the next color. Coverage was pretty good. I suspect a larger needle would
have done even better.

I tried using a home-brew cleaner to scrub out the airbrush, but I found a little rubbing alcohol to be the best.
I'll leave this sit for a day (or two) and see how it takes to sanding, masking and scratching.

Spencer
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:24:24 pm by Spencer »

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: Trying Stynylrez primer ...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 01:50:31 pm »
I wonder how important it is to clean the plastic before adding primer.

I very rarely remember doing this. My plan for the future is to use this blue liquid that contain a lot of Isopropyl alcohol (I think) and wipe the plastic clean before adding primer.
Using soap might work equally well, though I guess the alcohol would dry up by itself and a lot faster.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 02:10:26 pm »
I wonder how important it is to clean the plastic before adding primer.

I find it to be very important. If you don't wash the plastic with some kind of degreaser, you run the risk of having oils and release agent
underneath your primer/paint. On some models, I can actually smell the mold release when I open the box. I normally wash with warm water
mixed with Dawn dish soap and scrub the parts down. I then use a little rubbing alcohol and a tack cloth just before I spray.

I've had paint lift with the exact shape and texture of my fingerprints because I forgot to make sure the part was clean.

I would say a wash would be even more important for primers like this, which may have more of a habit to lift compared to lacquers.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:16:19 pm by Spencer »

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 08:20:53 pm »
Okay, so I've let the Stynylrez sit for about 36+ hours and decided to give it some tests.

First, I started sanding with some 400 grit paper. It sanded the way you would expect primer to. It feathered out well and there was some dust, not chunks of primer.

Then the fingernail test. I let mine grow out a bit for this.

The gray and white had no issues, except at the edge of the plastic where I could apply a great deal of pressure and get a good grip.
I could scratch the black, but only applying a lot of pressure, enough to when you sound like you have to go to the bathroom  ;D
It also happened where two colors blended and the primer wasn't very thick. I doubt I would scratch it this badly with more uniform coverage and just general handling.
The change in luster you can see is where I really tried to scratch the paint, and is typical of every kind of paint I have ever used.

UPDATED: I scratched everywhere else over the plastic sheet and nothing came up. As I suspected, the primer was just thinner there than everywhere else, so complete coverage is needed.

Last was the tape test. I put down four different types, burnished them down, let them sit a few minutes and pulled them up slowly. I made no attempt to de-tack anything.

Left to right: regular blue painter's tape ... yellow frog tape ... tamiya tape ... MT brand washi tape.

The result was nothing, no lift whatsoever.

So, in the end, I think I'll use Stynylrez. I'll be a bit more suspicious of the black for now, and I'll test this out some more at some point,but I'm fairly convinced this is a good acrylic primer.

The primer does separate the way it's supposed to when left to sit, although the gray does appear to separate a lot more, but since it performed the best of the three, I'm a little hmm about that ...

Spencer
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:27:30 pm by Spencer »

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: Trying Stynylrez primer (TESTED)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:07:15 am »
I wonder if any GLOSS BLACK primer is more ideal than some matte or semi-gloss primer.

Presumably, any gloss paint will look better in terms of being more smooth after drying on a smooth plastic surface, and after that one can apply a matte or satin varnish. Seems like starting with a gloss finish might be a good idea. Something I've wondered try doing with Vallejo gloss black primer (for metal colors).

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 06:49:25 am »
I wonder if any GLOSS BLACK primer is more ideal than some matte or semi-gloss primer.

Presumably, any gloss paint will look better in terms of being more smooth after drying on a smooth plastic surface, and after that one can apply a matte or satin varnish. Seems like starting with a gloss finish might be a good idea. Something I've wondered try doing with Vallejo gloss black primer (for metal colors).

Glossy black would sometimes be better for metals if that were your next step. I recall Alclad II metallics suggest first laying down a glossy coat of black enamel, mainly so the surface
is uniform so the metallic looks believable. I've not tried this myself though.

But I would think to avoid putting a varnish over primer if you want to lay down another color. You usually want a little "tooth" to your primer so the other colors adhere better.

Stynylrez does come in gloss block and other colors (another reason it caught my interest), but I can't say anything about those ...
https://usaairbrushsupply.com/t/stynylrez-primers

Spencer

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 11:19:13 am »
This certainly is encouraging news. I purchased the exact same 3-pack from Amazon as well. Good to see that the results are positive, thanks for reviewing this primer!

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 03:43:49 pm »
This certainly is encouraging news. I purchased the exact same 3-pack from Amazon as well. Good to see that the results are positive, thanks for reviewing this primer!

No problem ... I hope it works as well for you as it has for me (so far). I'll have to wait and see until my next build just how well acrylic paint sticks to it. Fairly
well I would assume based on what I've seen/read elsewhere.

I emailed Badger through their online site (https://usaairbrushsupply.com/) and asked about the gray primer, but it might be a while before I hear back because
Monday is Labor Day.

BTW, it's a tad bit cheaper to buy this stuff from the above site if you don't have free shipping through Amazon Prime. I'll probably do this in the future and get it
more "direct from source".

Spencer
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 03:45:22 pm by Spencer »

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 11:48:36 pm »
Have you tried wet sanding it?

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 12:04:13 am »
Have you tried wet sanding it?

I have. Actually right this evening. Down the middle with some more 400 grit 'wet or dry' paper.

It seems to work. It feathers well with no edge or lifting. I also tried just putting water on a paper towel and rubbing an area of paint and noting came up.
I think if you let it fully dry (let all the water evaporate out) it'll take to wet sanding.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 12:10:55 am »
Cool.  Thanks for responding  :)

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 07:18:54 pm »
Just so you know, Badger got back to me on the gray primer:

=================================================================================
the separation is perfectly normal. 

shaking will not address the visible appearance on the bottle's outside, unless you really go at it for sometime, because when shaking you are only agitating pigment and base rather than thoroughly blending.  Using a  mixer (Badger item 121) will more thoroughly blend the pigment and base and slow down the pigment/base separation that occurs when you set the bottle down after mixing.  It may also pull pigment from the bottom and edge of the bottle and create a more visibly blended bottle primer - at least a little. 

Additionally, if you occasionally set the bottle upside down you will eventually see the pigment settle to the bottle's top.  Many modelers flip their bottles regularly, if for nothing else to be certain the pigment has not hard settled - which Stynylrez does not do regardless of flipping it.

Take air,
BADGER AIR-BRUSH CO.
Ken "Badger" Schlotfeldt
President, C.E.O
=================================================================================

So it sounds like you might need to occasionally stir/mix the paint rather than just shake it up all the time, which makes sense.

Spencer

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 05:16:18 am »
I always put one glass sphere into each of my Vallejo paint bottles, two in those primer bottles that are larger. They act as agitators and presumably helps mixing the paint.

A guy on youtube speculates that perhaps re Vallejo, sideways shaking is better than crazy up down shaking, to avoid it becoming bubbly and perhaps drying up, though I don't find this convincing, just something in the back of my head.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 10:25:45 am »
I always put one glass sphere into each of my Vallejo paint bottles, two in those primer bottles that are larger. They act as agitators and presumably helps mixing the paint.

A guy on youtube speculates that perhaps re Vallejo, sideways shaking is better than crazy up down shaking, to avoid it becoming bubbly and perhaps drying up, though I don't find this convincing, just something in the back of my head.

I bought a pack of glass marbles from an online aquarium store and put those into some of my bottles. Vallejo's FAQs actually say to roll the bottles between your hands sideways or on a flat surface. But, that would by kinda difficult for a 4oz. Stynylrez bottle LOL!

Anyway, I used a paint stirrer to scrape some of the pigment in the gray primer bottle and it shook right back into solution as suggested.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 07:39:24 pm »
I have suggestion for agitating your paints (and primer).  Go to the craft store and acquire some round metal beads, say 10mm or so in diameter.  They can be as big as you like so long as they fit into the bottle.  Cost about $6 for 30 of them.  Pop those in your paint bottles and you get great mixing.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Enterprise © Bloc