Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So many things to consider with models  (Read 133 times)

Offline Grue

• Ensign
So many things to consider with models
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:32:17 pm »
There's whether or not your airbrush works and whether you want to go broke on buying a crap ton of paint vs. the paint you'd ordinarily use and then there's the airbrush itself...

See, I want to do the 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise but my airbrush isn't working probably because I'm trying to paint with craft acrylics. Gonna have to go broke on testors' because that's all my LHS carries.

I don't think that a .05 mm nozzle will help cover the square footage of the hull. I'd need something like a paint gun. What do you think? $60 at the hardware store? What pressure would I use? How far back should I be from the model?

So, paining is my biggest concern.

I guess I just need to read some positivity regarding the Enterprise and painting her.

Online Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
Re: So many things to consider with models
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:18:26 pm »
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 10:33:15 pm »
There's whether or not your airbrush works and whether you want to go broke on buying a crap ton of paint vs. the paint you'd ordinarily use and then there's the airbrush itself...

See, I want to do the 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise but my airbrush isn't working probably because I'm trying to paint with craft acrylics. Gonna have to go broke on testors' because that's all my LHS carries.

I don't think that a .05 mm nozzle will help cover the square footage of the hull. I'd need something like a paint gun. What do you think? $60 at the hardware store? What pressure would I use? How far back should I be from the model?

So, paining is my biggest concern.

I guess I just need to read some positivity regarding the Enterprise and painting her.

If you are having trouble airbrushing craft acrylics, you may be doing something wrong.  There are plenty of people that airbrush with them.
Matt

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 03:00:59 am »
If using Vallejo acrylic paint, they say that:

1 adding thinner = dries paint faster
2 adding flow enhancer = prevents paint drying too quickly

So, it might be a good idea to make sure you add flow enhancer, and not just thinner.

Fun tip for airbrushing Vallejo metallic paint: Starting with a gloss smooth black surface --> fill the airbrush cup with thinner (lots) + add some drops of metallic paint (maybe four drops) --> airbrush on very lightly/thinly, and make sure the metallic paint dries between each pass (takes a few seconds) --> see how the metal lays down nicely even though it is all super thinned. In that case, the amount of thinner might help the metallic paint dry very quickly as intended, as the metallic paint has to dry, before adding lots of thin layers, to get to keep the shiny smooth surface you had before starting.

Tip: My advice would be to experiment a lot (and maybe take notes). Don't just airbrush one model after the other. :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:06:18 am by Decoman »

Offline RADIATION_STORM

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:47:13 pm »
i must be from a different time  i still use  enamels

Online Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 03:49:53 pm »
I still use enamels also.