Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modeling Paint Brands  (Read 160 times)

Offline Merrittk54

• Ensign
Modeling Paint Brands
« on: September 18, 2018, 08:59:18 am »
Waaay back in the day, all I ever used on my models was Testor's enamel.  Now I'm seeing that many of you are using Tamiya paints.  Any special reason?

Thanks for the input!
-Merrittk54

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: Modeling Paint Brands
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 07:33:20 pm »
Generally, easier to work with. Easier to thin, easier to get into the airbrush, brushable with some work, easier to clean up, and less noxious. Most hobby stores with more than a token model aisle carry Tamiya paints now.

Offline Markeno

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 09:07:40 pm »
When I started to get back into modeling, I picked up Acrylic paints.  As Lynn mentioned so many pluses.  I haven't picked up any Tamiya paints just yet, mostly because I didn't know what paints were best to start with, and I picked up others (which I intend to use up if I can).  They are working well enough for my very limited skill.

I have to hop away from my work on a moments notice at times, and that would be very bad with all the enamels out and a quick waste of brushes etc (not to mention having to lay down an airbrush with enamel sitting in it for who knows how long..).  Close the cap, toss the brush in a cup of water, and come back later..

The first Acrylic paints I picked up were Createx, as they were "Air Brush Paint" and I had just received an Airbrush for Christmas, it doesn't stick too well.  After reading the bottles, it is also used on fabric and then heat set it.  I don't see myself buying any more Createx paints in the future.  I am trying to use some of the paint up rather than waste it though.  I have picked up a couple Vallejo paints, they are certainly better, but I don't know how they compare to Tamiya paints, but that is what I can pickup in town instead of having to order in the mail.  I think some of the first Acrylics I had picked up were Testors Acrylics in the same little bottles as the Enamels come in, they brushed well, gave a pretty good finish and cleaned up nice, they also stuck far far better than the Createx stuff I ended up with.  I had picked up a few bottles of Testor Air Brush Acrylic in the same small glass bottles and they were really nice, rich color, great coverage, smooth even finish, easy to use, stuck great.

Just don't follow me on "what" Acrylics to buy, ask the people who know what the right stuff is.

I had picked up a new set of Testor Enamels I guess early on, as it was what I was used to using in the past.  I kept them, they are good for detail work when I don't end up with a lot of brush cleaning, or for colors I don't otherwise have in my limited Acrylic colors.

I am by no means very experienced as modeling.  I don't know much about paints either, so many others here and around otherwise can give experienced input for what they recommend using.  I have just been learning slowly myself after getting interested in it again myself a few years ago.  I wasn't very great/skilled when I was younger either.  Still I find it to be a fun hobby, especially as I have gotten into lighting models now (which I think I probably like doing even more than the model building itself so far).  I don't get too much uninterrupted time where I can really make progress, so I rarely try to start, and I am also learning lighting models so that takes more time too.  Give me another year and I might have my first "new" model fully built at this rate.

Offline Merrittk54

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:26:40 am »
Most hobby stores with more than a token model aisle carry Tamiya paints now.

Yes, I have noticed that.  In my home town, we have 3 hobby shops and all of them carry Tamiya.  Thanks Lynn!

Offline Merrittk54

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:30:22 am »
Give me another year and I might have my first "new" model fully built at this rate.

I know what you mean, same goes for me!  Thanks!

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 01:08:19 pm »

The first Acrylic paints I picked up were Createx, as they were "Air Brush Paint" and I had just received an Airbrush for Christmas, it doesn't stick too well.  After reading the bottles, it is also used on fabric and then heat set it.

If you seal them with a clear coat and use a good primer they stick rather well. They are very delicate before sealing. I use Krylon Matte finish to seal mine.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Markeno

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 04:41:05 pm »

The first Acrylic paints I picked up were Createx, as they were "Air Brush Paint" and I had just received an Airbrush for Christmas, it doesn't stick too well.  After reading the bottles, it is also used on fabric and then heat set it.

If you seal them with a clear coat and use a good primer they stick rather well. They are very delicate before sealing. I use Krylon Matte finish to seal mine.

I'll give that a try.  I was going to try using Future on them, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  I wouldn't have tried that, being afraid it would lift the paint, but I can pickup some and do some testing when I get a chance.  If the weather is good next weekend, and nothing comes up I was hoping to do some more painting then.

Give me another year and I might have my first "new" model fully built at this rate.

I know what you mean, same goes for me!  Thanks!

I think once I get one done, I will be able to make progress faster on the next.  I actually have 2 in progress, one complex, one far simpler (which may get done in less than a year :) ).  At least, I hope so, otherwise I already have about a decade of models sitting on the shelf waiting ;D

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 06:41:35 pm »
Future is a good sealant for them also. I use it as well.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Merrittk54

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 07:00:56 pm »

How do you apply the Future floor wax? Airbrush?  Regular aerosol?  Does it seal decals well?

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 08:48:47 pm »

How do you apply the Future floor wax? Airbrush?  Regular aerosol?  Does it seal decals well?

It sprays straight from the bottle with your airbrush. Use low pressure and multiple light passes. It is excellent for sealing decals.

And it is called Pledge Floor Care Finish now. Made by Johnson & Johnson.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:51:08 pm by Tankton »
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 11:49:17 pm »

It sprays straight from the bottle with your airbrush. Use low pressure and multiple light passes. It is excellent for sealing decals.

And it is called Pledge Floor Care Finish now. Made by Johnson & Johnson.

I've also used Future in an airbrush to very good effect.

The label got changed earlier this year. It's now Pledge Revive It Floor Gloss
http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=7348.msg93602#msg93602

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 12:17:25 am »
Tells you how long a bottle will last. I think I purchased mine abot two years ago. Still 3/4's full.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Merrittk54

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 09:05:21 am »
Many thanks for all the replies, lot's of good information. ;D

Enterprise © Bloc