Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Abandoned Thread  (Read 160 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Abandoned Thread
« on: September 23, 2018, 03:39:13 pm »
As a break from SF lighting projects I'll be building a MiG-21 to represent one flown by the forces of North Vietnam ca. 1970.  Several years ago I decided to build a number of 'ace pilot' aircraft and completed an F-4 (Duke Cunningham), a P-38 (Ken Ladd), a P-51 (Bud Andersen), an F-4U Corsair (Ike Kepford), and an F-86F (Joseph McConnell) before deciding the expensive Mirage III was still a bit beyond my skill level.  To this day it remains in the stash.

Recently a local hobby store was closing its doors and offered sales on everything, with escalating reductions as the weeks went by.  Spotting a MiG-21 I decided to buy it if it lasted three weeks.  It did, and now it is my next build.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:05:46 pm by scottminium »
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: MiG-21, North Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 01:49:16 pm »
There seems to be a nice resin upgrade for this particular kit should you be interested. I have no idea what this particular resin thing costs, as I haven't checked.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/225208-aerobonus-480-071-mig-21-mf-bis-smt-pilot-w-ejection-seat

I think a pilot with a white helmet inside would be a stunning detail. :)

Edit: Found this now on Ebay in UK, at a fair and relatively low cost:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerobonus-1-48-MiG-21MF-MiG-21Bis-MiG-21SMT-Pilot-w-Ejection-Seat-480071/332825663932
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 01:51:24 pm by Decoman »

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:42:13 pm »
Thanks Decoman.

However, after getting a bit further into this build I decided it was really a piece of junk and ditched it.  Instead, I picked up an Academy MiG-21, which is turning out to be just as superior as I thought it would be.  More to follow.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 03:45:08 am »
Older kits tend to have some issues in my experience:

1) raised panel lines
2) molds so old and used that the molds are worn out making for a gap in the model
3) poorly molded clear parts
4) flash, flash everywhere
5) recessed panel lines, but poorly made
6) bad decals
7) overly simplistic detailing
8) wrong shape to things
9) poor building instructions

I have my eyes on this Academy Tomcat in 1:48 scale for a nice price, as I don't feel like paying four times more for the brand new Tamiya Tomcat.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:46:50 am by Decoman »

Enterprise © Bloc