Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hollow Tube Sizes for Base  (Read 193 times)

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
Hollow Tube Sizes for Base
« on: October 01, 2018, 06:07:00 pm »
'nother really dumb question.  I've got one of the standard round2 model bases for my 1/1000 Enterprise.  I'm lighting this guy, so need a hollow tube for it to run the wiring (replacing the solid rod that fits the base).  I'd like to use the base, however.  Thing is, I've got 2 sizes of hollow tubing - one is too large by a hair, the other is a little small (there's some play in the base and the model kit). 

Here's the 2 that I have:
http://www.ksmetals.com/26.html

• Too big: #8130 7/32 5.56mm
  • Little small: #8129 4.76mm

Sooo, did some google-fu on https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/inches-mm-conversion-d_751.html and found one right in the middle: 13/64 5.1594mm

I CANNOT find that size anywhere...is this like a unicorn?  Anyone done this before?  If they are not available - I'll have to go with the smaller one and try to "pad" with some hot glue or something.  Thanks!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: Hollow Tube Sizes for Base
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 12:54:58 am »
I have gone with a smaller diameter.  You can "pad" lots of ways, including thick coats of paint.  You can also affix it using epoxy or milliput, using a drill to clear the tube afterwards.
  You could also go slightly larger, using a drill to widen the plastic hole.  If the plastic becomes too thin, you could  reinforce or replace it with stock styrene.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 01:11:34 am »
I have gone with a smaller diameter.  You can "pad" lots of ways, including thick coats of paint.  You can also affix it using epoxy or milliput, using a drill to clear the tube afterwards.
  You could also go slightly larger, using a drill to widen the plastic hole.  If the plastic becomes too thin, you could  reinforce or replace it with stock styrene.

^This

But if you really want something closer, I would think straight up 5mm OD tubing might work. K&S #9823.
A few websites have it. It might be what is used in the kit (metric sizes).

With a 0.1594mm difference, you're almost literally splitting hairs.

Spencer

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 05:30:23 pm »

I like this idea...don't want to start a thread on this...but it plays into to something I've never really figured out (me dumb).  I've done 2 bases where the hull is configures as a bottom half and a top half - totally cool.  In this specific scenario - the hull is side-by-side.  As in "( x )" where x is where the tube goes.  Rather than something like "( _ )"  where the "_" is a separate part of the hull (which is "easier"). The only way to do the former, in my limited experience is to afix the tube to only one side and then glue the two halves together.  Is there another way?  Or am I building a "bomb shelter" when an out-house would suffice?  Given this is a relatively small kit.   Stupid minds want to know!

^This

But if you really want something closer, I would think straight up 5mm OD tubing might work. K&S #9823.
A few websites have it. It might be what is used in the kit (metric sizes).

With a 0.1594mm difference, you're almost literally splitting hairs.

Spencer

Spencer - man...I totally didnt' scroll down to see that.  Looks like they separate the inventory values based on the thickness of the material.  In any event...thanks for pointing that item out.  I've ordered that tube along with some other needed gear (win-win).  Pretty sure that will work!

Fellas, appreciate the insight - thanks so much!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Enterprise © Bloc