Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colonial Viper Mk vii  (Read 1075 times)

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
Colonial Viper Mk vii
« on: October 03, 2018, 01:53:31 pm »
Hey everyone. This is only my third model kit as an adult. The first two were a TIE interceptor and TIE fighter.

I started this build about a year ago, worked on it for a while and then put it aside as a series of cascading life problems overwhelmed my time. I finally picked this back up about two months ago and have been slowly working my way toward the finish line. I am not a fast builder by any means.

The pilot is now not going to be used. The photo etch probably won't be seen very well either.

Photo etch landing bays will be largely hidden now that I've decided to mount this to a custom landing pad.

Original cockpit seat with photo etch belts. I decided I hated this seat and redid it. More below.

Some 3D printed parts I'm going to use to liven up the landing pad.

Painted, weathered, and with some decals.

This is going to be an open pit in the landing bay. Build from sheet styrene, with some TIE fighter base connectors, a guitar string, some solder, a small metal tube, and a few pieces of rube styrene as details.

The new cockpit seat compared to the old one. I'm much happier. Took a lot of sanding and filing on the bottom to make it fit. I did reuse the photo etch belts.

In the cockpit.

Landing pad started. This is just a FOR SALE sign from Lowe's. I got the idea from Boyd! Thanks!

Weathered and with a cool white SMD in place in the pit. The black base is a $12 picture frame with some foam board beneath the for sale sign for strength.

Lighting test of the cockpit. If you compare this to the earlier unlit cockpit you'll see I swapped out the main view screen image. The first one just looks too much like Eric Cartman -- it's all I could see. So I cut that out and used a different one.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:35:58 pm by modelerdave »

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
Re: Colonial Viper Mk vii
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 02:00:28 pm »
I've just finished the engines, which will be lit with flickering blue 1.3mm LEDs from Model Train Software. I need one more light to finish the cockpit and then I can start putting this all together. I'm still unsure how I'm going to get the wiring into the base. I'd like it to be invisible but I'm not sure how I'm going to manage it. I'm thinking I may put in a fake fuel hose or something.

Here's the front landing strut. These things were kind of a pain to get out the seam lines and paint in a way that they look kind of interesting.

The engines. The side control rods were also rather difficult to attach. I gave them a dry brushing of copper to give these a slightly more interesting color variation.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:27:31 am by modelerdave »

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 05:20:14 pm »
ModelerDave, did you say this was just your third build?  C'mon, your dry brushing, washes and weathering techniques show some real talent!  Great job and thanks for your posts.  I'll be following along:)

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 05:32:09 pm »
Hey thank you, AIW! Yes, just the third since I was a teenager. Trust me, I've been making tons of mistakes, which is why I've been taking my time. I've also watched hours and hours of videos to help out. I'm also super OCD when it comes to details.

I did buy a VoodooFX lighting kit for it but I suck with electronics, didn't really want to deal with a board in a model so small, and there was only one light for the cockpit, which I thought wasn't enough. Not bashing the VoodooFX kit, it just wasn't for me. So I'm figuring out my own lighting on the way.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 05:45:58 pm »
Most modelers are OCD, so you're in good company!

I really like working with Stan at Starling Technologies.  Not only does he have some unique lighting and sound kits, but on more than one occasion has re-programmed one of his boards for me.  Here's the link:  https://www.starling-tech.com/index1.php?id=home

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 05:51:50 pm »
Thanks for the link!

Online simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 06:11:01 pm »
...Ummm...this is some seriously good stuff.  Puts my detail work to a fearful shame!  Nice work - keep posting buddy!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 07:25:08 pm »
Thanks, Simi. I appreciate the compliment!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 01:24:24 am »
Impressive. 

Ittakes me 3-5 months to do a build, these days.  Fast isn't important as long as you get satisfaction.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 07:44:01 am »
Dave,

This is some truly impressive work! I am really "drop the jaw" impressed with just your pilot's seat and the cockpit! Outstanding! Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Keep going as I am looking forward to your next post!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 08:50:42 am »
Dave,

This is some truly impressive work! I am really "drop the jaw" impressed with just your pilot's seat and the cockpit! Outstanding! Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Keep going as I am looking forward to your next post!

Steve

Thanks, Steve! I am a huge admirer of your work, so you comment means a lot. I must admit I'm really happy with how the new resin seat came out. It wasn't cheap but definitely worth the cost.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 07:18:44 am »
That ejection seat is awesome, as is your cockpit detailing.  Looking good!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 05:59:49 am »
That's some nice work all round there Dave! That cockpit looks awesome and it was a great choice to swap out the seats to something more realistic than what they give you.
Are you using guitar strong there? I keep forgetting to get some for myself until I see someone else using it then I remember

As for the wires into the craft from the base, why not consider using 0.01 of a mm copper wire? It's so thin it's almost invisible and so you could you drill a small hole (I'm talking #80 small and that's still going to be bigger than what you'd need) through the base of the front landing pad at the rear (somewhere not really noticeable) and run the wire through the hole and up the strut whilst all the time disguising it as normal piping seen on landing gear?
Maybe a magnetic switch? (I don't really know much about them sorry)

Keep up the awesomeness Dave!
Si

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 10:04:08 am »
That's some nice work all round there Dave! That cockpit looks awesome and it was a great choice to swap out the seats to something more realistic than what they give you.
Are you using guitar strong there? I keep forgetting to get some for myself until I see someone else using it then I remember

As for the wires into the craft from the base, why not consider using 0.01 of a mm copper wire? It's so thin it's almost invisible and so you could you drill a small hole (I'm talking #80 small and that's still going to be bigger than what you'd need) through the base of the front landing pad at the rear (somewhere not really noticeable) and run the wire through the hole and up the strut whilst all the time disguising it as normal piping seen on landing gear?
Maybe a magnetic switch? (I don't really know much about them sorry)

Keep up the awesomeness Dave!
Si

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably try something like this. I am TERRIBLE at electrical stuff. It's just not a talent I have (though my dad and brothers all got that gene!). I am waiting for the last lights for the cockpit to arrive (post office lost the first shipment! Grr) and then I will work on connecting everything.

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 10:17:21 am »
Good god I am having a hell of a time getting the two fuselage halves to fit with this PE cockpit. I'm sure it doesn't help that I am using 11 LEDs to light it but the actual cockpit itself is really a little too big. Seems to be an issue with a lot of PE not fitting very well. Grrr...back to sanding and shaving.

Enterprise © Bloc