Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MLEV (Pegasus Hobbies)  (Read 484 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
MLEV (Pegasus Hobbies)
« on: October 21, 2018, 02:23:39 pm »
Another "wee" post as I start another model building adventure.

Having totally lost my modelling mojo recently (got fed up with the big 22" Eagle and yet another Zvezda Star Destroyer build which could net me 500GBP) I finally have a kit/build that I am excited about and want to crack on. The kit is of course the titular MLEV as designed by Randy Cooper after playing about with a hamster ball apparently.

This beastie is freakin' huge and the box alone is about 2ft suare and once completed this kit stands 18" tall and looks awesome. TBH I really could'nt afford such an expensive kit but my missus kept on at me to get something for myself for change and so here we are. I have done absolutely zero prep so far on the kit and I have yet to open one sprue bag as I need to sit down and have a plan of "attack" as we start the build. I have also ordered the Paragrafix set from Gerry at HDA so that should be with me in a couple of weeks as I am in the UK (so will no doubt get royally shafted for import tax as always). One thing I do have to hand is the Reliant board from Ralph at Tena Controls which I had originally bought for my 1/537 Refit build but will incorporate it into this model.

Better make sure it works as planned as it's been in storage for over a year but if I have any problems I know first hand that Ralph's after sales service is second to none.

I did toy with getting some of Randy Cooper's upgrade resin parts but TBH I am more than happy with the kit as it is but I probably will not use the resin figures at this time but that will no doubt change. I am toying with contacting him to see if I can purchase just the two EVA suits he has in one of the upgrade sets.

So! Once again I hope you will come along for the ride and see where we end up with on this build. I have had a look but I can't see any builds of this kit on these forums which was a big bonus for me TBH but if I am wrong just point me to the thread and I will certainly have a look and see what any of you that have built this kit think of it and any advice/tips you may have.

I have'nt even washed the parts yet but I just plan on taking my time with this one and doing the best job I have done to date.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:48:48 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline Merrittk54

• Lieutenant
Re: MLEV (Pegasus Hobbies)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 03:21:44 pm »
Looks interesting.  Is this model based on a sci-fi series?  Or is it conceptual?  Don't think I've ever seen it.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 02:37:11 am »
Thanks Merrick!

It's just a conceptual craft designed by Randy Cooper. Apparently it's the first in a series of kits designed by special effects folk such as Randy. It's an expensive model (better part of 300GBP) but worth it I reckon.

Have'nt a clue as where it will be displayed due to it's size but we'll find somewhere no doubt. Better start getting some sprue bags open to have a look at the 300+ parts.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:51:24 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 07:43:34 pm »
wow, please do post some pics of the pieces so we can get a picture of its size!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 02:28:21 am »
wow, please do post some pics of the pieces so we can get a picture of its size!

Will do - going to have to clear the work area a bit just to get some room to take pictures.
Iain

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 04:41:43 am »
Really enjoy these epic projects of yours, Iain!  Looking forward to it and best of luck!

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 05:51:45 am »
Cool project Iain! I'll be watching for sure

I didn't know about this line of kits from Pegasus until now. I always thought that the MLEV was a kit on his website but after I actually read the blurb from it, I realised he has created parts for it. So, he designed the MLEV but sold them to Pegasus who then kitted it from there?

Anywho, it's certainly a unique change from the standard subjects! I almost feel a bit silly asking this, but are you going to light it? Would be a shame not to.... ::) just saying

Bring forth your size comparison shots to the masses !!  ;D
MH

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 07:27:54 am »
I am gonna watch this one!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 07:44:43 am »
Thanks Guys.

Mad - It will be lit and all the bits 'n' bobs are on their way now and Gerry/HDA has just let me know the photo etch set is on it's way. I am still toying with asking Randy if I could just get the resin EVA suits that are included in one of his upgrade sets but I am not too bothered about that TBH. And you're right in that Randy designed it and then Pegasus marketed it.

Just got to figure out the colours for this one which may be a white or light grey overall and I am going to try out the Alclad matt white I have bought for my 1/350 refit to see how that turns out.

Might be a bit of an awkward build due to the size of the model but I am sure it will be fun and really looking forward to getting started after two false starts on other kits and a general feeling of "I can't face another build just now" but this beast has peaked my interest and it will be fun. I had a good look to see if anyone had built one on the forum before but couldn't see anything which was also a wee bonus for me as it is something different. Looking ahead to the eventual base and did think of having a Martian type base but I think I will just get a quality round base when the time comes.

I hope you all enjoy the build. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:21:39 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 01:20:12 pm »
Ask and ye shall receive.

Not the best of pictures but I will take more as the build progresses but hopefully this ones will give you an idea of the size of this model.

In the second pic my hand is 7 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger and it still doesn't cover the hull half as seen.
Iain

Offline Merrittk54

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 06:07:09 pm »
That is a big one! should be a blast!

Offline Plaztek

• Commander
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 05:48:39 pm »
Wow that thing is big! (I know, that's what she said)
I really love the design of this since I first saw it. What a great concept. I'm really looking forward to see how you tackle this one. I'd live to get one myself but it's way off my budget this year. This going to be gun to watch.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 03:48:10 am »
Thanks guys.

I really need to get the finger out and start the model and it hasn't even been washed yet. I have all the leds/resistors I plan on using on the way as I usually like to get totally new electrical stuff for a model which means I have a large surplus pile which comes in handy.
Really just waiting on the photo etch set to arrive (dunno why I bought it TBH as I really hate PE).

Anyhoo! I will post up some more pics once we actually get started on this build.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 02:41:28 pm »
A slow start but a start nonetheless.

I have started getting some of the leds and resistors I will be using (since taking these pics another batch of various sizes/colours leds have arrived).

And I finally managed to get some time in the bathroom to get this beast washed and this part alone took the better part of an hour due to the size and vast number of parts on the sprues.

I have also ordered up some of the paints I will be using and I have ordered up a load of the new Alclad acrylics so looking forward to seeing how they go.

So! Hopefully the next update will have me doing some major planning as to where everything will go.

Thanks for coming along for the journey.
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 07:56:32 pm »
Loving this.  I was fond of the Buck Rogers series but don't remember a Mars Lander.  Of course, that is not required to enjoy another of your builds!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Enterprise © Bloc