Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MLEV (Pegasus Hobbies)  (Read 485 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: MLEV (Pegasus Hobbies)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 03:12:56 am »
Thanks Scott.

I hope to get started on it properly later on today. I just used the Buck Rogers dvd cover to get a sense of scale for this kit but that still didn't do it justice.
Iain

Offline predator

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 11:03:02 am »
Very interested in this build as i have just ordered the kit.

Offline Lewilsons

• On Cruise control
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 09:28:17 pm »
Hey,

Not sure if you've checked out Randy Cooper's website, he offers some add on parts for this model. I know this was  a little pricey kit to start with, but if you wanted to up the level of detail, what he offers really adds that level to it.

Looking forward to watching this build.

L.
"You are not stuck where you are - unless you decide to be"

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 03:09:38 am »
Thanks guys!

L - I did have a wee look at Randy's site and I did consider getting some of the upgrade parts but TBH I would probably only have used the two space suits for the internal locker.

Finally got around to posting up an update on this build and a wee bit has been done but it's been headless chicken time at home recently so I just haven't had a chance.

The photoetch parts have arrived so I will be using them as much as possible even though I am not a huge fan of PE.

I will get to use the PE folding tool I got for use on my refit build when I start that.

For the painting I went a got some of the new Alclad enamels chiefly because they come in big 30ml bottles and are airbrush ready. I really wanted to use the white on my refit but although it says matt white on the bottle I think it looks ever so slightly creamy in colour but I will see later on when I actually start to use them. In the meantime I have been using the tried and tested Vallejo model air paints.

I have been experimenting with them and at this time I have to say I am not overly impressed as once sprayed the paint has a distinct "grainy" texture to it but maybe that was because I was using normal Stynylrez primer

The main deck has been primed and painted and initially I thought it was too dark and toyed with respraying it but I stuck with it.

It was then time to mask off the various panels on the main deck and I really must get around to ordering up some more masking tape as stocks are getting a bit low.

And here we are so far.

I decided to skip the part 1 of the build instructions as that dealt with building the main consoles as at that time the PE had'nt arrived so I tackled the main airlock section whilst I waited. I was going to paint it in the blue grey I had used on the main deck but after that was done I decided it really was too dark for the look I wanted so the parts where resprayed a lightened white grey and I am more than happy with the look.

Once the kit starts to come together a lot of the detail in the above parts will be hidden behind an airlock hatch but that does have a window in it so it was again time to start some detailing. I looked at a lot of ESA/NASA videos to get an angle on what colours are used and they are all pretty much the same with being chiefly white (no suprises there) and green which was a bit of a suprise as I expected a lot of chrome type colours so after experimenting with the various greens I had to hand I hit on duck egg green lightened up wth some matt white in about a 60-40 mixture.

A couple of other panels where sprayed in another lighter shade of the green I was using and once that was done it was time to start to detail some of the piping and so forth that was present in the airlock which I hand painted as it was just too fiddly to try and mask off the various bits.

Now if you look closely at the bottom right of the above pictures you can see a detail part with a red background surrounding a steel coloured part and as there is a hole in the middle and behind that is a 5mm blinking red led as I thought it would look like a warning light in the airlock to show a vacuum.

So! there we are so far and today I will start on the main console so hopefully I will have more to show you next time.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:18:12 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 03:49:58 am »
agreed - I'm loving this too! It's really looking great Iain. The PE set looks quite complex - but then, most PE sets do when they are all on a fret
I love Alclad paints. They spray beautifully but they stink to high heaven. I'm pretty sure the worse they smell the more noxious they are for you though. Still, a good respirator will help there
I keep going to Randy's site and dreaming of what I would love to buy if I had the money and the time. As it is, I have more kits than shelf space, so the dreaming will be as far as it goes (unless I win Lotto and can buy a new house with a room solely for models)
Looking forward to your next update when it comes
Si

Offline Plaztek

• Commander
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »
You do really great work Iain. Can't wait to see more.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 09:05:59 am »
Thanks Plaztek!

Will try to get as much done on this one as I can as a friend has asked me to build a 1/72 scale twin cockpit Spitfire which his dad had a flight in before he lost his dad in an accident. So this one will be put to one side for a bit when I start the Spitfire in a couple of weeks.

Iain

Enterprise © Bloc