Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MLEV (Pegasus Hobbies)  (Read 1717 times)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: MLEV (Pegasus Hobbies)
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:03 pm »
The model looks quite nice so far.  is it 1/24 scale?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 03:40:00 am »
The model looks quite nice so far.  is it 1/24 scale?

Thanks.

It's 1/32 scale so no idea what that relates to in real life. It's a crackin' model but not without it's issues such as poor fitting in some areas but nothing that can't be worked out. Really annoys me when you spend so much money on these kits and they go together like a 2yr old designed and built it.

Got some repainting to do at the front airlock as I want to paint the "padding" yellow to keep it in line with the interior so that will be fiddly. There are a couple of spots inside the airlock that won't be repainted as they are just too awkward to get to but once this is finished they won't be seen anyway.

Got a long way to go but really enjoying this one after so many Star Destroyers which sapped my modelling mojo big time.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 12:24:45 pm »
Moving right along with this one.

I have the spacesuit storage unit assembled and in place after a wee boob. I checked the lighting when I got home from work and noticed that one light was white and one was warm white so thankfully I was able to prise the back off and swap out the light to white.

That unit itself was very easy to put together comprising only three parts one of which is clear. The liquid mask (admittedly not my favourite substance) came into it's own as it was used to mask off the padding sections inside the storage unit (you can also see the two pilots chairs in the second pic but I'll get to them in a mo.

The pilots chairs where made up of 5 separate pieces and where easy to put together apart from the arm rests which decided to play silly buggers with me until battered into submission with CA glue.

I went with the yellow again for the chair padding and Alclad chrome for the rest of the chairs.

Once a dullcote was applied and dried the chairs where glued into place.

I wasn't happy with the console on the right in the above picture as it looked a bit rough to me so I gently sanded it smooth and repainted it and it looks far better now. It wouldn't have been seen when the model was complete but it was really bugging me.

And this is where we are so far and I hope you like what you see. I will work on the two side airlocks over the weekend so more updates soon.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:29:02 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 06:23:56 am »
Looking great Iain!

The yellow for the chairs is a great choice. It's not a colour you see a lot so it really catches the eye. It's really looking good  :)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 06:48:55 am »
how the heck did you so perfectly mask those chairs!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline PCabral

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 07:40:40 pm »
Very, very cool, this pegasus model!
I like the complexity of the assembly, and the need for a strong and careful pre-assembly planning.
I will like to see it finished!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2019, 03:12:36 am »
Thanks folks.

Karve - I don't know why I went for yellow TBH as I had originally planned to use green but it just didn't look right so after some experimenting I went with the yellow for all the "padded" areas. Red was too harsh and blue just looked naff.

Scott - it was accomplished by copious amounts of swearing, grinding of teeth and no alcohol for 24hrs.

Attention has moved to the two side panels which I always thought where airlocks but they are just panels. Each part has a mind boggling two pieces to it but that got bumped up to three once the PE part was added. Talking of which I decided to put the PE parts in backwards and mount the backlit films onto them to hopefully make them look like touchscreens like the panels at the front.

The panels where sprayed in adhesion promoter and left to dry for a bit.

The units added to the top of the panels had to be cut in order for the PE parts to be added.

The top units where glued to the side panels and left overnight to cure.

The parts where also light blocked (need to pick up some more black spray paint soon).

Last but not least the whole sections where initially primed to highlight any flaws and just got a little touch up to do and then I'll prime once more and get ready to paint.

And that's where we are so far. After being in modelling Limbo for a bit this build has reignited my modelling bug. Just got to decide whether to start my own 1/350 refit (not sure if that one has been done on these forums before) next or tackle a dinosaur.

Thanks for watching and all your comments.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:16:42 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2019, 03:01:04 am »
Honey! I'm home.

Back with another wee update on the Mars Hopper.

I have been working on the side panels and have them primed and painted with the first top coat (really need to mix up some more lightened White Grey before long). Left the pieces overnight to cure properly.

Once that was done I got the lighting installed with x3 3mm white leds per side.

I went onto the detail painting on the panels and it was here that I realised I had made a wee boob and should have left the leds off until this bit was done but it was too late. Not really a problem just annoying TBH with the wires refusing to behave themselves.
I got the areas masked off they where easy to paint which just left the round circular thingy in the centre to be done. The back lit decals in the next couple of pics are just placed on top to see what they will look like once glued into place.

Those round thingies were sprayed Alclad chrome and once again I left the lot overnight to dry fully.

A quick light test to make sure everything was working and as usual the camera over exposed the light and they are nowhere near as bright in reality.

Next item on the agenda was to start to put the cockpit together and this is where we are now.

I still have some work to do in this area first of which is to take care of a couple of light leaks in the side panels and you can just make out the black paint I used in the last three pics. Going to leave those bits alone for at least 24hrs so that paint is dry and then I can repaint and get those areas blended into the rest of the cockpit.

The dashboard and rear hatch assemblies will be next after I get those light leaks dealt with but that will be the interior pretty much done.

Thanks for watching and I hope you like what you see.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 03:25:14 am »
Me again folks.

Thanks to breaking my collarbone last week at Karate this build is on hold for at least six weeks.

Maybe I should concentrate more on my modelling than trying to be Bruce Lee. Only happened last Thursday and off work for ar least the next 6-8 weeks and already bored to tears. One good thing though is I will be able to watch the Superbowl as it's on at 1am UK time in the morning and as I am getting naff all sleep just now all I need is a supply of beer, painkillers and popcorn.

I tried doing some work on the interior but with only one hand it was a total waste of time so getting even more bored.

Be back in a couple of weeks/months/whenever.
Iain

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2019, 04:40:41 am »
Take care Iain....Wow that's tough. Find some good books to read, listen to music, watch a pile of movies...you'll get through.  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2019, 05:29:10 am »
Thanks Karve.

Will find out next week if I am going to need surgery (hopefully not and the nursing staff are fairly/sort of certain it won't happen) which will mean a 6mth recovery period.
Iain

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2019, 05:53:06 am »
Ugh. Not a fun bone to break (not that many are, but that one is worse than most). Take care, and here's to a speedy recovery!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2019, 12:23:29 pm »
Oh S***!

Just had the hospital off the phone (on a Sunday no less) and the orthopaedic consultant is concerned about the break and wants to discuss the options on Wednesday which makes me now think surgery is now on the agenda. I will finish this build and start my own 1/350 refit one day.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2019, 08:08:35 am »
Iain, WOW! That is a tough...uh...break! (Sorry; had to!)

Karate, huh?! What style? What belt?!

Speaking as one who had a broken part and surgery, it's gonna be "fun". I hope things go well and you are back up and building soon.

Get well soon!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 03:38:54 am »
Thanks Steve.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply as much of my time just now is spent string at four walls in sheer boredom and it's an effort just to get up TBH.

I have only being doing Karate (Shotokan) for just on a year now and am an orange belt which is the third ranking so got a long way to go before I earn my black belt and hopefully I will be able to go back once the shoulder/collarbone is sorted.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc