Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MLEV (Pegasus Hobbies)  (Read 2977 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: MLEV (Pegasus Hobbies)
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2019, 09:29:21 am »
I really must take heed of what the docs say but they're not the ones sitting here staring at the same four walls for the past couple of weeks.

Anyhoo! It's been fiddly work basically working with one good arm/hand but I have made some pretty good progress on the kit and have the interior cockpit all done and finished up. I know I have said this a few times before in other posts but for such an expensive kit it has some really major fit problems - none that can't be overcome with a bit of work but this kit cost me the better part of 300GBP and some of the cockpit components just don't go where they are supposed to such as the bunk bed unit but we got there,

First up the internal cockpit put together at last and prior to attaching the roof section after getting that bit primed and painted.

I used some of the kit supplied decals to add to the yellow panels so they looked control panels for the airlock and the doors. These were going to be surplus as I had used the photoetch transparencies in their place.

Used another kit supplied decal to spruce up the front airlock once I had resprayed the padded areas yellow to be in sync with the rest of the model.

Once all that was done it was time to attach the internal window frame once it had been painted and sealed.

Forgot to say the circular roof section has been painted the same white/grey as the rest of the cockpit and the centre "door" section painted in chrome. This piece has a circular clear plastic piece that has been glued into place and a couple of coats of dullcote to diffuse the eventual lighting I will attach to the relevant section of the hull when that time comes.

At this point I was really pushing my luck as my shoulder is killing me but after a couple of hours fiddly work with the soldering iron all the internal lights have been hooked up and checked to make sure they work as needed.

Next it will be time to start on the outer surface and all the details that will entail but I am going to rest up for a bit before my arm falls off.

Thanks for watching this latest build and all the comments posted.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:34:15 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2019, 05:11:57 am »
Hi sports fans!

Work on the kit has been a slow grind as my left arm is still in a sling but I have made some pretty good progress after I finished up the cockpit interior.

Started off getting the two hull spheres light blocked after I attached the maneuvering engine mounts (these parts can gimball but will also be lit so at this stage it's one or the other).

Once that was sorted it was onto some accent pieces that get attached to the hull from the inside. At this point I was thinking ahead to the main overall colour scheme and after looking at/watching a ton of NASA/ESA stuff I saw that modern space vehicles are pretty bland on the outside so I decided not to go mad with any accent painting but I will start to pick out some various panels across the surface when the build gets to the final stages.

These inserts will eventually hold antennas and what looks like some type of rader dish.

Not so the hull would be completely boring I sprayed the add on piping Aclad Magnesium and Chrome and hand painted the pipes Polished Brass.

Some of the more interesting details on the inserts where painted Duck Egg Blue which can't really be seen TBH but as I said I didn't want to go overboard with any detail painting.

There we have it so far. I have started work on those four engines that can gimbal and I'll post up some pics on the next update.

Thanks for watching.
Iain

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2019, 05:16:57 am »
Looks fantastic Iain!

I love what you did with the inside, and I think your 'less is more' approach to the outside will work perfectly.  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 03:03:32 pm »
Thanks Karve!
Iain

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2019, 05:31:06 pm »
I'm liking that interior... like something from 2001:  A space odyssey.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2019, 02:44:31 am »
I'm liking that interior... like something from 2001:  A space odyssey.

Thanks for that - at first I wasn't too sure how using yellow would pan out but it just looked right to me after experimenting with various other colours.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2019, 07:46:36 am »
Lovin your exterior detail, Iain!

This is turning out to be a wonderful build!

Stay the course.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2019, 02:50:22 am »
Thanks Steve.

Glad you're watching the build.

Looking increasingly likely that I am heading for surgery on the shoulder which will put me out of action for about 3 months so trying to get as much as possible done without compromising the build quality (did that actually make sense?).

Anyhoo! I have one half of the body sphere 90% completed and I'll do the detail painting once the main body is completed. The other half will virtually be a carbon copy of this one so I won't post up too many pictures of that.

The four engines as seen above where sprayed in Alclad Duraluminium and then giving a dusting of Pale Burnt Metal before the edges of the engine bells where given a blast of Alclad Jet Exhaust. There are little "vent" photoetch inserts in each engine but I just can't get a decent picture of that. These four engines can be easily lit up if so desired but I decided against that as I thought it would be a bit of overkill as the four side engines and the main one will be lit plus all the external blinkies as well.

Just for a bit of foresight I thought I'd see how the model will eventually look with the cockpit in place.

Last up for this wee update is the PE inserts for the four side engines. According to the instructions these should be inserted before the engine halves are glued together but there is very large and noticeable seam that would have to be attended to which I think would be much harder to deal with if those inserts are in place.

The first pic is an engine with the insert installed as per the instructions.

And secondly just popped into the engine bell after it was taped together.

In all honesty and if I didn't know any better I cannot see any difference in the two pics and once the bells are painted up and lit I think they'll be fine so at this point I think I'll go with the easy cop-out and pop the PE grills in one the bells are glued together and those seams sorted but I would be interested to hear what you think.

Thanks for watching.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:26:39 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2019, 10:16:32 pm »
I think grilles in after bells are assembled and puttied is a good plan.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2019, 07:42:30 am »
Back again for a wee update.

With the four side motors I just went with the easy option of putting the bells together and popping the PE in part later. The engines where painted in a similar fashion to the smaller engine.

I thought that was that with this part of the build. Each of the four larger engines get some kit supplied gold foil wrapped around the knobbly bit that goes into the model. Here I made a boob (sort of!) and put some foil around the lower part of the engines and you can just about see what I mean in the next two pics.

Once I realised my mistake it was easy to peel off the foil but the kit supplied foil is about 8" by 6" and TBH even if I hadn't made this boob I honestly don't think there is enough of that foil to do all four engines as required and also some other areas on the kit that get the foil treatment. Anyway - I have ordered up some more gold foil and I'll get those engines sorted when it hopefully arrives early next week. Once that's done I can get the two halves finally joined up and any issues dealt with.

The kit has several areas for spot lights to be fitted and there are several chromed light fittings that get installed and once an appropriate sized led in place and checked there are some PE grills that get glued into place.

Moving right along it was time to start on the centre section that will eventually join the hull halves together. This part was first light blocked (really need to get some of that paint soon) then flipped over and the upper surface primed and painted. There is an upper hatch that gets installed and that was painted in Alclad Chrome with some Pale Gold accent pieces.

There are also various pipes and so forth that get installed along this centre section and these have been painted in gold, chrome and duraluminium.

There are two hatches that get installed along this centre area and there is the facility to install some lighting so 3mm green, red and white leds where fitted and light blocked from behind with Tulip paint. I was going to hook up the hatch external lighting to the Tena board but decided to leave it be as I thought the eventual finished kit would look too much like a mad, mental Christmas ornament if there where too many blinkies onboard.

As I said earlier I am just waiting on some gold foil to arrive so I can get the four engines finished and installed and therefore finish joining the two hull sections so in the meantime I have the main window finished. A bit fiddly to do with only one good arm/hand but I got there.

Looking ahead I wondered how to get the cockpit lit up as if it had normal lighting installed and I decided on a ring of white 0805 single density tape set around the upper area. Previously when I had the cockpit finished it is capped off with a circular piece of clear styrene which is the "roof". This piece has previously been coated several times in dullcote and a frosting spray for some diffusion. I decided to cut that length of led tape into four sections so that if one part fails I will still have some lighting.

The obligatory light test.

And just before I finish up this update here's what it looks like on the inside with all the internal lighting working together for the first time and without/with the main cockpit window in place.

There we have it so far with this build. I don't want to do anything else to the main body until I have the sections joined. Once that is done I can move onto the tripod undercarriage once I figure out where to route the wiring.

I hope you like what you see so far.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2019, 09:59:13 am »
Iain,

Those bell housings look great! Your lighting looks film worthy!

Keep going! I'm lovin' it!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2019, 03:14:10 am »
Thanks Steve.

Got a bit further on since the last update but just haven't had the time to do a proper update with pictures and so forth. I also haven't forgotten about replying to your pm. Back from the hospital and am now on the waiting list for the shoulder operation so living day to day next to the house/mobile phones.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2019, 03:46:13 am »
Back again.

Firstly Steve I still haven't forgotten about answering your pm - been in/out of various hospitals getting this damn collar bone sorted and now going for a CAT Scan prior to surgery. When I'm not getting poked and prodded I am out of my face on painkillers and various other meds.

Anyhoo! Enough rambling and on with the update. The gold foil I ordered arrived and I was able to get the four manoeuvring engines finished up and attached to the main body.

Once I was happy with that it was time to finally get the two hull sections joined and that was a total B**ch as the halves did not want to be joined and it honestly took the better part of an hour to finally batter them into submission. It didn't help matters that I only have one good arm just now so in hindsight I probably should have waited. Got some seam/putty work to attend to and surprisingly there where only two little light leaks to attend to. One of the forward headlights popped out thanks to the abuse the aforementioned joining caused but that was fairly easy to fix. Need to repaint the chrome upper airlock hatch as it was rubbed off by my grubby fingerprints but again an easy fix whenever I get around to it but just now I can't even look at the main hull.

Work moved onto the landing legs and after the previous trials these went together easily with minimal seam work. The instructions say to paint them white like the rest of the hull which they where but I decided to pick out some of the details to try to make them look a bit more interesting. All three had gold foil attached to the upper areas.

Each of the "feet" has a little cone shaped thingy at the front which just cries out to have an led installed and so each had a white 3mm led put in place (need to get a pic of them working). Just got to decide whether to hook those lights up to either the strobe or nav circuit or juts the main lights?

Last but by no means least it was onto the main undercarriage section where the main "ball" will eventually sit. Not a huge parts count for this bit on the whole but the pieces where rather large and the vast bulk of other parts, of which there are plenty will be detail pieces.

This structure also has various nooks and crannies that just demand some lighting and various 3mm holes have been drilled and I did order up some flashing leds of various colours but then decided not to use them as there would be enough blinkies when the kit is complete so those lights will be static yellow/orange lights at the back. the underside will have three RGB lights installed to add some life to that part.

There we have it for this update and as always I hope you like what you see.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:58:27 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2019, 06:24:42 am »
Simply outstanding Iain!
  I can't believe what you're accomplishing here....and with only one good arm. (I really hope that improves quickly for you).

Like I said before, you're really setting 'the bar' higher all the time for the rest of us.....great job!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2019, 08:07:51 am »
Thanks for the kind comments Kevin - much appreciated.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc