Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tulip Fabric Paint  (Read 256 times)

Offline Merrittk54

• Lieutenant
Tulip Fabric Paint
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:56:57 am »
Can the black Tulip fabric paint be used on the exterior of a model to fill in a tiny void for light blocking and as a filler?  Can it be smoothed or sanded if necessary?

I have a couple places on my Refit saucer section that need both a light-blocker and a filler.  It's where the sidewalls meet with the saucer and with each other.  I am unable to access the areas from the inside. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

-Merrittk54

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
Re: Tulip Fabric Paint
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:13:08 am »
It can't really be sanded as far as I've seen.  It's way to flexible for that.  It sort of ends up being like a rubber texture after it dries.   They do have different colors of the stuff though.  I have black and white for my work.   I use it to glob onto the insides of LED's.  Really quick and easy.    You can use it on the outside of the model but I would use it sparingly. 

It's definitely good to have in your took kit for sure.    They make different size bottles too.  Just get a small bottle of white and see what you think.   It should actually work pretty well for the seams of the saucer if it is kind of pushed in there and made smooth before it sets up. 

If nothing else just use it for extra light block inside your next model.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 03:53:42 pm »
Can the black Tulip fabric paint be used on the exterior of a model to fill in a tiny void for light blocking and as a filler?  Can it be smoothed or sanded if necessary?

I have a couple places on my Refit saucer section that need both a light-blocker and a filler.  It's where the sidewalls meet with the saucer and with each other.  I am unable to access the areas from the inside. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

-Merrittk54

Tulip paint is really good as a light blocker - on the inside of the build.

As a filler for voids on the exterior of the model, I have used Millput or Perfect Plastic Putty (PPP). Granted they are both white (I used the ultrafine Millput and it is white when set), but if you still have to add some primer and paint to the model, they take paint will and the paint will aid in light blocking. The Millput if stronger than the PPP (it's used to mend china plates - no, seriously!) and I have found it to sand and smooth better than PPP.

The Millput is more tedious to work with as, in it's workable stage, it is like play-do. But once set it smooths well and takes the paint well, too. PPP is better for smaller voids and, once set, also takes smooths well and takes the paint well.

Another void filler is "Bondo Glazing and spot putty". This will give the void an unsightly red appearance while setting, but once set after 5 days or so (IMHO), you can sand and paint this with excellent results as well.

Hope this helps!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Merrittk54

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 06:05:12 pm »
Thanks everyone!  Huge learning curve going on here, but it's great.  Everyone is so helpful! ;D

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 10:48:09 pm »
For a cheap and easy exterior void filler, some modelers dissolve chopped up sprue in liquid cement to create a sort of thick matrix. Adheres to other polystyrene bits, is sandable and paintable.

Enterprise © Bloc