Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about scribing over putty  (Read 119 times)

Offline coreysan

• Commander
Question about scribing over putty
« on: October 27, 2018, 03:44:56 pm »
I have a seam that was puttied. Now I'd like to scribe a panel line, but I'd be scraping into the puttied
surface, not the plastic.

Are there any tips to make sure the putty doesn't chip or fray while cutting into it?

I tried one test where I lightly covered over a puttied area with Mr. Surfacer 500. It hardened into a
plastic-like surface, and the cut looked better.

Any thoughts?

Online ImWolf

• Admiral
Re: Question about scribing over putty
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 06:01:48 pm »
I tried something similar with Tamiya white putty, which dries very hard. There was some minor flaking but over all the putty held up well.

Your best bet is to create a test piece using the same putty you used on the seam work and see what happens....  :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 05:47:47 am »
What kind of scribing tools do you have? I avoid scribing putty like the plague, but when it's inevitable I use fine scribing saws instead of the ol' needle-in-a-pin-vise. They seem to be less prone to chipping.

Offline coreysan

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 08:59:11 pm »
I have an exacto #11, and wax carving tools. I also have the umm-usa 01 scriber.
I agree - I tried as hard as I could to avoid this, but alas. I'm working on the PL 1/350
Refit, and assembled the secondary hull, but the seam just wouldn't come together well,
so I puttied it with Tamiya white.

I have a test hull so I've puttied it a few times, testing various techniques. Just wondered if
there's a good way to avoid the slight chipping.

Any thoughts?

Enterprise © Bloc