Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A (mostly) TMP Enterprise Refit 1/350  (Read 240 times)

Offline I_Speak_Klingon

• Ensign
A (mostly) TMP Enterprise Refit 1/350
« on: October 27, 2018, 06:12:00 pm »
Hi everyone!

Well, here we go.  :o

This summer, I began work on a 1/350 Enterprise refit. Not much modeling experience (see my previous post in the Introductions forum) but WOW this is fun. This first post will detail some of the progress I've made and my plans for how to move forward.

Also... before I start... I just want to say, again: Thank You. You all have created such an outstanding resource for modelers. Your tips, tricks, advice, and encouragement have already been so valuable to me and I've barely even begun!

As for my plan... well... I've decided to do a TMP based version... mostly;) As I was planning, prepping, and making initial decisions, there were a number of things I realized I'd be leaving out by sticking to a screen accurate TMP model. For example, the TWOK uniforms are, in my opinion, beautiful. So, I decided to make my miniature figures dressed in TWOK outfits! Also, I discovered DLM's Dining Room replacement for the VIP Lounge. And, since the VIP Lounge never really stood out to me as a great scene, I decided to replace it with the Enterprise A's Dining Room part. (I'm just pretending the VIP Lounge was refitted after the V'ger incident!)

Below, I've attached some pictures of my work so far. As many suggested, I started with the interiors: specifically, the arboretum and the shuttle bay.

The arboretum was... tedious. But, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I ended up ordering the Green Strawberry parts because those benches are just too cool. (Though, FYI they are a PAIN to put together.) I started by drilling the "trees" and water out completely. Then, I also drilled out a doorway for an open corridor and some parts of the walls so light shines through the decals. Then, I put some thin styrene across the bottom of the ponds, painted it blue, and filled it with Krystal Klear. My hope is that I get a slight glow to the water.

I still need to put in the people and figure out who is in there and what they're doing, but overall... I'm pleased! (And, happy to be done with the little bugger.)

Oh, and one more thing: I'm posting more photos over on my Instagram account (same name there). Not as much commentary, but there are more up-to-date photos, in case you're interested!
And how we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
Re: A (mostly) TMP Enterprise Refit 1/350
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 05:44:03 am »
I  love your take on the arboretum! Impressive results for someone with "not much modeling experience". I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 12:55:01 am »
Nice arboretum

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 07:04:42 am »
Looks nice, though I would consider adding a slight matte varnish to avoid having satin looking walkways.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 01:04:01 pm »
Looking Great, Klingon!

Impressive results for someone with "not much modeling experience".

I agree with CrowTRobot! Given this excellent example, I think you may be modestly understating your prowess! :)

Keep this up! You're doing awesome!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline I_Speak_Klingon

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »
Thanks everyone for the responses and encouragement! As for updates... things are moving along nicely so far.

I continued a bit of work on the arboretum filling in the ponds more until they looked full. Strangely, I found the Krystal Klear to always shrink up, so I ended up using a lot more than expected to fill to an appropriate water level. Looking at it now, I may have even gone a bit over board. Ah well. As others have expressed frequently... I feel like it's time to step away from the arboretum considering the around of time and energy I've put into it. It's such a small part of the model.

Looks nice, though I would consider adding a slight matte varnish to avoid having satin looking walkways.

Thanks for the advice Decoman. I'm curious, would you recommend hand painting the matte varnish on? If so, should I thin it a bit with something beforehand?

Work on the model has continued as I began the shuttle bay. As with the arboretum, this is a place where I get to be creative, and have fun. There was only one shot fo the bay in TOMP (which I've tirelessly studied). And, there are a lot of choices to make. For example... lighting! What kind of lighting system will I use? Where do I want light coming in? Do I want to do the running lander lights? What about colors? How dark do I want to make the floors? Green walls???

Hahaha, at times it felt like a puzzle I had to put together in my head first. You have to plan for so many things in scale modeling! And, so many of YOU have contributed such cool customizations and ideas!

But, first things first... do the cutting and drilling! I decided that even if I don't end up doing the runner landing light, I might as well leave myself the option. So, I printed off a template (found in one of the forums here!), scaled it to an appropriate size... and used my smallest dremmel bit to make holes (pictured below).

I also used Boyd's puttying technique for flattening out the injection molds.

And, finally, I LOVED the shuttle bays of others that included a ceiling mounted control booth, so I scratch built one! Lemme tell you... working with stuff this small is so hard. I probably trashed about 3 control booths before I finally felt like this one would work.

Below are some pics of the progress:
And how we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?

Enterprise © Bloc