Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Revell Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider -- Completed  (Read 66 times)

Offline AlW

• Captain
Revell Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider -- Completed
« on: October 31, 2018, 08:11:59 am »
This completed build is Revell's re-release of the BSG TOS version of the Cylon Raider to commemorate Battlestar Galactica's 30th anniversary.  It's already a somewhat vintage kit, which came out in 2007 at a scale of 1/64, or half the size of the Mobius Cylon Raider which is still in production.

It was a fairly simple build that I made more complicated by redoing the phaser cannons and installing 1mm fiber to a randomly firing blue LED.  I added a pair of white flickering LEDS to each of the rear engines, added 3mm yellow "headlights", added a pair of white LEDs to the bottom under the wings (sort of landing lights) and backed the cockpit louvers with three sections of red LED strip lights.  I was hoping to open up the louvers by routing them out, but at this scale it just wasn't possible.  I lightly painted the louvers so some red light would shine through where the cockpit glass would normally be visible.

The Raider was airbrushed with AMMO by Mig acrylics using Cold Gray as the base and Stone Gray for highlights.  Tamiya flat black was used for striping.  I didn't use the kit-supplied decals except for the Cylon emblem on the wings.

I did some minimal weathering on the leading edges with Tamiya weathering pastel (soot).  Simple to use and pretty effective in this application.

If you've seen my other builds, you know I like creating a dynamic mounting arrangement and chose to mount the Raider in a takeoff configuration.  The base is an inexpensive Hobby Lobby plastic frame with an ABS plastic sheet that I painted with lime green stripes in a fashion to show movement.  I used a bending spring to put a couple sharp bends in a 1/4 inch brass tube to make the support rod less visible.  Thankfully, the brass tube didn't kink, or at least didn't kink to the point where the wires wouldn't fit through!  Overall, I think it all works pretty well together considering the scale of the ship.

Thanks for looking!  Happy to answer any questions.

Al

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
Re: Revell Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider -- Completed
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 08:58:35 am »
i love the lighting and base! Nice work.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:10:54 pm »
Thanks, Dave!  It was mostly a fun build;)

Sorry about the rotated images -- they were all in the correct orientation when I uploaded them.  If anyone has an idea for why they're all off 90 degrees, let me know and I can re-post.  Thanks.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 12:30:38 am »
Good job!

Enterprise © Bloc