Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BSG Colonial Viper Mk vii with custom base  (Read 113 times)

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
BSG Colonial Viper Mk vii with custom base
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:08:33 am »
The build thread, such as it is, is here: http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=7580.0.

This is only my third model since I was a teenager (I'm almost 53), so it's been a while and a huge learning curve. The first two were Bandai models, a TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor.

The base was a $12 picture frame with foam core to support the actual deck, which was cut from a FOR SALE sign I picked up at Lowe's. The paint and weathering weren't modeled after anything, just what I felt like doing.

This was my first time using photo etch, and it was pretty challenging. I picked up both a Green Strawberry and ParaGrafix set, and sort of combined bits of both. The Green Strawberry engine nozzle inserts just did not fit no matter what. The cockpit itself was tough to fit in the fuselage even with grinding out most of the interior around it (I actually cut through inadvertently in a few places and had to putty). Though I'm sure it didn't help that I had 11 LEDs in the cockpit for lighting.

I kept the weathering on the Viper itself fairly minimal. It's easy to go overboard and I didn't want to make this one too banged up.

I'm still learning how to airbrush properly, and I have the soldering skills of a half-dead hamster. I really need to work on both.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, i only have my iPhone to use and the indoor lighting is horrible.

If you have any questions, let 'em fly!

Some weathering close ups.

So much putty along the body seams to get the stupid cockpit to fit. Thank god for weathering to cover up the larger mistakes.

You won't see much of the underside once it's mounted.

I added a scratch-built throttle since the kit only has one mounted in the pilot's hand, and I'm not using the pilot.

The Galactica and Viper decals here are silvering pretty badly. Not sure what happened. Grrr...

Engine lights flicker.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:17:17 am by modelerdave »

Offline AlW

• Captain
Re: BSG Colonial Viper Mk vii with custom base
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:08:51 pm »
Dave, you really did this Viper justice!  The paint color and weathering are perfect.  The cockpit, though, is by far the best example of lighted instruments I've seen.  I struggled with lighting the cockpit in my Mk II so I know how tough it is to get the kind of realism you've achieved!  Great job!

Looking forward to many more of your builds.  Any idea what's next up?

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:59:29 pm »
Dave, you really did this Viper justice!  The paint color and weathering are perfect.  The cockpit, though, is by far the best example of lighted instruments I've seen.  I struggled with lighting the cockpit in my Mk II so I know how tough it is to get the kind of realism you've achieved!  Great job!

Looking forward to many more of your builds.  Any idea what's next up?

Thank you! I admit I'm pretty happy with how the cockpit came out. Though making it fit was a chore.

I am keeping with the BSG theme and building Colonial One next. Fully lit, engines and all. I already have the base (which will have landing lights) mostly built. Though I have a Revell F-14C that is actually a pretty crappy kit that I may build just to get more practice.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 05:26:15 pm »
Dave, I built the Colonial One too and you might want to check out my WIP on this site to avoid some of the pitfalls.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 07:05:35 pm »
Dave, I built the Colonial One too and you might want to check out my WIP on this site to avoid some of the pitfalls.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

I already looked up your build (which is great!). I do tons of research on a kit before buying it.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:32:21 am »
I really like the finish on this. 

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 02:41:44 am »
Might have been a PITA to get that pit in but wow- it makes all the difference!
Live that lit compartment on the base - that's super cool
Great work Dave - look forward to seeing your next project!
Si

Offline Mastermis

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:32:32 am »
Again, I have come here. And never disappointed.

Enterprise © Bloc