Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Colonial One  (Read 190 times)

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
Battlestar Galactica Colonial One
« on: November 05, 2018, 01:17:43 pm »
Continuing my Galactica roll after the Viper Mk VII build, up next is Colonial One. As with the Viper, I'm building a lit custom base for added effect.

I've heard the decals are rather difficult to fit, and I'm unclear why the blue sections are two different shades of blue. I may skip the decals for the blue parts and try to mask and paint, but that is to be determined.

Dry fit after a coat of black primer inside and out.

Main engines cut out for lighting. I'm planning to light the main engines and three outboard engines, as well as all of the windows and a downward-facing spotlight on the front left side of the ship.

Main engines with photo etch inserts added.

Drilling out the main fuselage holes. They are supposed to be square but I didn't have any real way (or patience) to make them square. No files I have are small enough. I may opt to use the photo etch as "armor" (really more like cladding) to square them off, but the PEs lack some detail so I may either add to them or cut them down. Another "up in the air" at this point.

Main engine lighting test.

Base before final-ish weathering. Again, this is a picture frame with foam core for support and a piece of a FOR SALE sign as the actual deck. The white and yellow lines are paint. The rest are after-market decals I picked up and added. There is also fiber optic lighting.

Pulling the fiber optics through.

Underside of the base. One 3mm white LED is for all of the white lights, which are one steady. The reds are separate and flash in sync.

I've added more blast marks on the pad with oil paints.

That's it for now!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:01:50 pm by modelerdave »

Offline AlW

• Captain
Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial One
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 04:31:16 pm »
Great start on this one, Dave!  Really like custom bases and yours looks terrific with the landing lights.  Looking forward to more on this build:)

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 05:39:50 pm »
Thank you! I'm a slow builder but I'm going to try to be better about regular updates.

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 05:51:19 pm »
This is a rendering and not a model but it's the look I'm going to shoot for. I really like the very subtle aztecing on the conning tower and I'm going to see if I can replicate it.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 07:47:23 pm »
That looks awesome.   Love the base too.  Very cool.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline blakeh1

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 12:43:24 pm »
Coming along nicely!

Offline Plaztek

• Commander
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 07:15:46 pm »
You are doing a great job on the base, cant wait to see it all lit up.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:13:19 pm »
Not a whole lot to update. I've been working on the outboard engines and the landing gear. Here is a quick light test I did with one of the engines. I wanted to see if the LED would be bright enough for what I wanted (it's really small). It should be fine. I will have to filter it a bit so it's not such a point-source but that won't be a problem.

I added bits of wire as antennas to make the model a little more accurate, since the kit doesn't have them. Will be painting this and the engine blast shields this week.

Offline torgg

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 12:39:15 pm »
Looking forward to seeing more. I think the landing pad looks great.

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 07:01:24 pm »
Quick update. Got the engine shields, rear arch, and the rear landing gear painted (mostly). I need to do some touch up and then they'll be weathered later but these are mostly done.

Outside of the shields.

And the inside:

Offline Plaztek

• Commander
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 07:15:04 pm »
They look really good. Nice job. What paints are you using?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 09:58:28 pm »
They look really good. Nice job. What paints are you using?

Thanks. I wanted to go for a darker and more metallic look than the actual ship from the show.

After priming in black I used AK Interactive Extreme Metal Polished Aluminum to cover them, but that was too bright so I went over that with Vallejo Mecha Color Dark Steel, which is pretty great. I think it's a strong color. I used the AK Polished Aluminum for some accent panels and the rivet-looking things. I used Mig Metal Acrylic Jet Exhaust Burnt Iron for some other panels, Tamiya Sky Blue for the center panels on the top, and Alclad copper for the end strips.

I love how these metal paints flow and lay down through an airbrush, but holy hell do they pull up easily! I used Tamiya tape to mask, let everything dry at least 24 hours before masking, didn't press the tape down hard at all, and still this shit came up like crazy! I don't know if it was because the polished aluminum was underneath or just that the paint is very thin (or a bit of both). I fixed most of it but did leave a few bits of the aluminum peek through here and there in small spots where it looked like weathered chipped paint.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #12 on: Today at 09:08:40 am »
That painting job looks awesome, Dave!

Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc