Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Colonial One  (Read 863 times)

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
Re: Battlestar Galactica Colonial One
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 11:56:18 am »
So I've been working on the engines to try and get the wiring and lighting all figured out. The main engines (big blue ones shown earlier) were a piece of cake and are done.

The upper and lower secondary engines, which are the small round ones here, are also pretty easy because the housings connect directly to the main hull.

But the three outboard engines (two to the side and one below), are a huge pain! Well, scratch that. The lower engine will be fine, but the port and starboard engines have this little tiny connecting arm I need to run wire through to get the lights to work. I've got it working, but it's been problematic. I need to build a straight out-of-box kit with no lighting sometime!

I have to get the light wiring through these. I've filed a small channel through them that seems to be working so far. Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:58:56 am by modelerdave »

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 11:58:19 am »
As for the hotspot on the wide engine, there will be a photo etch grill in front of it. I've also added a small piece of wax paper painted with transparent orange between the grill and the light to soften it a little. It will still be hot in the center but a little more diffuse. Since the ship will be parked on a landing pad I'm just going to say that's what they look like when idling or powering up or down!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:59:51 am by modelerdave »

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 04:27:42 pm »
Looking good, ModelerDave!  And yes, the edge of a small needle file should cut the groove you need perfectly;)

Offline blakeh1

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 01:15:43 pm »
This is coming along nicely.

All the attention to details is paying off

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 01:38:08 pm »
I am really, really getting sick of photo etch parts that do not fit where they are supposed to.

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 03:24:27 pm »
The diffusion is better now. I glued a piece of translucent plastic tinted orange to the back of the photo etch grill. The photo etch sucks, to be honest. I'm really tired of photo etch not fitting right. The space they are to fit into is slightly oval, while the PE is completed straight across the top, so there's a little gap. Which, okay, is no big deal. Easy enough to fill with a little bit of tulip for light blocking. But the rounded ends are also too big by just a little bit, so you can't close the two engine halves without crushing and bending the PE. And trying to file down the curved parts of a tiny grill is pretty hard to do without bending them all to hell. These really should have been made better.

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 07:20:17 am »
Quick update:

All of the engines are working and have been sealed. They still need another pass with putty on the seams, then I'll repaint and consider them complete until weathering, which I won't do until after they are attached to the model. The holes for wiring have all been drilled into the fuselage as well.

Test of the upper and main engines. Just a dry fit. There's a big seam inside the upper engine I need to fix.

I decided to add a small floodlight to the lower front fuselage. This is just dry fit and still needs to be light blocked, but I got the effect I wanted. The white paint is just rattle-can primer that hasn't been sanded yet. I'm also going to try to make my own very subtle aztec paint scheme on the upper hull.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 07:34:12 am »
Those lights look awesome, Dave!

This is really turning into a work of art!

Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 03:38:10 pm »
Minor update...

I painted some panels to add some variation and added a smoked, burnt end to the engine exhaust. I did this for all of the engines.

Photo etch for the cockpit and lounge windows. The clear parts in the kit completely suck and I won't be using them. They are way too thick and don't fit the fuselage openings correctly. I will need to add some sort of window film to these. Still mulling options. Any suggestions are welcome!

Strip LEDs glued to the lower fuselage.

Hard to see but I painted some metallic blueish tint on the ends of the bells to create some color variation and a burnt metal look.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:53:12 pm by modelerdave »

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 07:54:45 am »
Incredible work.  Studio quality for sure.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline PCabral

• Ensign
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 10:06:24 am »
Very cool! Congratulations, the base and the lighting are great.

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2018, 04:33:36 pm »
12/1 update.

Another engine lighting test. Nothing is glued yet, just checking to make sure I didn't short anything as I move along.

Photo etch windows filled with Mico Krystal Klear. I did a test first to see if it would cover openings this large, and I was surprised there was enough surface tension in the glue. They are still not quite dry but should look good once installed. Now getting them to fit is another story.

First coat of white on the conning tower, though as I was painting I remembered that I never rescribed some panel lines across the top where the putty and sanding filled them in. Oops! More work for tomorrow.

Another quick lighting test of four of the seven engine lights. These four are all now glued into place.

I did some soldering in the lower fuselage today for the lights and wanted to do a quick check. So far so good!

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 03:43:45 am »
Mate - that's looking awesome!! The lighting is coming up nicely. Are you going to add any kind of diffuser behind the windows like flat coated clear plastic strips or something else?
That PE window is amazing! How did you bend it like that and have it keep it's shape so nicely? I am not the best person when it comes to using PE - specially on complex curves like that wind shield, so I'll take any hints I can get
Is it me, or does the head of this ship remind you of a Mahi Mahi? http://rules.fish.wa.gov.au/species/image/16?thumbnailSize=large
Looking forward to seeing more of this as it comes along Dave
Si

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 07:48:56 am »
Mate - that's looking awesome!! The lighting is coming up nicely. Are you going to add any kind of diffuser behind the windows like flat coated clear plastic strips or something else?
That PE window is amazing! How did you bend it like that and have it keep it's shape so nicely? I am not the best person when it comes to using PE - specially on complex curves like that wind shield, so I'll take any hints I can get
Is it me, or does the head of this ship remind you of a Mahi Mahi? http://rules.fish.wa.gov.au/species/image/16?thumbnailSize=large
Looking forward to seeing more of this as it comes along Dave
Si

Thank you! As for the passenger windows, I am probably going to use Micro Krystal Klear since it worked so well for the cockpit and lounge windows. That will be a close-to-last step because there's no way I want to have to mask all of those windows!

As for PE, I'm still learning a lot, but for these two I annealed them while they were on the fret with just a candle lighter. After I cut them off I carefully bent them around the conning tower openings where they will be glued. The back edges I tweaked a bit with tweezers to get the curve right. Like most PE parts, these don't fit perfectly and I'm unsure how I'm going to get them in and fill gaps but I'll figure that out when I get there! That will be another close-to-last step.

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 08:28:07 am »
And yes, the conning tower/front of the ship does look a little like a fish! lol

Enterprise © Bloc