Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for Tip on applying Paint to Pylon's trailling edge on PL 1/350 Refit  (Read 397 times)

Offline coreysan

• Commander
IS there any trick or tip to this?

1. Should I airbrush the entire pylon first, then mask for the recessed area and paint?
2. Airbrush the recessed area, then mask it before painting the pylon?

Any secrets or tricks, or just a lot of meticulous masking?

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
I went with option #1. I think it's easier to apply darker colors over lighter colors.

Offline coreysan

• Commander
Roger that - thanks!
If you have a WIP for the Refit, let me know. I remember talking about a few tips with you last year,
and you really helped!

Corey

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
I didn't post much WIP, and what little I did didn't include painting the pylon vents. If you're worried about how to mask the rounded ends of the vents then I recommend using a punch and die set (I use this one) to punch small holes of the proper diameter in the masking tape. You can then cut the holes in half and use the semi-circle pieces to mask the ends of the vents.

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
I didn't post much WIP, and what little I did didn't include painting the pylon vents. If you're worried about how to mask the rounded ends of the vents then I recommend using a punch and die set (I use this one) to punch small holes of the proper diameter in the masking tape. You can then cut the holes in half and use the semi-circle pieces to mask the ends of the vents.

I recommend the punch set as well.  They are great for making porthole paint masks.  I like clean uniform starship windows when lighting, so I drill them out, fill them clear, then mask and paint.

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
They're also very useful for masking the rounded corners of model aircraft windscreens and canopies. Once you have a punch
& die set you discover many good uses for it.

Offline coreysan

• Commander
Nice idea - I will look into that..
The recessed area sits down in cavity about
1 mm or so. How do you mask the sides? The hard way?

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
Nice idea - I will look into that..
The recessed area sits down in cavity about
1 mm or so. How do you mask the sides? The hard way?

It's not too hard: just mask the sides with straight strips of masking tape. No irregular shapes or compound curves to fuss with.

Offline coreysan

• Commander
Thanks for the advice.
Here we go!

Enterprise © Bloc