Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/350 Refit finally starting  (Read 1691 times)

Offline midgetman

• Commander
1/350 Refit finally starting
« on: December 19, 2018, 03:31:54 pm »
Hey guys... been watching Boyds vids on this build and am getting the taste for this now.. here's  what I have and what I will be doing .. I have the kit obviously.. I have orbital drydocks Aztecs 5 colours.. I have trek modellers paint guide. I have transpar or something interference paints (water based not laquered)... all I want is some tips if I ask you lot a few questions... is that ok??

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
Re: 1/350 Refit finally starting
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 03:46:23 pm »
Questions is what this group is all about.  I just started the same model.  I'm just following Boyds lead.  Might as well from the best.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline midgetman

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 04:04:12 pm »
The man is so talented.... I won't be lighting as I have no skill in electrics. Can I use the water based iridescent paints and put a finish coat on and not ruin the shimmering effect?
What base colour and finish are you doing before applying the masks.

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 04:07:24 pm »
I'm not doing the masks, I'm using decals.  I'm using the same sort of paint that Boyd does on the base, but I'm no paint expert.   Have to wait for more answers from others on this.  Sorry.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline midgetman

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 06:41:41 am »
Before laying the decals and or Aztecs..  what base are you using... I was going to Matt white then once complete do a satin laquer finish? Is this right

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 07:30:06 pm »
A clear coat will tone-down the aztecs a bit so they don't contrast as much with the exposed white base color, but I wouldn't say it ruins the effect. It makes it much more subtle which I think looks better in this scale. When in doubt do some testing on a scrap model (or the unused secondary hull bottom) to see it for yourself.

Offline midgetman

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 12:37:51 am »
If not exposing the hanger bay can I leave this out or build and not paint?

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 11:05:24 am »
I would just leave it out.  I'm pretty sure the only way you see this is though the shuttle bay doors.

Shawn

Offline holt35

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 05:28:38 pm »
I agree with Shawn. If you're not lighting the kit just leave the shuttle and garden out as you won't be able to see them anyway. I've built two refits and never lite them or added those parts. Another thing to consider is adding the shuttle bay will make closing up the secondary hull a little more complicated or so I've heard.

Enterprise © Bloc